Saskatchewan guy here!

Mbecks

Hello everybody. I am a 32 yo heavy duty mechanic. I have a passion for making cars I own my own but have never gone as far as building a vehicle. I would like to build a rat rod using existing vehicle parts and building my own custom car. I have the knowledge, ability and tooling to take on such a project but I need some info. I’m specifically trying to figure out the laws in doing such a thing but am having trouble pinning down how to do this legally. If anyone could guide me to a Saskatchewan discussion on this that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks, I had found this earlier and started reading it but was having trouble sifting through all of the legal speak and unrelated info. If someone here suggests it I will give it a full read through. I’m itching to get started and hunting down vehicle and parts I want but I don’t want to waste time and money building something I love but can’t put on the roads.

Last edited:
Also talk to any garages that do vehicle safeties, they have a form they follow. Now luckily we live in Sk and don’t have to jump through the same hoops some other provinces have to when it comes to old cars. This form can also be a guideline for what is needed. You won’t need a safety but use it as a guideline....in case “the man” pulls you over some night on 8th street

I got buddies who are auto mechanics, my shops heavy duty safety sheets would be big time over kill, but I’ll see if I can pick a sheet up. I’m tempted to buy an antique vehicle that is already Saskatchewan platable and modify it from there, that way I can keep registering it as the base vehicle. There is probably rules against that as well. This has been the lack of me starting so far is just not k owing what I can and can’t do.

I’m tempted to buy an vehicle that is already Saskatchewan plateable and modify it from there, that way I can keep registering it as the base vehicle.

1. That is it ! .......the one and only way ....... unless you are a masochist and love pain.

There is probably rules against that as well.

2. Only if you say something. (Hint: zipper the lips) Do not ask for permission, ever.

We have a in dictatorship B.C. too.

Hahaha “zipper and lips” that made me legit laugh. So basically I got to do it the way I mentioned above and just hope some cop doesn’t pull you off the road because they know nothing about cars and think it might be a safety issue. I need to find a hot rod/rat rod mechanic if I need a safety, not to lie or cheat the system but someone who understand the hobby and doesn’t assume if it’s not own it’s not safe. Anyone know good shops in SK?

I will quietly admit to not always following the rules closely, your best bet is to not break them. If there is ever a problem, you may not have appropriate insurance.
Hang around some car shows and talk to anyone with a similar themed car, see if they have any issues with how the law handles their ride.
Sask is great for old cars, you can pull something out of the bush and easily plate it. I’m not endorsing seeing questionable construction rolling down the public roads ;)

First of all, welcome to the CR sandbox.
Lots of experience kicking around here.

Secondly, around da polica or registration folks or even the insurance guys, don't use the term rat rod as that sends up red flags.
Perception is worse than Ralph Nader and Corvairs....unsafe at any speed.

You want to build a well engineered and safe rod using patina as the focal point.

As Shaune pointed out, go to some of the car shows and talk to the owners of similar type vehicles.
Here's a list to help you:
http://autoevents.ca/

Welcome to the site! Love seeing new builds and discussions that go along with it (them).
I agree with the line of starting with something that you can plate and enjoy as you go...a lot to be said about that.
That’s for checking in, now let’s hear of ideas and concepts....
Greg.

Welcome to the forum Mbecks another Sask flat lander here. We are fortunate here as far as vehicle reggie goes.. so far. If it is a pre 1957 vehicle you can pretty much modify it and reggie it without any inspections, so far, I see this changing at some point. Talking to the "man" I am told that they figure any mods you do will be an improvement on the stock item. ie brakes, suspension, seat belts etc. Now this is not to say that there are not rules, scrub lines, oh and suspension and brake components cannot be modified by you ie welded or heated and bent. These items they want to be manufactured by a reputable and responsible place. IE; Morrison, Allen, TCI, etc. (The blame game in case something fails) I have been told you can even build your own car completely. But they like to be kept in the loop as you go so there isn't any issue at the end when it does pass muster.

Well those are just a few items but like Shaune says a read through the regs can't hurt.

Last edited:
I’m stuck between two ideas. I either want to buy something pre 1987 that is antique plateable and has the simpleness of a carbureted engine then start customizing the exterior with 1950s and older body panels and customizing the interior. Or going with something later with OBD 1 or 2 and fuel injection which as a modern mechanic is what I’m more used to.

I’ve also been playing with the idea of modding a small sports car. I use to own a gen 1 miata which was a ton of fun. It would be fun to strip it down and make a mini rod.

I’ve also been playing with the idea of modding a small sports car. I use to own a gen 1 miata which was a ton of fun. It would be fun to strip it down and make a mini rod.

Or stuff one full with a corvette motor; insane "sleeper".

Last edited:
Welcome!
As everyone has already stated it would be best to get a registered car first and go from there, definitely they way to do it out here, or the easiest. BC does however require a safety to be done after the mods, but really not a bad thing. Just went through it all with my 29.
As for your Mazda, I’m not a big import guy by any means, but look up on YouTube for a guy who stuck a 29 ford coupe onto a (I believe) Toyota platform, holy shit did that car look like a tone of fun. Can’t argue the handling and power you can get out of the imports. If I can find the video I’ll post the link.

Cheers