Move a garage

JohnnyBgood

Supporting Member
I have a old 18 X 20 garage that I have to move..has anyone ever done something like this. Have to go to the left 25 ft than back 60 ft. Then to the right 40 ft. I have a 18 ft car trailer with 2 3500 lb axles. Was thinking of getting it on the trailer moving it but not sure how much the garage weighs. So has anyone done this or have any ideas. Don't want to end up with a pile of splintered wood..

Another factor to consider is the weight of the garage on the trailer.
A club in Kamloops used to share a car trailer and some guy moved a cabin on it and bent it in half.

I would think that trailer would be too light. I would try to rent or borrow a larger industrial type trailer.

Another option, (but labour intensive), would be to surgically dismantle and remove the roof, and separate the walls. You could then move each wall one at a time and reassemble it in the desired spot. My friend/neighbor did this when he decided to build a much larger garage beside his house and moved the old one to the rear of his acreage.

Hire a house moving company, honest. We have a small one here and with the hydraulic remote controlled jacks and bobcats and special trailer (and insurance) there is no way that I would even think about moving it. :)

Trailer weighs in at 2200 lbs. that leaves me 5000 lbs that the trailer should carry. I don't think the building would be that heavy.The roof is cottage style (4) sides with 10 in. wide boards for sheeting so it would be a pain to dissasemble and rebuild but do- able. Moving company want $2000 to move it. Can build a new one for that much....was thinking about somehow putting it on a skid and dragging it. Seen on utube 50 people picked up house by the floor joists and moved it. Can't afford beer for 50 people so that's out....gotta be a way to do it..

For every You Tube video of a successful move , I have to wonder how many fails videos there are ? :D

I moved one with my Jeep (smaller though 12x24) rigged it up so that I could drive the garage to destination with the Jeep inside supporting the weight off box, front and rear bumpers. I only had to move it about six blocks though. It looked mighty strange seeing that thing drive down the street seemingly by itself. :D

36WDel011.jpg

Bash

Last edited:
Ha...had the same idea but with my truck....put wood blocks between axle and frame so it won't bottom out...same in front...hmmmmm....should get great traction with all that weight....how did the jeep come out?

Trailer weighs in at 2200 lbs. that leaves me 5000 lbs that the trailer should carry. I don't think the building would be that heavy.The roof is cottage style (4) sides with 10 in. wide boards for sheeting so it would be a pain to dissasemble and rebuild but do- able. Moving company want $2000 to move it. Can build a new one for that much....was thinking about somehow putting it on a skid and dragging it. Seen on utube 50 people picked up house by the floor joists and moved it. Can't afford beer for 50 people so that's out....gotta be a way to do it..

Can't afford beer for 50 people?? What about pizza or Chinese to go with it???:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm thinkin f you can jack that building up to get a trailer under it and it will fit , you can move that sucker. 18X20 isn't that big. You still might have to buy some beer but it will be far less than 2k :D. I wouldn't dismiss dragging it either.

I moved one on my old acreage years ago, simply removed the interior sheeting to expose the studs then ran 2 x 10's across the width then bolted them through the studs and ran cripple studs to the top of the wall. I think we ran 4 of them and used them to slowly raise the garage with jack-alls then backed in the trailer. Really wasn't that bad.

I moved one on my old acreage years ago, simply removed the interior sheeting to expose the studs then ran 2 x 10's across the width then bolted them through the studs and ran cripple studs to the top of the wall. I think we ran 4 of them and used them to slowly raise the garage with jack-alls then backed in the trailer. Really wasn't that bad.

Doing that with a farm wagon works really good.

Similar to above. I used to work for Speedy Heavy Hauling for many years, and I helped Speedy House Movers do a few garages. Single car garage, just lag bolt or nail a 2 x 10 along each side of the garage into the studs. Back a flat bed truck or trailer inside the garage, and place a beam across the flatbed and under the 2 x 10 on each side, after you have the garage jacked up. Lower it down onto the beams, and drive away. Pretty simple job for a one car garage.

Ha...had the same idea but with my truck....put wood blocks between axle and frame so it won't bottom out...same in front...hmmmmm....should get great traction with all that weight....how did the jeep come out?

The old girl did great didn't even grunt.. the garage was bare studs inside no drywall or insulation so it was not that heavy.

Bash

Think the problem I'm going to have is getting 2x10s cross braces long enough. Need at least 18 ft. Lumberyard only has up to 16 ft

Gotta clean it out so I can really have a look at what I have to work with. Going to be a summer project when the ground is hard and dry...

Moved my 10x20 with my 46 hudson. Blocked the rear axle. Made 2 beams by laminating 2- 2x6 together across the box, screwed to wall studs with supports.

Really starting to like the idea of using my truck to move it.....would be much easier if it was about 4ft narrower....

Cut the building into four quarters. Then when you get to the new site you already have 4 square corners to work with allowing you to make the new place bigger if necessary. A neighbour made his wider cutting in half length ways, then pulled it open with a 4 wheeled quad. All he did then was fill in the middle.