Tri carb question

alain48

Looking to install a tri carb on a 1963 chevy 283 that now has just a single carb what issues should I expect doing this installation, will I have to do a cam change will it need headers just a basic feedback to evaluate if it will be worth my while to do it. Alain

Alain.........should not be a problem at all, as some came with a 4 barrel, and they had the same cam etc. Just get the progressive linkage for the carbs, so that only the center carb is being used until you stomp on it. Also get someone that knows what he's doing to do the carbs and adjust the linkage.

John :p:p

Alain,
I built a tri-power a couple of years ago for my 57 Chev. that will now go on the 29. Here are some things you will run into:
Distributor....points style only (Pertronix works great here). Not enough room for HEI.
Linkage...as said progressive for certain. Build your own it's not hard, it just takes a little thinking and it'll save you a bunch of money. Use 3/16ths stainless and rod ends for adjustability. You want the front and rear carb to come in at about 60% throttle and finish at WOT the same time as the center carb. Do some geometry to figure out the mounting points or use some plumbers tape (strap with holes to hang ducts)to mock something up. You may end up welding a pivot onto the carb throttle linkage to mount the linkage.
Carbs....small base Rochester 2 barrells are the trick carb. Try to find 3 with a side fuel inlet. The front inlets work but they are more work to get the fuel lines looking right. As well you will have to plug the idle circuit and more than likely change the jets to a smaller size. Once I get into the attic I'll grab the tri-power and take some pics of the linkage for you.
Alain, take a look at this post for more detailed info
http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26886