What size do I need?

N2RODDIN

I know some of you guys have had this same vehicle before so I want to pick your brain and find out what rim size and tire combo you have used. I remember from the tour last year that someone, I think b-bob, had a 29 Ford Roadster pickup, an Orange one, with fenders and I meant to catch up with him but we always seemed to be a little busy with the tour stuff.

Anyway, my question is what rim size and tire size would you recommend for my 29 Roadster Pickup? I will be running fenders and I want to go radial wide whites.
Other specs:
TCI chassis
Ford 9 inch
Indepenant front suspension
Chevy Bolt pattern

What do I need?

thanks

Jamie

Last edited:
jamie,.... with your tci setup you should easily run 195/205-70 14 on 6" rims on the front.... that will tuck them under the fenders perfectly.... for the rear why not be tryin' at least 235/70s on 8" rims... that should poke the cantilever of the tire out of the fender just a bit fer 'the look!.... i used a durant monoleaf on the front o' the phonebooth an' actually had to be careful crankin' the wheels into parking lots fer fear o' barkin' the tires on the fender braces,.... but it "did" look fine!! you probably have a tire guy that can set you up with a couple o' trial combos..... we do here an' the fellas are always willin' to help.... good luck bud...........

Giday Jamie, On my old roadster Pickup I ran 31" tall tires on the rear, I guess that is where you have the concern, on the front I ran a 14" rim as per Davey has said here.

With the rear tyres they did look to big in the wall on a 15" rim. I was at a friends shop yesterday and he is running a 17" rim on his 32 roadster with a fairly good wall tyre I'll find out what the size is for you and it looked to be a better proportion as in the tires were not the rubber band type.

When I had the 31" tall tyre they filled the wheel arch just right and there was no hassel getting the wheel off. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 28" tire though.

If you go too small on the rear there will be way to much of a gap around the tyre and the fender. Maybe a tyre shop could help you by just lending you some tires to take home a sit in the wheel arch so itwill give you an idea on the sixe you need. Remember though that when the bare tire without a rim will come down in size an inch or 2 when it is fitted to the rim.

I just tried to put a pic here but it wont let me post a photo when modifying a post, never mind I'll do a seperate pic the afternoon.

I hope this helps, John

Last edited:
Jamie something you may want to try is measure the diameter of your fender opening and cut out a circle a little bigger.Drill your chev bolt pattern in it and put it on.Then you can cut the circle smaller untill you get the look you like and then talk to the tire people about the dia of tire.

Jamie,
On the Tire Rack's web site they list specs on tires including diameter. Try what you have laying around and go from there for width and offset. On my fendered 29 Model A I'm running a 205-65X15 on a 6" wide rim (almost too tall) and on the rear it's 225-70X15 on a 7" wide rim. This is a "taste" thing....
Clarke

Jamie, how wide is your 9" rear end? I'm mocking up a '28 RPU with Maverick 8" and that gives me a 1/2" more space per side than if I'd gone with a Granada 8". I've got a couple '57-'58 ford 9"s kicking around and even they look to be too wide.

I think 31" tall rubber on the rear of a fendered p/u is borderline too big

Thanks for the help guys.

I had some 8" rims on the truck and there definitely too wide. I wasn't going to use them anyway but had to try them out.

I was thinking 195/60/15 on the front and maybe a 205 or 215/60 or 70/15 on the back. I thought I would like to have a rear tire around 30" to get the right rake. Fronts would be about 25 or 26" on a 5" or 6" rim and the back around 30" on a 7 " rim. Rear end is a 3.70 with an overdrive tranny so I shouldn't have a problem cruising. I'll hit the Tirerack and see

Tin, I can get the measurement for you but it might be a while. I have limited space so the truck is at a friends right now but I'll let you know. I'll try and post a pic or email you one.

Jamie

Tin, not sure if this visual will help or not.

106.jpg

DCP_5012.jpg

Last edited: