New Member in Calgary Looking for guidance with getting registration

Darksyde

Hi All,

First I'm new here from Calgary, just found this site.

I'm in the process of building a 1941 Ford Pickup Rat Rod.
Started on it back in 2015. I'm am at the point where I need to start thinking about getting it registered and on the road.
There are a few Threads I've read already about the process, but many are 4+ years old. I'm looking for info from anyone who's done gone through the process recently. Also looking for info on shops around Calgary that can do a safety that are "Rod" friendly. My rod is a bit unconventional, so need a mechanic that understands a bit more that just generic suspension.

I'd share a pic, but mine are on another forum, and I'm not sure if its ok to link to another car forum.

Try to link a pic here
2eryNeW
https://flic.kr/p/2eryNeW

Last edited:
You don't indicate if you have a VIN, VIN plate and Alberta title.

First item: do you have a title and VIN?

If no VIN, that will be required before registration and inspection.

Insurance Bureau of Canada runs the Alberta VIN program.
There is a phone number in Calgary for them.

Have to be very careful in this process.

Is it an original '41 frame?
if so should be no problem.
However, depends upon the VIN inspectors interpretation of any frame modifications.
They come to you to view and then apply the VIN plate to the drivers door jamb/windshield post.
If they deem it modified, then it will be classed as a 2019 U-Built Model 1941 Ford truck.
And that means side marker lights, third brake light, brake warning light and a host of other safety items.
Frame modification is the key.
If the frame is from another vehicle other than a 1941 Ford truck, yup, classed as modified.
When the VIN inspector comes, don't volunteer any information unless asked.

Once a VIN is allocated and documentation filled in, then registration can occur with a safety inspection before the actual registration is granted.
Inspection form is available from nearest registry.

If you have a title but no VIN plate, I believe the above process is somewhat required.
VIN has to be verified. IBC can give you direction on this.

If you have a VIN, VIN plate and title, then all above is not applicable.
Go to the registry and pick up an inspection form.
One has 14 days from the date the inspection form was issued to get an inspection.

As to a Rod Friendly inspection place, you will have to ask around.
There has been a lot of changes to the inspection format and they have been tough on inspection facilities that don't follow the process.

Dale Adams Automotive, a high performance shop, is a certified inspection facility.
They have relocated to the 52nd Street and 114 Ave SE area of Calgary.

Depending upon who you chose, have a discussion with them as to what they will be looking for before taking the vehicle to them.
Show them pictures.
It will save a lot of hassles and money.
Some items are standard: wipers, heater, defroster, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, e-brake, safety/neutral switch, etc.

Vehicle has to be trailered to the inspection facility.

Good luck.

Oh, and be nice to all, you may not have to go through with this process, particularly if you have already have an existing or previous Alberta title.
At the Registry, don't volunteer any information.
Just act like you're registering a vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

I have a bill of sale.
The original frame still has a serial number(still intact) although only the front 1/3 of the frame is intact. So in reality major frame mods. No VIN.

Thanks for the response.

I have a bill of sale.
The original frame still has a serial number(still intact) although only the front 1/3 of the frame is intact. So in reality major frame mods. No VIN.

you're welcome.

I would start with IBC first; explain the bill of sale, VIN on the frame but not on the CAB (no mention of any frame modifications) and see what advice they give you.