SGI meeting on MV regs

Bash and scratch

Supporting Member
Hey fellas I know its short notice but I just found out myself (not sure it it was planned to be kept somewhat quiet or not?) but there is an SGI meeting on the concerns for modified and specialty vehicals at the Sheriton 4 points hotel in Stone gate in Saskatoon today and Saturday from 5 to 8 pm.. I think we as rodders should be concerned and as many of us as possible should attend!!

Bash

Darn tootin we should be there, having said that I can't be :(.
You would hope that SGI would advertise a meeting like that to get input........unless of course some "do gooder" doesn't want to hear the other side.
Darn sometimes I don't like where I live.

Hey Bash, did you end up attending this meeting? If you did, was there anything the community should be aware of that has changed or will be changing?
Terry

Yes I did and so far as I am told there is no change but some clarification. What they are concerned with is safety items (ie lights, horns, wipers, mirrors, seat belts, heaters, reflectors, etc) Stock and modified pre 1958 as far as I am understanding they are not to concerned,,, if they came with ANY deemed safety item you CANNOT remove it even if it was an option having said that if it did not have the option installed you do not need to have it. 58 to 71 there are pretty much the same rules as in if it came with it it needs to have it, but from there they tread into other things like roll cages and crumple zones etc. For instance if you have a full roll cage in your muscle car it cannot impede any other safety device including crumple zones as it transfers too much crash energy to any other person (vehicle) involed in the accident. There were some concerns with frame conectors and back halved cars, however they said as long as they were done properly they are OK.

Anything post 71 has a few more items of saftey to be met however they are only the ones that were met as of the date of manufacture and complying to the CMVSS implemented in 71.

Post 86 there seems to be very little they will tolerate as far as mods go, again NOTHING can impede or impair ANY safety device. This includes roll cages impeding air bags or interfering with crumple zones or structure of the uni-bodied cars ie. cutting or bolting into the sill plates to mount them.

As far as anything like bumper height, scrub lines, and welding on any steering or hardened parts that is still the same. What I am glad of is that I am not building a kit car anytime soon! They are releasing a new amendment outlining what is acceptable and what isn't. You cannot import any turn key kit car into Canada period and that is Federal not provincial. I am not exactly sure what all the criteria is but it sounds like a whole lotta hassel to me to bring it up even in peices and build one here. Things like meeting more up to date safety issues? not sure of them all but there are many.What they are counting on is natural atrition (spelling) as the older cars slowly get taken off the road they are being replaced by new models with more up to date safety items and kit cars do not fall into their criteria there, so hence the more up to date safety issue when building. The issue of the newer bodies like Dinacorn(spelling) was brought up and they at first were not to exicted about it, stating that that car never existed and once again the issue of atrition came into play. However he seemed to be willing to accept it if that person had a donor car that they were using (ie a serial number).. However he did state that it was never acceptable to remove or replace one of those off any car, but I got the impression that he would look the other way in that type of situation? So long as people do not abuse that I am sure. What I did like about the meeting was I did get the feeling that they are at least willing to work with you on things, asking that if you are building something that you keep them in the loop easier to ask the questions and deal with them during the process then after its too late and done only to be refused.

There is still a provision in there that one can (even a hobbiest) build something from scratch as long as its done right and resembles something pre 58? at least that is my understanding however they would still like to be consulted with safety issues of said project.

So what I took away from the meeting is this sort of in a nut shell "no mater what the vehicle (stock or modified vintage pre 58) if it came with any safety item it must have said item" The muscle car guys have a bit of a grey area but the standing rule is still the same. However it would seem to me the 86 and newer are pooched LOL no air bag impedements, roll cages or wheels sticking out from the fenders just to name a few.

At least thats what I got out of it? :cool:

Bash

Last edited:
Yes Thanks Neil, all sounds logical actually. Nice to see that they are sounding reasonable. A good reason to stay in Sask !