Question re registerring and insuring in Ontario

vwfanatic

Hi there, new to the site and have a couple of questions. I have numerous full custom vehicles based on VW chassis. They are currently all on the road but the ownerships do not reflect the final product. Lant ins does not have a problem with it either.

I have read the postings on "kit cars" and understand how the ownership should read. In 1999 when I did my first restoration, a 68 Dean Jeffries Mantaray II Kyote {he only made 150 bodies between 68 and 69}, I had no ownership and I wanted the ownership to read 68 Jeffries Kyote. The ministry insisted that they assign a new vin even though the chassis already had a valid VW vin. It came back as a 1999 Kyote Kit asdxxxxxxxxx. Uninsureable as Lant wanted a minimum 15 years old on paper. Since then I have taked the advice of an mto officer and registered it as a 1966 VW type1 convertible {the donor car}.

My question is when you restore or build a 19xx vehicle that does not resemble the donor car and are in need of an ownership, how do you go about getting the mto to assign the year that the body was manufactured?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
First off VWFanatic, ( and I'm not trying to be rude ) for anyone willing to answer your quere, ( and before you get roasted ) it's a common courtesy for new members to go to the Introduction Forum and introduce yourself.
You will get a better response if you do this small, respectful request.

And sorry, I personally can't answer your question, as I don't know the answer.

Last edited:
Lot of info all ready posted here 15 year rule i think is new and go's with inporting kit cars Canada customs . Read and call the number at bottom of the page. keep track of who you talked to and have them fax or email you with the answers.Puts a name and face to somebody said in the twilight zone. good luck http://www.canadianrodder.com/features/fyi/registering.htm

Thanks for the advice on introductions. It is done. As for reading the suggested page, that is what led me to this site. It came up in a google search. I have read it many times and it still remains unclear.
It states
Kit Cars
Definition: a complete body of a motor vehicle, not including an engine, chassis or drive train. Kit body is a replica of an existing or vintage motor vehicle
What I am dealing with are not replicas. I was under the impression that they would be classed as rebodied cars but from what I have been reading, a rebody is when the body is replaced with an identical body.

The VW vin was actually a chassis number that was stamped on the frame tunnel under the rear seat. It corresponded to an ID plate under the hood of which most are long gone. This chassis numbering system was in effect until 1980. Back in the day the chassis number was used as the vin and many ownerships listed a dunebuggy as 196x VW DB with the original chassis number. Have the laws changed such that this is now wrong?

Why not register it as a rebuild.

Rebuilt Vehicle
Constructed using various main component parts (body, chassis or frame) obtained from other vehicles or from auto wreckers, dealers or manufacturers, and whose vehicle identification number (V.I.N.), make, model or model year has been affected by this reconstruction. Rebuilt vehicles are registered in Ontario as:
V.I.N.: Of body of the vehicle (CHASSIS/FRAME V.I.N. is not used). If there is no longer an existing V.I.N. on the dashboard, you may request the licence issuing office to provide you with a ministry - assigned as RBT V.I.N., which you should affix to the dashboard. A V.I.N is needed before you can obtain a Safety Standards Certificate.
MAKE: Manufacturer of body of the vehicle (CHASSIS/FRAME manufacturer is not used)
MODEL: RBT
MODEL YEAR: Year that the motor vehicle car was rebuilt and registered with the ministry.

Kit Car
If a kit car does not have a 17-digit vehicle identification number (V.I.N.) on the dashboard, MTO will assign a V.I.N. starting with "ASD" at the time the owner brings in the notarized affidavit for the vehicle, and registers it as "unfit" and unplated. The owner then gets the safety standards certificate using the ASD V.I.N.

Rebuilt Vehicle
For a rebuilt vehicle where the body V.I.N. cannot be determined, MTO will assign a 17 digit V.I.N. starting with "RBT" at the time the owner brings in the notarized affidavit for the vehicle, and registers it as "unfit" and unplated. The owner then gets the safety standards certificate using the RBT V.I.N.

Last edited:
Here is my problem with rebuilt...MODEL YEAR: Year that the motor vehicle car was rebuilt and registered with the ministry. When I first started dealing with Lant, I was told that the ownership had to show a model year of at least 15 years old.

I want it to be the year the body was manufactured not the year the final product was registered. Keep in mind I am not building replicas of "manufactured cars" All of my buggies and my Bradley were available as turn key vehicles or as components. Each manufacturer produced in excess of 100 turn key vehicles making them a legitimate manufacturer. Sort of how AMC used parts from various manufactures but on a much smaller scale.

Last edited:
mto is funny
try finding an office that is more "vintage friendly"
I myself are coming across the same thing I have a 32 alffa replica
but it is registered as a homebuilt when it is obviously a manufactured kit car!!
All we can do is keep knocking on doors and hopeefully we will finaly get someone that will listen and be able to do something about it:mad: