Vortec 5.7 Water Pump Question

JONROD

I am planning on using a 5.7 Vortec out of a 1996 GMC Sierra in my current project. I will be converting the engine to carbureted, but was wondering if anyone had any experience or suggestions on converting the serpentine belt system to a v belt system. Can an early style water pump be used on this motor? I understand that the factory Vortec style water pump would be reverse rotation.

Thanks in advance!

5.7 truck is still a small block till 02 . This explains it better than I can.

L31
The Vortec 5700 L31 (Vin code 8th digit "R") is a V8 truck engine. Displacement is 5.7 L. It is the last production Generation I small-block from Chevrolet. The cylinder heads feature combustion chambers and intake ports very similar to those of the LT1 V8, but without the reverse-flow cooling. As such, the L31 head is compatible with all older small-blocks, and is a very popular upgrade. It offers the performance of more expensive heads, at a much lower cost. It does, however, require a specific intake manifold (A 5.7L, 350 CI L31, Vortec engine has eight bolts attaching the intake manifold or four per head, as opposed to the traditional six bolts per head twelve in total found on older Chevrolet small blocks). The L31 was replaced by the 5.3 L 5300 LM7. The 2002 model year was the final year for the L31 5.7 L small block V-8 whose origins date back to 1955. The Vortec 5700 produces 255 hp (190 kW) to 350 hp (261 kW) at 4600 rpm and 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) to 350 lb·ft (475 N·m) of torque at 2800 rpm. It is currently being produced as a crate engine for marine applications and automotive hobbyists as the 'RamJet 350' with minor modifications. Known as the GEN 1+, this was the final incarnation of the 1955-vintage small block, ending production in 2005 with the last vehicle being a Kodiak/Topkick HD truck. Volvo Penta and Mercury Marine still produces the L31. The "MARINE" intake is a potential upgrade for L31 trucks. Using this "MARINE" intake will allow the use of common types of injectors with various flow rates while still maintaining emission compliance.
L31 applications:
1996–2002 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana full-size vans
1996–1999 Chevrolet/GMC C/K full-size trucks
1996–1999 Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Suburban full-size long-wheelbase SUVs
1996–1999 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon (and 2000 Tahoe Limited and 2000 Tahoe Z71 models) full-size short-wheelbase SUVs
1999–2000 Cadillac Escalade
TBI L31 applications
1996 G-Series vans over 8,500 lb (3,856 kg) GVW w/ 4L80E transmission

I converted a 1984 305 with V belts to a serpentine setup from a 1988 Firebird without any problems. Just had to use the proper reverse rotation water pump and fan. You should be able to go the other way without any issues, as long as its not an LT1 type engine with reverse cooling. Just out of curiousity, why switch back to V belts? The serpentine system is more reliable and easier to work with. Is there a space consideration with your project, that won't allow the use of the serpentine setup?

Just out of curiousity, why switch back to V belts? The serpentine system is more reliable and easier to work with. Is there a space consideration with your project, that won't allow the use of the serpentine setup?

The serpentine system would look out of place on my project. The motor will be running a triple deuce intake with lake style headers.