Need registration advice. Interesting story!!

hemiEssex

So in the fall I dragged home these two 57 Plymouths to make a custom out of. After going through both of the glove boxes, I find in the two door hardtop (the one that I am going to use) an insurance form from 1966 (same year as the license plate) in the glove box. I use Canada 411 and I come up with a H. Novak that still lives in Peace River. So I call, no answer but I leave a message. I got a message back to call. So this morning I talk to a lady who is 83 years old. She says her husband was Harry Novak and that she thinks she remembers the car, but is unsure. She says her husband sold it years and years ago. I explain my situation that I believe the car was sold but the title was maybe not changed over to a new owner as it appears the car was never put back on the road after it was sold. I asked her if she would be willing to sign the title over to me and she told me that if I would send the forms to her with a pic of the car, she would talk to her son and see what they could do. She was very worried about doing something illegal, which I assured her I was in no way asking her to do. Nice lady, very helpful, but as I suspected said it was 50 years ago and was unsure of who had bought the car or any of its history. Now my question is:
How should I proceed with this. I want to get title of this car so I can avoid any problems in the future. What forms do I need to send??
Any advice would be helpful, if anyone here has had to do this before.
cheers
Steve

To my understanding you'll need to fill out an MV1484 form which is available at your local insurance branch, and on the internet.
I always call a guy named Mark, he is the registration guru in BC. He works with the Ministry of Transport, ICBC, SVABC, etc to get the cars registered properly so you won't have troubles later. It does come at a small cost but it is more than worth while. He can be reached at 604 937 7128 or 604 328 9365.

I did the same thing for the 60 Brookwood wagon. The guy who last registered the car had it towed away by a scrap dealer. The scrap dealer didn't want to crush the car and put it for sale in the buy & sell. When I bought it I did the same thing as you and contacted the guy on the reggie. Nice old guy and willing to sign the transfer papers no problem. Shouldn't be a problem , not as big a problem as "last resort" reggie.

Transfer forms available at ICBC office, it has been my painful experience that the less questions asked of bureaucrats, unless necessary, the better.

When you go to transfer it, the car might not be in the cuuent records, but they can search the archives.
:)

i have a simular situation, i bought a 60 fargo from a guy i know who owned the truck in 72, he sold it to his brother and it never moved again. in 2005ish the present owner passed away in a car accident and i bought the truck from the estate. there is a 1972 transfer form in the truck and we went through last resort to get the papers. oh boy. ICBC wants a copy of his death certificate and his will (executor signed it off as having no value)
never going to happen. I would never ask a family for that.

so i have a pile of paperwork on it in my desk and not sure what i will do with the truck. maybe if i ever do it i will get a bc vin ifi have to.

To my understanding you'll need to fill out an MV1484 form which is available at your local insurance branch, and on the internet.
I always call a guy named Mark, he is the registration guru in BC. He works with the Ministry of Transport, ICBC, SVABC, etc to get the cars registered properly so you won't have troubles later. It does come at a small cost but it is more than worth while. He can be reached at 604 937 7128 or 604 328 9365.

Mark Zomar is the man to call.

Finding an old car in good condition...... kewel
Purchasing an old car for a great price............ sweet
Getting an old car with a current reggy...............PRICELESS!

TG I had the current reggy with my 30!

hemiessex the problem I see is your dealing with two provinces right, ab and bc I think you need to reseach the last registered owner in each province and see if the one you have is real,if not then go through icbc and open the can of worms, just my two cents;)
Randy

regi

ICBC has a form for a title search which has to be notorized in order for them to do a search on the VIN to find the previous owner. I went through this to replace signed transfer papers which I misplaced and later found and am in the process right now with the Hudson. Although time consuming, it is not that big of a deal. Out of province regi will cause the need to go through an inspection to verify safety of the vehicle. Good luck, be patient...