Stitchless Interior Door Panels

bgbdlinc

I finally had to face my biggest fear for the BGBDLINC -starting the interior work. I can't afford to send it out and can't afford to leave it alone, so as a novice I decided on what I was capable of doing. The scary part for this job is that mistakes and minor imperfections will be staring you in the face (as opposed to hidden bubble-gum welds underneath the car that you swore you would redo).
I was not going the 'stitched route' by buying a heavy duty sewing machine and practicing for many hours. Simple slab-type door panels, rear panels, and kick panels would be a good start for me with lots of thinking and analyzing and patience.
I figured out the door measurements and accommodations for original window sill trim, an arm rest (actually a split bumper guard), access for the electric window switches and electric seat switches. In addition, I figured that the great expanse of the door panel needed a design element to visually break it up. For this I selected a curved piece of the original stainless roof trim that was in a pile of parts from the original car.
Overall the process entails making a template of thin cardboard. This shape gets transferred to a stiff panel material. This in turn, gets transferred to foam
and eventually to vinyl.

A sheet of 1/4" foam is applied to the entire surface and cutouts are done for the door latch (upper left), door popper (lower left), the arm rest location (central), sill trim (upper edge), curved stainless trim, and two areas for switches. Cutting out the foam in these areas, allows the vinyl to be recessed into these spaces and look 'puffy' or 'stuffed'. Perimeter screw holes have to be drilled and marked accordingly with the panels mounted on the door for securement.

Then the vinyl has to be cut leaving about a 3" border around the perimeter. The vinyl is glued down with contact cement. Then when that is dry, the edges are folded over and glued as well onto the back.

From the back side of the panel, holes have to be poked through with a sharp instrument to indicate on the 'good side' where to mount and adjust. The perimeter mounting holes for the panel to the door are OK as is. Holes for the arm rest and the curved trim need enlarging with tiny scissors in an '+' shape.
Rectangle openings are cut corner to corner and folded through the opening and glued to the back side.

I've purposefully limited this demo to just one panel for simplicity and, of course, the process has to be repeated for the kick panels and the rear seat panels (cardboard template, backing panel, vinyl, etc).

Note: From my experience Elmer's spray glue is just a waste of time for these panels since you are putting glue on foam as well as the back of the vinyl. Don't cheap out -use a good quality (expensive) contact cement where you brush cement on both surfaces, let dry, and carefully lay the vinyl down without wrinkles (nerve wracking, I'll admit). Also, never use spray glue inside the car -that shit goes everywhere you don't want it to go (don't ask me how I know).

I didn't bother to look for exotic hidden clips for mounting any of these panels. I went with screws with those raised washers attached (I'm sure there is a name for them) and used them as a decorative element, upfront and visible.
The result is this for a first timer....

One final note. The stainless curved piece required some creativity to mount and I can do a little post on that if anyone is interested.....

Looks great Linc.
Is there any sheet metal behind the panels ..
I ask this because the f*ing rod shop cut my door panels out
to put my universal window kits in, when they didn't have to,
freakin' morons ... I should have done it myself.

58chev....thanks Frank....

Bullet.... thanks Darryl. There is structural steel behind my panels for the doors and it's heavier than sheet metal. Man, what they did is really a pissoff and unnecessary as far as I can see. I did mine with a universal kit and it didn't upset anything within the doors.
Here is a pic from several years ago after I installed the ewindow kit and shows the structure....

Bgbdlinc, thanks for posting this, very helpful info. I would be interested in seeing how you attached the stainless trim. I guess also it is necessary to add plastic to the door before installing the door panels for protection from moisture. Thanks.

58chev....thanks Frank....

Bullet.... thanks Darryl. There is structural steel behind my panels for the doors and it's heavier than sheet metal. Man, what they did is really a pissoff and unnecessary as far as I can see. I did mine with a universal kit and it didn't upset anything within the doors.

OK thanks Dave.
Yeah they really piss'd me off when they did that, they even threw away what they cut out.
Now I have to either find a pair of ratty Stude doors and cut the inner panels out, or fab my own.
And because they cut them out, there's no support strength at the hinges now.
You'd think they'd want to avoid bad publicity and do the job right.
I'll telling everyone to stay away from these idiots..

bgbdlinc.. looks real good. My 41 was around 10 large to get completly done, & I got a real good deal!! Frank

Bgbdlinc, That looks AWESOME!!! I'm at the same stage with my truck but I'm not as creative as yourself.
Thanks HBW...for a novice, it was a struggle at times, but I stayed with it....

