Registering a homebuilt vehicle in Ontario

DJPyro

Hey all, I'm currently in the final design phases of a roadster build that I'm going to begin work on this summer.

The plan right now is to built it frame and all, from the ground up, and get power from a 302 or 351, with a T-5, and Ford 9" as the drivetrain.

I'm wondering what's involved in actually getting plates for this thing and driving it around. I have read the FAQ/Info sheet on here regarding it, but it's still a little vague to me.

My friend's father is an MTO inspector, and he's helping me out with regards to what's needed for road legality, but this isn't something he encounters often, so he's not positive on the minor details.

From what I understand, it should be a matter of documenting my build, acquiring the VIN from the donor motor's original chassis if I can, and then finding a mechanic to safety it (I'm in the trade, so I should be able to find someone). I can get a homebuilt VIN fairly easily from the way it sounds, and then I just need to find an insurance carrier that will take me. I'm thinking I'll probably have to go with a 19a policy, but that's more than ok with me. I've dealt with insuring RHD vehicles in Ontario, so I have a list of possible carriers.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to sharing the build when it gets underway.

DJ, you didn't mention a body. Unless you are constructing a body also from scratch (literally), it will not, and should not, carry a "homebuilt" designation.

Yes, body as well. The only things that will be sourced from a production car are:

Rear axle/brake assembly
Front spindles/brake assembly
Engine/Transmission

Wiring will be done with a Painless kit and tweaked to suit my purposes.
Frame and body will be fabricated by me.
Suspension links for front end will be fabricated by me.

I did read the article and saw the differences between home built, kit and rebuilt titles.

...if I'm not mistaken, you're biggest worry should be about 'year of manufacture' (i.e. 2010/2011) because you will have to have 2010/2011 emission controls to contend with and emission standards to get it on the road......

...if I'm not mistaken, you're biggest worry should be about 'year of manufacture' (i.e. 2010/2011) because you will have to have 2010/2011 emission controls to contend with and emission standards to get it on the road......

I think I'll be emissions exempt on the build date, but also, being north of Barrie, I'm exempt from drive clean anyway. In fact, Sault College, has the only emissions dyno in Ontario north of Barrie.