What tools for SS trim repairs?

Ken47

Supporting Member
My 47 Ford coupe (which has 46 trim (the ribbed style) so it is an early 47) project is progressing more slowly than I had hoped/planned. Today I got the boxes of trim out and decided to polish the trim up to have it ready when I need to install it. Most of it is in pretty good shape but some of it is a bit beat up. I was wondering what tools (obviously a hammer and an anvil) jigs, dollies etc folks have used to straighten trim and remove dents etc. I'm thinking jewlers tools might be a place to start. Any other tricks of the trade you'd like to pass along that would be appreciated too.

I use punches, chisels, pieces of hardwood and pretty much anything I can find in the garage that suits the dent or ding and the piece I'm working on. I make sure I work it all out before I file and sand, there isn't much material there to work with.

Thanks Relic. Do you shape the tool to match the trim profile at the dent location? There is a lot of areas where the rolled edge of the trim is bent. I'm trying to think of what I can use as a backer or dolly to get in there so I can hammer it out straight.

I don't have much experience doing trim, but I have a bunch that needs to get done when I get back on my Ranchero project.
Like Relic stated though, just about anything can be used. For the body work that I do, my best friend is my belt sander. I use same stuff he mentioned. Any size or shape of chisels, and soften all the sharp edges, and grind them to whatever shape matches what you are working on.
I have a couple drawers full of homemade dollies, chisels, and pieces of hardwood.
And you don't need hammers for trim work, let's just call them tappers instead, if you know what I mean.
It also works very well if you are able to, clamp your tool in a vice, so you can use both your hands, one for your tapper, and the other to hold your trim piece.
Show us your progress. Thanks.

Hi. Well I tried my hand at polishing a bit of the stainless trim on the 47. I tried the lower front fender trim first. It's actuall the 47/48 trim profile not the 46 profile on the rest of the car. There were lots of small dents in it. I raised up the dents with a hammer (tapper☺️) and various chisels and punches that I ground to suit. When it was close to smooth I used a file to file the highs off and identify any lows that needed to be raised up to get it smooth. What I learned in this effort was that the file I used was too coarse and left quite deep scratches that I got mostly out with 400 grit sand paper. I need to get a "smooth cut" file. I was able to polish almost all of the rest of the scratches out. I just need to spend some more time on the buffing wheel.

The picture at the link provided shows one complete piece and the other before working on it. I don't know how to post a link now that photobucket has decided I should pay for their hosting service lol. The pic isn't great but hopefully you get an idea of how it is going.
https://imgur.com/a/nCCbN
nCCbN

Last edited:
I have used lead poured into the back of the trim, or over the front of the trim, in a place where it's straight, and used that as a dolley to take out the dents.