Now for something different

351CFalcon

Supporting Member
Here is Something Different for you. This 1963 Ford Thunderbird Custom was the brainchild of Eddie Leon, the Owner of Leon Furniture Storesin Los Angeles. Leon Commissioned George Barris to do the build, but like most Barris Projects, he just did certain pieces of the Fabrication, while Vini Bergeman at Kolor Me Customs worked on it as well. Bergeman’s shop is well known for their Custom Vans and Gigantic Limousine Conversions, including a few in the Guinness Book of World Records. This Unusual Custom with a striking exterior looks very different from your typical Thunderbird. It's unique exterior modifications were inspired by the world of Aviation, which was becoming a trend at that time in the United States. In addition, its long body is wearing a Corvette-badge at the front, has a chopped top, extended roofline, modified side skirts for the rear wheels, Pontiac 2+2 badges on the Quarters, and has a Science-Fiction Inspired custom interior. The interior features many custom switches, lights, and knobs covering most of the dashboard, and according to the current owner of the vehicle, everything still works. The standard Ford Thunderbird has 2 taillights at the rear, but this custom car has a 3rd taillight placed in a center section that is made to resemble a Fighter Jet Engine. Assuming George Barris’ Batmobile had some influence upon this design change. It is Powered by Ford’s Legendary 427 that has been mildly modified. The Scorpion as the Car came to be known, did Win the Trophy for the Best Custom Car in 1968 at the San Mateo Car Show. The Car spent most of its life in Southern California before an auto collector in Australia purchased it, and it now resides Down Under, in Adelaide.

click to enalrge

Attachments

• May be an image of car and text.jpeg
    May be an image of car and text.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 106
Another example of dare to be different somewhat.

1962 t-bird, owner grafted an olds Vista Cruiser wagon top and then custom made the back glass.

From 20 feet looks pretty good, however, time did take its toll on the graft. It was starting to get pretty rough.

click to enlarge

Attachments

• No photo description available..jpeg
    No photo description available..jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 65
Interesting build. Now I am betting we could find the other side of the custom builds for that T-Bird….a truck version?

Last edited:
There has been a Ranchero/El Camino type made out of virtually every make of vehicle ever since they removed the trunk lid and put in a box on the model A. Even though I had a 58 Ranchero, I never understood the purpose of them. If you want a truck, buy a truck.
Warren

Looks and novelty pretty much covers it . Some 15 ish ( maybe more ) gm decided the public needed a suv with a roof that rolled ahead to carry large loads . The advertisement showed it carrying a piano . Ever seen one ? I bet not . lol

Ok, let's go to the other end of the spectrum

click to enalrge

Attachments

• May be an image of text.jpeg
    May be an image of text.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 70
So, you didn't like that over-the-top 'stang.

How's this?

click to enlarge

Attachments

• May be an image of 1 person, tractor and text that says 'HELL EAR'.jpeg
    May be an image of 1 person, tractor and text that says 'HELL EAR'.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 60