Possible 2019 Event

Hi Everyone, I was asked (by an interested potential sponsor) if I would consider another "Points West" (#4) Canadian Hot Rod Tour event from Southern Ontario to British Columbia in 2019 coincidental with the next Northwest Deuce Days event.. My answer was simply that I would consider it pending additional reflection and input.
Anticipating a few questions

Question 1: Is it meant for people interested in the entire trip from Ontario to BC? Absolutely not. The Canadian Hot Rod Tour has always stressed "Drive a Little or Drive a Lot... But Drive!" In other words, as little or as much as you can or want to.

So, if you want to drive a lot, cool. If you want to drive a little, that's also cool. Either way, if you are interested in joining other Canadian rodders in 2019, I'd be happy to hear from you. There would be stops/pickup locations in all provinces including, and west, of Ontario.

Question 2: What would be the timing? If this happened, we would likely set out from Southern Ontario on July 9. 2019 with a similar itinerary as previous years.

Tentatively count me me in for next year, thinking Kenora to Calgary.

Hi Frank - with the news above of DD sold out and hotels getting weird.... is there a plan yet and anything booked for the Tour? I did plan to drive Calgary to DD if you're going.

This was just sent out to all on our 2019 distribution list for a "Points West" event:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'm sorry to have to report that there will not be a Canadian Hot Rod Tour from Ontario to BC (including Victoria and Northwest Deuce Day) in 2019.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Despite our efforts (since early this year), we have not been able to generate enough interest to justify, not only full-scale planning, but a full year's worth of work to implement the event.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]While it is still a full year away, an event of this nature requires that we have significant commitment from a core group NOW in order to make it viable - specifically relating to hotels and group block contracts. While we could carry on and make these commitments hoping that a larger core group would emerge over time, the risk is too high for us and for potential participants.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]While there are people who are interested in a smaller part of the larger event, both in the east and west, the whole event is a 22 day on-the-road commitment - not only from us as organizers but to the core group referred to above.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]As I said, I'm sorry to have to report this but we thought we should "pull the plug" early to allow alternate plans to be made.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]As always, best regards.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Frank[/FONT]

This is not the news most of us were hoping to hear but understandably, a wise decision needed to be made early.
Thanks for all the efforts you put into trying to make this happen, sorry it didn't work out.

Thanks also for all the other work you do on other driving events & keeping this forum up and running for us to enjoy.

Happy Trails

Thanks for the email Frank. After reading it I understand your position entirely

And, thanks for all you do for the car community. Take care.

So, this is all the response to this news? Pretty dissapointing

Thanks for your efforts Frank. We understand the situation and hope to catch up again sooner or later.

I got the news the other day as well Disappointed but understandable. I knew the Roadster wasn’t going to be ready for next year so it seems I have a new goal of 2022 Duce days

I was disappointed but fully understand your position Frank. It is a large task to take on a project of this magnitude but you need the support as well. I'm sure we'll meet again on a cruise in the near future.

Safe travels

So, this is all the response to this news? Pretty dissapointing
I don't think what you see here represents the disappointment of those of us that were looking forward to the tour. I also received the email a few days ago and, like the others was very disappointed but understand Frank's position. I'm just totally baffled by the lack of committed interest. I would have thought that almost everyone that had participated in the last tour would be hung ho for this one and would have told others about the last one and introduced them to the plans for next year thus INCREASING the interest/participation from the last tour.

Neil

That may work!!!!!!!:cool::cool:

Currently there is a few interested in going out.

I have suggested that we go on the Canadian Hot Rod tour that Frank is contemplating which is through western Ontario then north through Michigan to the Soo back to Sudbury then home.

When they get to the Soo we would turn left instead then head for Salt Lake City then over to the coast and north to Victoria ( this all depends on the wishes of the majority heading west of coarse).

Looking at March/April to decide on routing??????????

In the mean time we have booked rooms in Victoria for Fri. to Mon. FYI

I have fully retrofitted my hot rod for this tour from Eastern Ontario to Victoria. I have my entry into the Deuce Days and I have my hotel. I want to do the trip. I don't want to do it alone. If anyone is still interested in a smaller group, post up and let's see if we can do it.

Warren