Rebuild 1927 Chrysler grille shell

jvo

Supporting Member
IMG_2093_zpstdn5ztqn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]I figured it was time I contributed something to the forum, so here is a little project I just did for a friend. Its a 1927 Chrysler grille shell, from a car that my friend Steve and his brother Jeff are working on. Their dad has had this car since we were all in high school, maybe sooner than that, and that's at least 45 years ago. He is now 94, and this is one of the last things that they needed to get done. They couldn't find a better one, so they asked me to fix it. I was a little bit nervous tearing apart an irreplaceable item, but it actually went better than I thought, just took some time. As long as I can remember how to post pics, it shouldn't be a problem.
IMG_2092_zpsaf9yxv6t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was rusted out pretty badly on the bottom, and the platers couldn't do anything with it. The black spots around the crank hole are actually perforations, i.e. holes through the metal. The rest of the bottom was crusty as well.

IMG_2095_zpstzawsehc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2097_zpsojlsbskr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The top end was in beautiful shape. I made up a flexible shape pattern from tape. I'll tell a bit of a story on this, in case some of you haven't done this before. Wray Schelin teaches this in his classes, and I believe he was the pioneer in doing a flexible shape pattern like this. You need low tac graphic artists' tape, sort of like masking tape, but has low tac so you can peel it off easily without tearing the pattern apart. You put one layer of tape on the object, and overlap it ever so slightly, maybe as much as an eighth of an inch.

IMG_2102_zpsvja6rt7m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2101_zpsrq3ymmtl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2103_zpsztnynvhq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I use a carpenter's pencil or a sharpie to highlight all the body lines, etc. onto the tape. IT will show through the fibreglass tape afterwards, and will not rub off that way.

IMG_2105_zps43aiyait.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I use a razor blade or a file to cut the tape around the edges, to remove the excess.

IMG_2106_zpsnmzpoof9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2107_zps25jwf6qi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2108_zps8cnbwjdz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After the first layer of tape, I used two layers of regular fibreglass packing tape. This stuff will not stretch, so it holds the shape of the object very well. You put the first layer on, 90 degrees to the layer of graphic artists tape, then the second layer of fibreglass tape is rated another 90 degrees. You can get away with only one layer of fibreglass tape, but it sometimes will come apart on you in use. The edges are cut off the same way, with a razor blade or a file.

IMG_2109_zpsaoaogxpp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then very carefully peel back the tape pattern so as to keep it all together. You don't want to pull the layers of tape apart, which can happen if you get too aggressive. Once it is pulled of the object to be patterned, you put a little powder, like baby powder to remove all the "tack" on the back of the graphic artist's tape. That way, when you place it on the metal you are working on, it won't stick to it again. You use this pattern to test the "fit" of the new sheet metal as you work it, and pound on it, to make the new shape. This method works very well.

IMG_2110_zpsqwvrlpxo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2111_zps5f0pgtb2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here you can see that the flexible shape pattern has the shape of the old piece, so you can now use it to make the new piece.

IMG_2112_zpsd695vs4g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2145_zps6dh6ydy9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay, I screwed up here, cause I didn't take any pics of this while I was pounding it out. I also made a buck out of a couple pieces of hickory. I bought a 4 foot long short at Windsor plywood, and laminated them together so it was two inches thick, then carved the shape out of it, using the flexible shape pattern to make it. Used a round over bit in the router to make the top edge consistent shape all the way around, and then sanded and planed and filed it so that the flexible shape pattern fit it like a glove. After that, I screwed the back edge of the new piece of sheet metal to the back edge of the hickory buck. Then screwed another piece of hickory on top of it that fit around the front edge of where I would be pounding it over the hammer form. For those that haven't used a hammer form before, you need to do this so the sheet metal doesn't just "lift" behind where you are pounding it down over the rounded over part of the hammer form. There were many hours of hammering and tapping so as to shrink the metal around the outer corners. That was the hardest part of the whole operation. You can see in subsequent pics, how the new sheet metal is quite rough here and there, but it all gets planished out in the end.

IMG_2150_zpsyqr1covr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the new panel, tack welded in place. I use the mig to tack it, then grind off the tops of the mig tacks flush to the surface, then tig weld the whole shebang up, in increments. Weld a little, grind a little, weld a little, grind a little, etc. so as to not get too much heat into the panel. This had very little warpage once it was all welded up.

IMG_2153_zps3nvk6drl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2152_zpssq3nq3y4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2151_zps0i770u9n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2154_zpsdp417o9x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here you can see it is welded up a few inches at a time, then I use a 3M green corp grinding wheel in a die grinder that is 1/4 inch thick to grind down all the weld, flush with the surface of the panel. This particular panel is gonna be bondo free, i.e., it has to be perfect as its going to the chrome shop afterwards.

IMG_2155_zpsmyyun6ia.jpg
[/URL]

[/IMG]
And the finished product, once welded, ground smooth, and the whole thing metal finished. It was a lot of work, but it turned out very nice.

IMG_2156_zpsztlirjpa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2157_zps83rtrecv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2158_zpsibqmd4tl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I had to make up a dimple die for the crank hole. I used half of a set of dies that James (W.Canada) sourced for me, and I made the other half of the die from pipe and stuff. Don't have any current pics of the home made piece.

Last edited:
IMG_2100_zpshfntiedl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2099_zpsgfl1zqdt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2144_zpseilb89xj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2143_zps3damwvlm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2159_zpsmxnb0its.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow, I got a message at the end of the first post that you can only place 25 photos into it. Anyway, these are the pics of the dimple dies, and the finished dimple for the crank hole. I made the new die set up, and tested it on a piece of scrap to see how it would work.

I think I finally have the photo bucket thing figured out, after you guys gave me some lessons last year. I haven't been very active as my son and I have been building a new home and business for him and his wife in Fernie. Has kept me busy for 9 months now, but the drywallers are in the building now, so I have been able to do a couple little projects. Just thought I would add a little something to the site while I had a bit of extra time.

Oh, and I did this photo bucket thing with out a hitch, using my iMac. Worked flawlessly. ( Had to put that in there for "Bob that talks funny").

Last edited:
That's very impressive, I must say.

About how many hours did that take you? Just curious as I have no idea how to do any of that stuff.

Embarrassed to say how long, but including making the flexible shape pattern, the hardwood hammer form, and the dimple die, it was about 28 hours give or take.

Wow..........awesome workmanship and outcome. I am VERY impressed!!:)

Nice work John!

Good to see someone putting some miles on their dimple dies, I made up some drawbolts for mine using Grade 8 all thread c/w deep nuts, then I put the whole set in a big metal case, (that is almost too much for a smart guy to be lifting:) ......My set spent some time up in Dawson Creek when my buddy Stacy was mounting the fiberglass front end on his Nova, but other than one or two test holes on scrap, I haven't dimpled anything yet:)

James

Embarrassed to say how long, but including making the flexible shape pattern, the hardwood hammer form, and the dimple die, it was about 28 hours give or take.

Considering what you started out with I would say that wasn't terribly long at all. It really is incredible work.

...what they ^^^ said and thanks for the narrative and detailed process pics. Simply an exquisite piece of work...

Thanks for the great post! That is one of the more interesting things I have seen in a long time. Well done.
I would like to think I will file that away to try out at a later time...
Thanks again,
Greg