The personalization of "Black Betty"

Lookin' real good. I like the frenched lights. A real improvement. The scallops will have them doing a double take. With you're pipes recessed, I would go another couple inches of lowering blocks. :D

You're probably right John, it could drop an inch or so in the rear.
There's 3 inch lowering blocks now combined with a 2 leaf spring. Any higher blocks would create tire clearance problems.
The inner wheel housings were made for tall skinny narrow tires of olden days, not the fat tires of today.
Would have to mini-tub.

Rear tires are 235's, it was a toss up between 225's, which are an inch shorter in height, 235's won the coin toss.
I like the wheel and tire combo's to fill the wheel opening too.
plus I Was looking for the California rake.
In retrospect, probably replace them with 225's when the time comes.

Always liked that body style.
Had a couple as a kid, but one was a sedan the other a 2dr post, and they were Pontiacs.
Yours is very nice!!
Fred

thank you Fred.

Last edited:
BB went back into the shop on Thursday to get the rest of the trim installed and a new door handle button fixed. Locked once and then the key wouldn't turn.
Still there and most likely will be next week to re-do the gas door gap in one corner plus a high spot near the frenched antenna.

Other than that, very pleased with the work and paint.

Last edited:
The personalization is just about completed and has morphed form mild to semi-custom.
One or two minor interior items such as the dash/speaker waterfall and that's it. I have a second one that I got re-chromed, so this winter it will be changed out. Basically it's Done!

Attachments

• F1A78762-69CB-4F3F-8085-AA790447D64B.jpeg
    F1A78762-69CB-4F3F-8085-AA790447D64B.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 97
  • E9B9222A-BACE-407E-A40F-D2E4EFE95A61.jpeg
    E9B9222A-BACE-407E-A40F-D2E4EFE95A61.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 98
  • D82E663E-086D-4267-9EFC-5FB9163DA099.jpeg
    D82E663E-086D-4267-9EFC-5FB9163DA099.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
There went a couple (few) years of adding and adding...sure looks great! Really like how the taillights turned out :)
Greg

Not sure if I should post this ..but..After going back and forth a few times looking at the before and after pictures of your car..I gotta say I liked it better the way it was..not meaning to take anything away from all the great work you have done...the car looks great...just liked it better before....

Not sure if I should post this ..but..After going back and forth a few times looking at the before and after pictures of your car..I gotta say I liked it better the way it was..not meaning to take anything away from all the great work you have done...the car looks great...just liked it better before....

No offense taken. Didn't like "his" look.

Black Betty has a 1st generation Dakota VFD gauges (totally digital and programmable for imperial and metric.)
As I wanted to retain the sensors that I have, because each manufacture has their own sensors/senders, meant that I had to stick with Dakota, so I had an interesting discussion with them on what series would be a match

Same sensors but different controller, even thoiugh they look the same, meant using the VHX series gauges which is an upgrade to the VFD.
This series is not as programmable for both imperial or metric, so you order accordingly.
They are elctronic with "analog" sweep hands with the milage counter being digital; that's the only clue to being electronic/digital..
(Dakota has a newer style retro series available now that the milage counter rolls over just like in the olden days, big upgrade in price too).

One item I found in my research there is not an "universal" electronic sensor common to all manufactures, they all have their llittle quirks.
For example, Dakota's fuel sensor is programmable for GM, Ford or Mopar depending upon the ohms required.
However, supposedly, Summit has sensors that will work with most gauge manufactures and found that out after I had ordered the new gauges.

I checked out the more popular gauge manufactures such as Classic (expensive), Dolphin (mid range prices) and some other at the low end of the price band. I do like the Classic gauges, however, it meant changing out all the sensors/senders, not a big deal, just another "to do". And the price was higher too.

Last edited:
Ah interesting.
I’m looking at a set of classic Instruments for the wife’s 51 p/u when it comes time to do.