VIN for a 1932 Ford

bhought

I've built a 32 using Welder Series frame rails, and all of the normal stuff for the rest of the frame and running gear. My body is a Rod Action 32 3 Window Coupe. I determined, from all the reading I have done, that the best way was to register the car as a KIT CAR.
Well, I just got back from the MTO and they in formed me that they don't do KIT CARS any more. Anyone have any other suggestions.
Bruce Houghton
Markham Ontario

There are several threads in the "reference material" section of the forum.
Many of them are fairly recent Ontario situations.

Have you checked these out?

I’ve been reading everything I can find on the subject for over a year now, dreading the day when I would finally have to go to the MTO office. Here are some of the articles I have read so far (along with everything in the Reference section of this Forum).

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/How_to_title_a_hot_rod#Registering_a_vehicle_in_Ontario

http://www.canadianrodder.com/features/fyi/registering.htm

Well, a long story short, I went to the MTO office October 16, 2013. I was told rather snippety, “Oh we don’t do Kit cars any more”. She said that I would have to fax my concerns to “Special Inquiry Unit, Ministry of Transportation, Downview Ontario”.
Well here I sit, the dreaded day has come and gone, the FAX has been faxed and I’m sitting here wondering if I will ever get a response, and in what form will it come.
Bruce Houghton

Bruce most of the MTO outlets are privately run some don't have a clue on what to do with anything that is not mainstream . keep us posted as to what reply you get . They have changed the rules so offten I dont think they no longer have a clue. good luck

Randy, where are you when we need you??

Randt was a shop owner who relocated to Ontario and brought along his (non original) 32 Ford roadster. There were Ontarioian issues with getting this beautiful car on the road in Ontario and I believe the 32 ended up in California and was shown at Duece Days in Victoria, B.C. a few months back...

I still wish I had the $$$'s to buy that car before it went east!!!

This is now getting ridicules. The Fax was sent in on the 16th. Still no response. It has been suggested that I make up a VIN number my self, using something like my birthday and ask to have that number registered. Anybody ever tried that?
Q. Anybody know if there is an MTO office in the Toronto Area where one could go and actually talk to a real person who would know something about this kind of stuff?
Bruce Houghton

Thank you Bgbdlinc, and yes I have read this article. It’s a Cut and Paste right out of the MTO web site. The problem seems to be that there has been changes with the Registration of Kit Cars (ASD), Home Made (HOM), and Rebuilt (RBT). Reading the text of that HTML you are referring to, it was my impression that registering my thing as a KIT Car was the way to go. When I went to Service Canada, they informed me that they don’t do Kit Cars any more. So my question is, where do I go. It appears that the Service Canada outlets are nothing more than ordinary workers who know nothing about the MTO, or anything that’s different from renewing license sticker, renewing drivers License, and issuing free health cards to our newest immigrants.
What I need is, where I poke this elephant to elitist a response that will take me to an individual that I can talk to.
Bruce Houghton

hi
get a hold of V MAGEE HE HAS LIKE 10000 OWNERSHIPS Buy one for a 32 and bring it to the DMV . the story goes like this I bought the car way back when and all the sheet metal rotted out, so I bought a glass body to put on my newly refurbished ORIGINAL FRAME

V MAGEE (519) 200- 5534

You are the second person to give me this information. What I’ve got is “George Magee”, 1-519-200-5534. I’ve called this number a couple of times and have not gotten any response. Does anyone know if this is the Correct Magee, and if so, is the phone number correct? I’m dying here.
Bruce Houghton

Scooped from the HAMB

"Here is the info George Tex MaGee 519-200-5534 He sells titles."

I will keep my eyes open for him at Ancaster Swap this Sunday.

Go into Kijiji Classic Cars London,...scroll down on the first page ( he's is generally always on the first page ), you will see an add there stating,... " Taking Offers On Different Projects ",...thats him.

Try emailing him. NOTE - Kijiji Classic Cars London Add ID# 523253521 First Page - " Taking Offers On More Projects "

Last edited:
Well, I've sent an e-mail to him. I sure hope he responds with the the answer I'm looking for...
Bruce Houghton

Bruce, a few things:

- I have contacted the MTO and they say that the information on the "Registering a Vehicle in Ontario" page here at Canadian Rodder is still valid. They have given me updated links though which will change when I can.

- When you registering are car without a VIN, it is the BODY that determines what it is NOT the frame (chassis) unless the VIN is an original, verifiable VIN (see below).

- They say that you can still register the car as current year and Model: KIT asking for an assigned VIN and following the instructions on the above noted page including an appropriate affidavit. The KIT in the model field also removes the car from any Drive Clean associated testing.

I took this from the Drive Clean site just now:
Vehicles exempt from Drive Clean testing requirements:

• all hybrid vehicles (those powered by a combination of internal combustion engines and electric motors)
  • vehicles manufactured before 1988
  • vehicles currently designated as “Historic” under the Highway Traffic Act
  • light-duty commercial farm vehicles
  • kit cars
  • motorcycles
- Be VERY careful before you buy a title for a few reasons: 1) IF you can get a '32 title, it's the most expensive sold. 2) When you go to MTO to have any title reinstated (which is what you would be doing), you now need TWO independent verifications that the VIN is valid and that you have the vehicle with that VIN. One of the two independent verifications must be using the "Motor Vehicle Appraisal Record" validated by an appraiser registered with MTO. This form will also show value for tax to be paid once the vehicle is registered. You will also need a notarized affidavit outlining the history of the vehicle in question.

Thank you very much for that information.
Q. When you cantacted the MTO, was this the information you used?
Tel: 416-235-2999 or
Toll-free: 1-800-387-3445
E-mail: lao@mto.gov.on.ca

You can rest asured that I will exhaust this avenue before I buy any 32 registration.
Bruce Houghton
PS. I get the feeling I am a little closer now.

Bruce, I'll email you a bit later today with some other thoughts / details. I'll use the email you registered with.

hmmm purchased 1932 ownership + fiberglass reproduction = Boyd Coddington style problems.....

Privately run MTO offices generally need to be trained by the well informed public on what they can or can't do.

Try this guy V.G Albert 519 281 0370 he may have bought it from Magee....he might be at the rodmasters swap meet at the end of the monthin ancaster...

Last edited:
My on going saga trying to get a VIN from Service Canada for my 32 Ford.
Right now I am in the process of preparing an Affidavit for Service Canada. I've been told that I must use the proper MTO Affidavit Form for this. Any one have any thought about this?