Permissions by User Group

Admin

Administrator
These Permissions Are Current as of October 2020

Permissions are the privileges assigned to the major User Groups. These permissions are based on open discussions (June 2020) prior to the migration to the new software.

There are three main User Groups which are defined as follows:

Supporting Member: Those Registered Members who have supported this forum financially at the minimum level that we established in our discussions.

Registered Member: All other forum Members

Guests / Not Logged In: Either a true Guest (not registered) or a Registered Member who is not logged in.

Member Permission Matrix
permission_matrix3.jpg

NOTES (reference Note # above)
1) About Uploaded Photos: Images will be resized to 800 pixels wide. The original of the image on your device must not exceed 6 MB / 6000KB. For events, please limit posts to five (5) images then remote host (hot link) additional photos.

Also, I am going to ask that, once photo uploading is activated that everyone does not rush to simply test the functionality. I will set up a thread in the Admin Photos area for testing but will clean these test posts out periodically to avoid filling the file system with test images. I hope you understand.

2) Inserted images (like today) must be remote hosted (hot link). These will also be resized to 800 pixels wide to avoid the creation of vertical scroll bars.

3) The default setting in the new software is normally set to show ONLY a thumbnail of the image to Guests / Those not logged in. An override is in place so that a full size image is displayed.

4) This is the ability to send a PM to multiple recipients. This will be set to 2. That is, the originator plus 2. THIS HAS YET TO BE ACTIVATED.

5) There is an option to allow for conversations with people that can't START a conversation but CAN REPLY. By default this is set to NO. This has been turned on. This could be useful when a Registered Member replies to a classified ad by saying "please contact me". THIS HAS YET TO BE ACTIVATED.

Restating this as an example: A Supporting Member places a Classified Ad. A Registered Member replies to the post indicating that they are interested or need more details. The Supporting Member could then message them and carry on a conversation. This would require that Registered Members be allowed to REPLY (but not start) conversations. THIS HAS YET TO BE ACTIVATED.

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, that all seems good to me. Totally understand about adding privileges once up and running. Still a big job. Thanks

Keith, I will be candid. I had no idea there would be this much work involved.

The learning curve on the Admin side of things is enormous. I will simply have to bite the bullet at some point soon and continue the learning process on the fly.

Gary, it is (notice that I am avoiding contractions) much bigger than an apostrophe issue. There is something screwed up with the entire character set and I do not know how to fix it. I have investigated it but I have much more important work to be done relative to the new install.

When I originally posted this thread, I had to to revise the text about ten times as various special characters caused my text to be truncated (cut off).

I would advise anyone reading this to, for now, avoid apostrophes, dashes, single or double quotes.

I fully agree with your proposed schedule for permissions and timing. Thanks again for doing this.

I'm sure we are all waiting with bated breath for the eventuall out come looking forward to post pics of my little kitty (not)

Frank,
Suggestions for the messaging of a Registered Member is a good idea.

Lots of work in the background.
One reason I don't miss being a Network Administrator.

Setting aside any jokes...what’s a member and a active member.?
John, as a matter of fact, these "User Titles" were just updated today as it had been on my things-to-do- list. The may have to be revisited but, for now, they are based on the post counts in THIS TABLE (there's a section in the Admin Stuff area for User Titles)

sounds good...just poking around in all the new stuff trying to understand how stuff works...

I sent in money and got a thank you back a few months ago,but am not listed as a supporting member and don't have privileges to post in classifieds. Wondering if I missed a step or???