So , I guess I,m one of THEM now.

You know , one of those guys who has an old car an just lets it sit till it rot . I live on a main road , 5 lanes and must get like 20 guys a yr ( feels like 20 ) Especially on long weekends .Pull in and ask if something I have is for sale . They always want to know more info then even you tell your old lady about your vehicles .
Blah blah blah blah. Now when people pull in , That I dont know , I just greet them with Are You Lost . When they start trying to talk to me I just say "Leave Now ".
So we,ve had a thaw an I started up the 50 an moved it so the ice an snow would melt from under it and my lil trailer . Now that the truck has moved over a space in the laneway , I,ve had 3 guys all drop in to see if its for sale .
Yesterday , Dude pulls in . Asks if truck for sale . Are you lost , I ask him . No I dont think so . Funny . I think your lost AND trespassing . Get in your car , leave , dont ever come back .
Oh your one of those guys he says . I do not rely , just stand and stare at him . Now he,s mad cause I,m not even gonna verbally defend myself and he probably spent a lotta time going over his lil I,ll just pull in and buy that truck for 50 bucks routine . . So , he points at a former winter beater in the corner of my laneway . Jammed against the frt of my shop . Half covered in snow .Flat tires . The thing is just F%^ked , rotten , no oil presure .Full of parts and junk . Its so close to being cut up with sawzall that I,ve actually scavenged some metal offa it for another project in my garage .. And announces that if I never do anything with this truck it gonna end up like my other vehicle over there. He pauses for a breath ....I say ...Do you have any idea of how much personal danger you are in right now . Get in your vehicle . Leave . Never come back .
Gets in his vehicle , backs out onto road squeals tires pretty bad and speeds up the road , well over the speed limit .
What a Maroon ..77.

Why not simply post a prominent sign by the vehicles?

"Not for sale..do not ask"

Rant not necessary on this forum!:(:(

Last edited:
Seems like you are tired of folks askin if you got anything for sale. Why not just put a sign at the end of the drive that reads, not selling or parting out anything. Then people might leave ya alone...;) I have stopped at peoples property before to ask about stuff they have if any is for sale. That's how I got the 73 Nova, it wasn't for sale when i bought it. But since I was interested the fellow let me have for a price....he didn't give it away by any means. And he didn't have a no tresspassing iether:cool:Wes

Maybe if you were actively working on your vehicles, then people would not get the impression that they are just sitting around and might be for sale.
If thats not in the cards, then the sign at the end of your driveway is a good idea. Otherwise, I would encourage you to treat these car guys that come around with some respect - they are simply reacting to a picture that you have created. So if you don't want the attention, change the picture.

Some years back, I had two model A's in my yard. Yup, people stopped
from time to time. I usually gave them the "time of day".
One fellow said, do you need any more A stuff? I sez sure.....he gave
me another 2 door body, extra doors and a frame.
It's not always one way.:)

But you can kinda tell a hot rodder / car nut from a regular citizen . Some guys you can tell right away if they are a regular car guy , or maybe even just interested in your stuff . Others are just guys that pull up , tell you your stuff isnt worth anything then stand there and try to offer you ef all for it anyway .
Heres how you can pick out an nother rodder in the crowd , or on your lane way .
Has a truck .meaning he needs a parts chaser .
Has a hitch on truck . Meaning stuff breaks down so you gotta have a trailer cause your to cheeep to pay a tow truck , or you wont let a tow truck near your tuff.Or for picking up another rusty hulk on a deal .
( if you dont have hitch or a truck you are immediately put into the bought it , dont know anything about it , or even drive it hot rodder class)
Has some kinda sticker on truck . huntin, fishin , veterans plates a nascar sticker that say something about Petty, roush etc , not the car of the future crap.
Walks up an says " hey , nice ride man ", or "is that a 50 or 51. " Or mentions that he has a rod or is working on one . Thats a rodder .
People that walk up an say the word sale in he first sentence are generally not car guy / rodders .
Only 2 of the laneway walkers in the last year knew that it was a 50 vintage Chebby.
I didnt post this as a rant . It wasnt meant to be , but i also thought that it was a lil too rough to go in whadidyadotoday post .
Lincoln , by your posting style I would prob pick u out as an ok guy if,n you pulled in .
And i have left signs not for sale on vehicles . People till ring the bell and wake up my 12 hr shift working ol lady ..
My plan is too build a bigger garage a lil further back onto proprty then my garage is now . Then build a gated high fence right acros my lane way , so we can pull our cars behind the fence and close and just leave one of our Grand Cherokee in the lane way ..77.
Also note we live up the highway from Toronto , an sometimes it seems like everyone in Bramaladesh or the Dudebridge is moving here . guys have pulled in and asked if our plated constantly moving , summer daily drivers are for sale .