Bgbdlinc, thanks for posting this, very helpful info. I would be interested in seeing how you attached the stainless trim. I guess also it is necessary to add plastic to the door before installing the door panels for protection from moisture. Thanks.
No problem,Brendan...stay tuned....

bgbdlinc.. looks real good. My 41 was around 10 large to get completely done, & I got a real good deal!! Frank
Thanks SHIZMIT'58....that's what I estimated mine would be for everything -panels, window surrounds, headliner, carpet, and maybe trunk stuff, all professionally done. Way out of my league, so I took a sample of the seat leather and matched it as best I could to vinyl from an immense catalogue in a home decorating shop (selling drapes, window blinds, etc). I also bought gray marine carpet for the floors (my next challenge). Total cost vinyl and carpet $300.
So, the red vinyl sort of matches the seat colour and the gray carpet is a reflection of bare metal and chrome (dash, window garnishes, armrests, screws, etc) that is highlighted everywhere. I lost track of the 'sweat equity' hours involved for me (extensive) but the cost of just the raw materials so far is around $500-$600.

....hahaha...as if I'm surrounded in luxury in this heap.... However, you maybe right...here is a pic of one of my two back seat courtesy lights. The vinyl is the same colour as the front door but the lighting is poor.
Damn, luxury is an insidious disease...... what's next? air conditioning? a mini bar? high-priced hookers?

....hahaha...as if I'm surrounded in luxury in this heap.... However, you maybe right...here is a pic of one of my two back seat courtesy lights. The vinyl is the same colour as the front door but the lighting is poor.
Damn, luxury is an insidious disease...... what's next? air conditioning? a mini bar? high-priced hookers?

LOW PRICED HOOKERS... you could get more then, & Invite you CR buddies!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: Frank

Jeeze linc..your getting pretty high end on the linc..Chrome Armrests, leather interior , special handmade kustom door panels. Pretty soon you will a riddler contender..:D

She looks real good..Dave..Kinda miss not seeing you for a long time ..take care..

David,
No looking to hijack your post, just offering advice. A foolproof way to make door panel & kick panel, any panel really, patterns is to use clear vinyl, like you see in "greasy spoon" restaurant table cloths. The heavier, the better. Spray a little bit of "Spray adhesive: on the door itself and press on a piece of clear vinyl on the door. You then mark every hole, obstruction, whatever, as well as the door's outer edge. Everything is visible thru the vinyl so no guessing! Peel the vinyl off the door and transfer all that info directly to whatever mat'l you're using as substrate. Hope this helps. Too bad you don't live closer. My upholstery machine is gathering dust these days.
Mike

Jeeze linc..your getting pretty high end on the linc..Chrome Armrests, leather interior , special handmade kustom door panels. Pretty soon you will a riddler contender..:D

She looks real good..Dave..Kinda miss not seeing you for a long time ..take care..

....luxury is not me. When I get into a new car I feel out of place and want to puke due to all the vinyl cows that had to die for the cushy interior. The carpet will be the last hoorah....then maybe send it off down the road...just don't know....

David,
No looking to hijack your post, just offering advice. A foolproof way to make door panel & kick panel, any panel really, patterns is to use clear vinyl, like you see in "greasy spoon" restaurant table cloths. The heavier, the better. Spray a little bit of "Spray adhesive: on the door itself and press on a piece of clear vinyl on the door. You then mark every hole, obstruction, whatever, as well as the door's outer edge. Everything is visible thru the vinyl so no guessing! Peel the vinyl off the door and transfer all that info directly to whatever mat'l you're using as substrate. Hope this helps. Too bad you don't live closer. My upholstery machine is gathering dust these days.
Mike

...haha...no hijack at all and all the advise is appreciated, Mike. Heaven knows, you've seen it and done it through the years and are a wealth of knowledge. What does an upholstery machine do?

Hey David,
Maybe we'll see you at the E.L.T.A. Summer Bash? Sept. 9th
I know fatchuk will be there... ;)