Stitchless Interior Door Panels

Bgbdlinc, thanks for posting this, very helpful info. I would be interested in seeing how you attached the stainless trim. I guess also it is necessary to add plastic to the door before installing the door panels for protection from moisture. Thanks.

Here is what I did for the stainless steel decorative spear on the door panels. The spears originated as roof trim above the quarter windows and I kept them
for 12 years to be used for something someday. They had some nice detail on them.

The mounting clips were rusted into place and once upon a time slid up and down the track on the backside. I trashed them all (they crumbled into dust)and then was faced with making a replacement which also had to slide and act as a securement device through the panel. Years ago I bought a bag of little, lightweight, angle brackets to use for something....the pre-drilled holes were helpful.....

I tapped each one (needed 12) with a hammer and made them almost flat. Then I carefully ground the sides to narrow them to allow them to slide. I fed really strong zip ties through the pre-drilled holes and fiddled and farted around with hand filing until they fit in and slid up and down in the back of the stainless.

I made these zip/clips really strong because in tightening them once they are pulled through the back board, you have to reef down on them as well as push the stainless into the foam trough under the vinyl on the face side. In this way the stainless is 'sunken' or recessed into the vinyl just as the arm rest, the window switches, and window trim are recessed. Hope this helps.....

Pretty creative use what you got and making it work...don't need no stinkin fancy gadget store bought clips..Good use of your noggin there Linc..livin and learnin and having fun till we gotta go..:rolleyes:

Some great work there David
images
. I just hope I can remember this stuff for, if or whenever I get around to my interior. :)

Mike, great idear on the thick clear to use as a pattern transfer.
images

...haha...no hijack at all and all the advise is appreciated, Mike. Heaven knows, you've seen it and done it through the years and are a wealth of knowledge. What does an upholstery machine do?

I should've said Upholstery sewing machine.........hope it 's all clear now, David?? LMAO!!
Mike

...hahaha...thanks Mike. I had visions of a machine that ate all the raw materials and spat out finished panels......then I woke up....

Thanks for this David, my 56 Ford has velour door panels which I never really liked and don't have the original trim, so it's a future project that I've been planning on and this will help greatly. Thanks again.