Power Steering

al37ford

Supporting Member
I thought I had already posted this but can't find it! So.....much as I'm loath to put power in my '37 I must. I can't id the box but told it looks like a about a non power '80 Camaro or similar. Wondering if anyone here has used a power assist from a GM compact or a Kia Soul and how did the installation go?

I've done it, a buddy with a 57 Olds did too.
There is tons a stuff on YouTube about.

Do you have the room that you can change the steering box to a power one and install a pump?…might be easier than gathering up a bunch of parts and assembling one…just a thought..

Every mod has it's challenges but to me the idea of electric eliminating pumps , extra brackets and pulleys , hoses , steering box , fluid and making for a cleaner more accessible engine compartment would be well worth the learning curve .

I know of one local fellow who's done an electric assist setup on his '39 coupe using (IIRC) Toyota Yaris, or Prius stuff, all the trinkets required were harvested from Pick'n'Pull.

Good info! The esthetics of it showing under my dash on a '37 bother me a bit but the again so does extra pump stuff in the engine compartment . I haven't done the rounds yet but I'd think the Kia Soul would be most common. I found a video on a Kia & it takes a wiring change inside the electric box which may be an issue.

Volvo also has a remote mounted electric power steering pump that you could use with a conventional power steering box.
The pump could be hidden anywhere with just the 2 lines showing at the Sbox.
A friend with a Coyote in a 62 Galaxie did that because the Coyote has no provision/space for a PS pump.

Volvo also has a remote mounted electric power steering pump that you could use with a conventional power steering box.
The pump could be hidden anywhere with just the 2 lines showing at the Sbox.
A friend with a Coyote in a 62 Galaxie did that because the Coyote has no provision/space for a PS pump.
I used the Volvo pump for my steering and hydroboost. I put mine in the trunk

So you still need a power box to hook up to. Mine is manual & just need a power assist/helper.

Re st box: I'll try to match when I get it out. That Volvo in the trunk sounds good. Got my battery back there now & more out of the engine compartment cleans things up. Would be damn nice to be 20yrs younger & just do things but this hobby is lifetime for me. Started when I was 14yrs old.

Here is mine in the trunk. Its also handy that it is close to the battery because your power lead (8 ga ) goes straight to the battery and is triggered by a 18 ga wire to the ignition.
20231130_144727.jpg

Wow, that's cool JBG If I was a wealthy as you it could be A STABLE MATE!!

Hahaha..if you were as wealthy as me you wouldn’t be living the dream on an island…you would be sitting here like me dreaming about cars I wish I could buy…Any ways I found that car for sale on FB in Osoyose BC..not sure if I spelt that right..guess that’s not to far from you…