Last edited:
I just wrote a big reply... and then lost it when the baby touched the keyboard.... moral of the reply is this " out of site, outta mind" is what works best in my opinion. a fence even if it wasn't around your property, just a line of fence somewhere.. with your projects behind it, would keep the freaks away.

I don't agree with the prerequisits of being a hot rodder/car guy. I was born a hot rodder... got it in my blood. but untill december I have never owned a truck with a hitch... or even one that my dad would call anything but a car because of its ride hieght.
unitll I was 25 i had a hard time telling you what year or brand a car was.. still have troubles. but I know what I like.. and what could look good.

I personly would take people asking about your daily drivers as a compliment.. you have them cause you want them... some one asks cause they like them , and would like to have them too. compliment in my eyes.
just my 2 cents

What's wrong with a truck with a hitch ?
Pulls my Motorhome and gets me out camping and doing family things.

As for a rant, here's my story.

Our perverbial snoopy neighbour comes over one day as I'm building a new deck on the house.
Asks, if I had a building permit because it's against the law to build without one, don't ya know.
I said, "sure, it's right here on the end of my boot, and if you don't leave, I'll show it to you."

Last edited:
When we moved into our old house,the "friendly" neighbor called the city on us because of my 69 camaro sittin' in the drive way.We hadn't been there a week,and most of our boxed stuff was sittin' in the garage.I was told by the city that i had a week to get it out of the driveway,so we moved everthing upstairs and stuffed the camaro in.I sold it a few months later and bought the merc,which we left in the driveway.Nobody called the city about that one.
We had a few people askin' if the car was for sale and even got some leads on parts from some.Now at our new house everything is stashed in the shop away from pryin' eyes.I got tired of havin' people knockin' on the door,askin' if the Merc was for sale.I had one guy show up when I was first movin' it into the shop and helped me push her in.We spent about an hour and a half jaw jackin' about cars,turned out he owned a 49 Merc.I never did see the guy again but it was fun.And the point I'm tryin' to make here is sometimes you gotta be open to people.Yea,sure there's some jackasses out there,but there's alot of good people too!!

Last edited:
i for one encourage looky loos but they hafta bring a scatter gun in case they flush out grouse or a magpie then leave the prize with me for admission;););)

Ahhhh , now the reply posts are lighteneing up bit . Thats good . I,m not a bad guy . ( LIE)
Tin , as for fences . The city just widened our road from 2 to 5 lanes . Because of subdivisions being built out past us . . My plan is . Fence across laneway with a 2 car sized car port just behind fence . Behind car port 3 car sized shop with work area . Move my now single shop into back yard for storage .
I have so far previously fenced across my property both sides , making a gate in fence 12 ft wide on other side a house . But due to city widening road and gutting parts of my frt lawn was unable to get truck into behind fence area to hide it . Had a full on 4 jackstand job in side garareg, which I also put a garage door onto back of that . Both ways to yard blocked now I,m paying the price. So the fiddy got left in the laneway .
My neighbours are pretty good , mostly scared I think . Its better that way , quieter , for home reno,s I got 1 build permit , then I just whited out the date s an put it up in the frt window anyways ..77.

All I kin say is it don't cost nuthin ta be friendly..I have bought a lot of stuff jest from stoppin in ta ask if what I saw in the yard was for sale..met a lota nice folks and had some good conversation..met a lotta assholes too..:( I always enjoyed a little serandipity meetin good folks...mosta my chit ain't worth squat anyway and in the macro perspective I only get ta store it while I'm here..cause I think I'll be leavin like I come....naked with nuttin...

Put the good stuff in the back! Unless you really DO like all the attention. If you visited my place, inless you stepped inside you would have NO IDEA I was a car guy and that I collect lots of stuff. I don't advertise for thieves.

Leave it out there long enough, maybe Chip Foose will come by and Overhaul it for ya.

Speakin' of Overhaulin',apparently new episodes start on the 24th of this month!!!

Not to take away from all the hopefuls out there with Mopars, GM's & Fords, but I kind of wish Foose would steal something unusual to do his number on.
Perhaps that's asking to much of the man's talent.
Look forward to the new season.
Oh oh stealing a thread.