Self-Solder Butt Connectors

They are pretty cool, but they have been around for quite a few years. I use them almost exclusively, and have done so for a long time. When I step back in time to when I wore a younger man's clothes, I think of the 69 Freightliner I bought as my first truck back in the 70's. Some genius had hacked up the wiring harness to put a bunch of "accessory lights", and other wiring hacks for a cb radio and stereo. The truck rode like a buckboard, as most did in those days, before everything went air ride.
Myself, as well as my friends, would often be on the side of the road in the middle of the night doing wiring fixes, because of the regular crimp on connections that inevitably came loose from vibration and the bone jarring ride of the truck, notwithstanding the road salt that works its way into the connection.
I have had wiring experts tell me all my life about how a well crimped connection would last forever. I call bullshit on that.
The regular connections look like shit when the little plastic connector becomes distorted from crimping, and if there is any vibration etc., they work their way loose.
These connectors still don't look beautiful, but at least they don't come apart like the regular connectors. They usually look a little better with some shrink wrap over top of the connector.

Interesting, and of course as usual, the devil is in the details;

Summit:
NTE Electronics Heat Shrink Self-Solder Butt Splice Connectors CAD $53.11 Pack of 50

China:
50pcs Solder Sleeve Heat Shrink Butt Wire Splice Connectors Terminal Waterproof
C $9.33 List price: Previous Price C $13.65 or Best Offer Free Shipping From China

(Gee Mr. Trump, which ones should I buy? :p)

That's a tough one ... :D
You may of left out the best part ... having to add tax & shipping to the Summit order ...:rolleyes:
China gives you free shipping with no tax ... and at least they're not trying to slap tariffs on Canada and the rest of the world ... :rolleyes:
I wonder what I would choose ... :rolleyes:
:D

These look interesting BUT......
I was going to bring this up earlier, once I read the Canadian Hot Rod article about wiring a couple months ago it made me think, and now seeing this here is my but....
I maybe talking out my ass on this but here is my take on this. With my aviation background we have been trained that butt connections are never soldered, they have to be crimped. Not a Canadian Tire crimper there are crimping pliers with dies for the splice. I have been trained....told; that when a connection is soldered it is strong and no doubt a good connection but.....the wire will break on either side of that soldered joint because of flex from vibration. The joint is rigid but the wire is not. I see wires breaking all the time :( at connections into canon plugs......soldered joint into the socket and the wire flexes and breaks right there.
Ideally we crimp, “pull test”, and heat shrink that connection. It provides more strength to the connection and allows a gradual flex.
In an automotive world that heat shrink also keeps the road grime out preventing the above mentioned corroded connection later on.

These look interesting BUT......
I was going to bring this up earlier, once I read the Canadian Hot Rod article about wiring a couple months ago it made me think, and now seeing this here is my but....
I maybe talking out my ass on this but here is my take on this. With my aviation background we have been trained that butt connections are never soldered, they have to be crimped. Not a Canadian Tire crimper there are crimping pliers with dies for the splice. I have been trained....told; that when a connection is soldered it is strong and no doubt a good connection but.....the wire will break on either side of that soldered joint because of flex from vibration. The joint is rigid but the wire is not. I see wires breaking all the time :( at connections into canon plugs......soldered joint into the socket and the wire flexes and breaks right there.
Ideally we crimp, “pull test”, and heat shrink that connection. It provides more strength to the connection and allows a gradual flex.
In an automotive world that heat shrink also keeps the road grime out preventing the above mentioned corroded connection later on.
It seems to me that a crimped connection is also rigid and the wire will flex on either side of the crimp connector but, just like with the crimp connector and heat shrink, the heat shrink with these soldered joints will also add support to the wire as it leaves the rigid soldered portion and provide the same gradual flex. However, this is only if one uses heat shrink on your crimped connections. I refuse to use the typical butt connectors that have the plastic insulation sheath on them. I only use the bare connectors, crimped with a high quality crimper (chanel-lok) and heat shrink them.

.......I would think (hope) that our occasionally driven cars are not subjected to the vibration and corrosion of highway transport trucks. :)

Previous project and shop truck.

ChNZvL5l.jpg
tGaXzb8l.jpg