Some Westrods

dick stave

SomeWestRods.jpg

I f
SCAN0002.jpg

I found this picture on the BCHRA website (thanks PG409). Second from the left front row is Doug Johnson, fourth from the left front row is Richard Mannering( my mom went to high school with them).I talked to Doug on the phone this morning and he told me the picture was taken at the Bigney Speedway on Mcphee Rd. in Burnaby in 1958. My dad, Adrian Thompson, and Frank Lacey (both of whom served as club president) are not in the picture.
The other picture is of my dad with his 1950 Meteor Club Coupe in Penticton in 1958.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Jeff...........glad you found the photos on the BCHRA site. There are a lot of photo galleries to browse through.

I knew Rich Mannering as he lived almost next door to a girl I dated in New Westminster in 1960-63 or so. He had a channeled and full fendered 32 Ford 2 Door Sedan.

I never met your dad to my knowledge. I joined the Westrods in the fall of 1959 and stayed until mid 1961 when I went sports car racing !!! (what did I know?)

Names I remember are Bob McCoy, Dave Pearson, Al CRuickshank ( still around in New West) Ken Botten, Earl Fletcher, and , um, I will remember more in due course................

Westrods

According to my Mom, Dad was in the club in '57-'58 as was Frank. By '59, he was dating my mom (Georgia Brooks) and was out of the scene. He was married, and opened his business ( Thompson Bros. Esso on Johnson Rd. in White Rock in '61 with his brother Keith). He now has his place in B.C. Hot Rod history.

Jeff.

Jeff

We, the Westrods,used to meet at CKNW studios, then on Columbia Street in New West next door to Western Accessories. We would go early and listen to Jack Webster finish off his radio show.
Hung out at the back row of the White Spot on 12th at 8th in New West.
We used to do CKNW christmas hampers (they had a special name, but it escapes me) and drive seniors to their card nights, etc.
It was a BCHRA club and we participated in the "hole in the heart" carwash, ball games and poker runs. ( how would you like to run across the Capilino
suspension bridge to get a poker card !!!!?)
Fun times......young guys.......what did we know ????:)

Cknw

Jeff

We, the Westrods,used to meet at CKNW studios, then on Columbia Street in New West next door to Western Accessories. We would go early and listen to Jack Webster finish off his radio show.
We used to do CKNW christmas hampers (they had a special name, but it escapes me) and drive seniors to their card nights, etc.
It was a BCHRA club and we participated in the "hole in the heart" carwash, ball games and poker runs. ( how would you like to run across the Capilino
CKNW used to hail themselves as the Topdog,they had a large white mutt mascot at the PNE every year as I recall.Wasn't Jack Webster a talk show host back then? Seem to remember listening to 1410 CFUN and Red Robinson more for rock and roll in those days ,Van.'s only rock station,way before LG 73 came along .Wasn't Western Auto parts on Columbia near the Patello bridge ramp?Used to cruze by the White Spot in New West and see,all those as we called them custom cars.Kind of miss the old Whitespot with their long window to window shelf trays and car hop guys in their white caps.A very Vancouver unique experience.

Bucket T...Yup, CKNW and Western Accesories was near the Bridge and also
Columbia Dodge....Red Robinson was on CKWX 1130

Did you ever touch base with Roger Melenchuk??:)

Roger Melenchuck

Hello Keith,No have not gotten around to it yet ,should do it soon I guess, he may have some great photos of his early rods.
I'm told by a local rodder who knows him ,that Roger is still involved in the hobby.Dan

Westrods

You guys ever thought of having a reunion? Seems like there are still quite a few of you around. You were lucky to be young at a time when things were way more simple. I went to Whitespot on 6th and 12th every time my dad came down to visit before it closed. I knew why he liked to go back there. Besides, the burgers are the best.
Regards, Jeff.

Dick

We did in effect have a reunion in 2007. The BCHRA had a 50th in Cloverdale and it was a whole weekend deal. THe BCHRA was the umbrella club to about
25 clubs throughout the province, but mostly in the lower mainland from 1957 to
mid sixties or so. I met several Westrod members at this deal.

For more info on the reunion go to www.bchra.org and look for the 50th
anniversary deal. There are also hundreds of photos on the site from the early 50's and 60's

Last edited:
Reunion

Thanks, Keith. I used to go in Western Accessories on Columbia back in the '80's. I had a Valiant with a slant 6 and they had some Clifford stuff in there. Only problem was I didn't have any money (hop up a Valiant) stupid I guess. That was a neat store (didn't they move to Langley?).Cool to find out where the old stomping grounds were. Hope to get to meet you one of these days.

Best regards, Jeff.

Jeff

Unfortunately I cannot see the pictures in the first post.
I never heard about CKNW christmas hampers. Can anyone please tell me what it is? I love hampers for Christmas and due to this I would like to know what these specific CKNW hampers are respectively if they can still be bought today. Maybe this would be the right present for my dad.

well, I am talking 1960 or so here......suggest contact NW and see if they
still do it.

PG 409; Keith, do you remember a club in Maple Ridge called the Ramblers. Way back in late 50's early 60's. Ted Mercer had a red '50 Merc conv. with the best flames i ever seen. Talk to your Bro for a bit today. frank

PG 409; Keith, do you remember a club in Maple Ridge called the Ramblers. Way back in late 50's early 60's. Ted Mercer had a red '50 Merc conv. with the best flames i ever seen. Talk to your Bro for a bit today. frank

Frank

I see Pat remembers the Ramblers.....I do not........sorry

Keith

Pat/ Keith... I can remember them meeting at the Old Allouette Inn in "Haney" way back when. If I remember right it was mid 50's. And huge Car show/picnic at Maple Ridge Park. That's what got me started in this stuff. Great memories!!!! Frank