Progress Update 8 - July 29 - Second Test Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
Yesterday, I conducted another test migration. So, what does that mean?

I started with a completed empty database (where all the information is stored) and imported into it, a very recent version of the the current forum.

Why a second migration? After the first test, there were items that came across in an unexpected way. So, I made changes to the this database and did a second test migration. It took over two hours for the import to take place and things were better but there are some things that need attention before I would attempt even THE final migration.

I have provided a full size image of the new test forum HERE for you information. You'll recognize the content from the way things looked here last week. I am still discovering new functionality as I play with it.

It's likely that when I decide to make the final migration and go live, I will have to have the forum down for at least a day and maybe two. AND, when I open it up, I will likely slowly make new features available after explaining a few things (like training so-to-speak).

One heads up: Avatars do NOT make the transfer well. They become pixelated (fuzzy) because the new software allows for an initial, larger physical size image.

For example, this is the avatar I upload for this software (80 X 80 pixels).
cdnrodder_avatar.jpg

This is what I uploaded to the new software (400 X 400 pixels)
admin1400.jpg

Once uploaded, it looks like this:
pageview.jpg

You don't need to do anything now but if your avatar doesn't look great AFTER the migration, think about finding something sized 400 X 400 pixels. that;s what looks best. I can help with this if you have issues.

Frank, I think many of s are following what is going on. Yes the new image looks great. I like it.

Yes, Me Likey too. As Rusty said, i believe most everyone is interested in what they are seeing. Im not very computor smart ,so it doesn't matter to me what it looks like,as long as I can learn where everything is I need to view posts and post (wrong) answers lol. Oh, and post pictures :)

Yup...watching and waiting for the big switch. Looks great so far...now got me thinking of what the new avatar should be.....hmmmmmm

Ditto as we wait for the grand opening - thanks for all the effort Frank.

Frank......I know you are processing through a big challenge to convert us. Is there anything we as individuals can do?

Keith, thanks for the offer of assistance.

Yes, I'm plowing through the admin side of things in the new software.

I'm hoping to post an update tomorrow where, among other things, I will ask for input which I hope will trigger discussion.

I haven't forgotten about my next update. I've been working on it off and on all day. Maybe later today or tomorrow morning. Sorry but it's a lot of typing and rethinking, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.