restoring 1928 ONTARIO plates

soloma

I bought a pair of usable ONTARIO plates for my MODEL A project, but they need to be sandblasted and painted, any idea on the proper colour for the yellow on the plates, paint code?? Never done anything like this before, so sorry if its a dumb question!! Any tips!
thanks

Tip .............Do not sand blast them...they will be junk..Soak-em in molassass..somebody will jump on for the correct mix I think it's 50/50 but I ferget....fatchuk

:eek:I find if the plate is badley rusted , sandblasting will blow holes in it ,but if that happens you can repair the hole and repaint the plate its base colour and then either hand paint the numbers or use a roller.I just finished a pair of 34 plates and they look great .They where originally a white plate with black letters . I just sandblasted a pair of 28 plates and painted the plate black but not sure of the colour for the letters.:confused:
Bob

they are not necc. rusty, they just have a THICK coat of yellow paint over the entire plate, need to know the proper yellow color so i can send them in and register them!!!
on28set.jpg

Believe it or not Spray 9 with take the paint right off licence plates, trust me I know. Went to clean a 1923 NS plate with spray 9 and the paint went from solid to liquid in seconds and wiped right off. Should have left it alone, I ruined the patina ( look ) of the old plate.

Tip .............Do not sand blast them...they will be junk..Soak-em in molassass..somebody will jump on for the correct mix I think it's 50/50 but I ferget....fatchuk

I have used molasses for a number of years to get rust off old sheetmetal. It is good for rust, but does not do much with paint. The mixture I use is ten parts water to one part molasses, and I leave the parts in the tank for two to three weeks. A lot of the 33 Ford I am currently building has been derusted this way. If no one has done a thread on it before, I will do one soon.

You can go to Home Hardware and get some paint stripper. Put it on and wrap in glad wrap. If you need to get rust off. do the same with naval jelly and then take some steel wool to it. I have no clue of what yellow you need. But if you can find a colour close take it into a jobber and go thru their chips. Epoxy prime the plate and then I'd paint it with urethane S.S. with a bit of flattener in it so its not super shiny. You don't want a brittle paint.

if your having trouble finding right color take the plates if original paint to a paint supply shop and have them scanned---they can get really close to the color----I glass beaded a 1932 plate for Tiquer which was quite rusty and it came out great---don't use too high pressure or it will warp still:D

oooookay,.... the 'master' sez,..."don't blast 'em"!!...... i'm on his side!! i'm fairly certain you can be finding somethin' torquey enough ta get whats left o' the paint off,.... from thinners to brakefluid!.....SS sez he likes his mollasses 10 to 1,.... sounds good,... but us northern hicks go 6 to1,... up to almost what he's brewin'.... an' also we've found that a lot o' that ol' paint don't really feel like stickin' around after it's been in the 'sweetstuff' fer aspell either..... an' SS,... yer right,... we 'should' do an' update on mollasses.... it works,...an' you can lick it off!!........ now,... as fer yer colorcodes an' such,... back ta yer local station!................ one more thing,... deuce merchant just brought some minty-rusty 32 alberta plates here... tinmann has one cleaned up,.... which some o' you have seen posted here the others are in the mollasses... we'll pull 'em out in a few days an' do a post!..... good enuff??!!.................

"as fer yer colorcodes an' such,... back ta yer local station!" is where i get confused :) where can i get the colour codes?????:D:confused:

"as fer yer colorcodes an' such,... back ta yer local station!" is where i get confused :) where can i get the colour codes?????:D:confused:

Chances are they don't exist. If you do find a code somewhere it's likely that the source will be from someone who already did the following;
You'll have to select a paint manufacturer and then go through a chip book to find something close.
or find a good quality original plate and have the colour scanned and formulated.

:eek:well I did a little research and found a site dedicated to plates.Its http://www.alpca.org/ They describe how to restore plates . They also have names of fellows that do the restoration and prices.Quite reasonable .Its quite the collection of people that make it a hobby . I found the colour for 1928 plates and its yellow with black letters .The exact colour match of yellow I don't know but I do remember the plate I have had a mustard colour. I'm sure the fellows that do the restoration know ,since its their hobby:rolleyes:
Bob