Radium 2017

WestCDA

I've wanted to go to this show for a long time, but didn't manage to make it out there until this year. Drove out from Calgary on Friday afternoon to take in some of the Friday festivities, and stayed in town overnight. Great venue, tremendous turnout of cars and trucks, fantastic support from the town and local businesses, and a large number of of vehicles I haven't seen before.

Whatever contention existed between the show and the golf course this year was apparently settled, as it continued at the Springs course as it has in the past. It's a spectacular setting, and nice and comfy on the feet!

The weather was cold in the morning, so much so that cars were backed up to the highway and beyond waiting for the golf course to OK the load in. That had to wait until the frost was out of the ground, but once the sun emerged things warmed up quickly and it turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day for the show.

Far too many nice vehicles to capture them all - but these are a few that caught my eye. And yes, I do enjoy a nice Cadillac ... :)

A definite must for a return next year!

Radium 2017 Pics

Thanks for posting the photos.

I see quite a few cars from Alberta made it out, with ones at the Cochrane show the week before.

Daniel, 62Coupe, with his red Caddy was there too, as was Lee's, Ratrig, old ride too.

I can't justify a minimum 3-night stay that most hotels/motels want whereas I just need one night, or maybe two nights the most.

Last edited:
I spoke with Dan at length about his 62. Amazing work he's done throughout, including extensive modifications to the original (now injected) 390 Cadillac mill - not many off the shelf parts for those engines any more. Kudos to him for not taking the transplant route with a late model engine. Lots of improvements made to the chassis and running gear as well, that aren't immediately apparent - and there certainly aren't many others out there sporting a 5 speed manual transmission. I was happy to hear that his hard work and the car have been recognized at recent shows. :)

I was able to find a room for Friday night only at a Radium motel, a couple of days prior to the event. Not a five star property, but clean and within a couple of blocks walking distance to main street and the golf course show. Took in the show in the morning, had a great lunch on the deck of the Station pub in Invermere overlooking the lake, and was back in Calgary by 5:30.

Last edited:
WOW. Looks like a great show, and to walk on a cushy carpet to boot :) Too bad I was stuck in town this weekend. I'm booking a room for next year shortly.
Thx for posting
PS I hope Jake and Elwood make it to High River :cool:

Thanks for posting the great pictures! I took a few of things that interested me... Yes, quite a few of that '62 Caddie, damn that was a fine car!!
I have started the move to imur...not quite there to post pictures from that yet, sorry.
The show was down on entries as well, seems like a theme this year, approximately 760 entries instead of the very high 900's. A great variety... now I can't say it was low because of weather, it was great.
We toured down with 4 other cars from our 'hood, there was 6 other cars that took the long way to Radium past Langley and Kelowna, from Red Deer....they had a great tour, with a few gremlins to make for stories later on.
Looking forward to next years adventures.... Winter is coming, only one more event (OutKast Toy Run, Dec 30) for us before the Model A gets some serious attention.
Cheers,
Greg

I have been twice to this show in the past and I always liked it for the fact of all the cruising going during the weekend. It's nice to see the cars cruising in the small town, they overpower the main streets and I liked the atmosphere. Plus the area is so pretty. Another fun bit of this cruise it takes me 3 days to get there and we travel with a bunch.

A couple of things might have affected attendance - the lingering uncertainty about the Springs GC venue, and the weather forecast. Depending on which weather service you checked, the high temp in Radium on Saturday was all over the map - forecast anywhere from a frosty 11C to a balmy 22C right up until Friday. Fortunately it ended up on the higher end of that range - but it had me second guessing whether or not to come. Glad I did!

Great to see all you guys bring cars in for these shows from a distance - some great iron to look at, and some nice people to meet as well. Thanks for making the trip! :)

A couple of things might have affected attendance - the lingering uncertainty about the Springs GC venue, and the weather forecast. Depending on which weather service you checked, the high temp in Radium on Saturday was all over the map - forecast anywhere from a frosty 11C to a balmy 22C right up until Friday. Fortunately it ended up on the higher end of that range - but it had me second guessing whether or not to come. Glad I did!

Great to see all you guys bring cars in for these shows from a distance - some great iron to look at, and some nice people to meet as well. Thanks for making the trip! :)

Yes, I'm guessing the the weather forecast might have had something to do with you sliding in in there at the 11th hr for a room. :D
Glad you did and shared your pics with us :cool:

Thanks for the great pictures, some very nice rides there so god for you making the trip and posting here.