Motorsports History

chichm

Greetings petrolheads, I’m new here.

I’m volunteering with the Canadian Motorsport Historical Society building THE Canadian motorsport Archive. The goal is to assemble a go-to source of material on every motorsport discipline, including road race, circle track, rally, hydroplane, drag race…. Everything! We started with the Mosport track because that’s where our initial funding came from, but we’ve sampled other tracks and disciplines to seed collections. In the year since we started we have over 12,000 records starting from the turn of the century, mostly clustered around the ‘60’s right now, but we’re moving forward in time.

I’d like to invite everyone to have a peek at what we’ve done to-date at https://motorsporthistory.ca/ and imagine what it could be like as the collection builds. I did a wee introductory video here

If you’d like to contribute material to the Archive, like photographs, movies, race programs, articles etc, we’d love to include it! We do not hold any physical artifacts, just digital, but we have a catch-and-release policy whereby we can digitize your material and return it.

We’re a small group consisting of subject matter experts in road racing, circle track and rally, but we need a champion for drag racing and hotrod clubs. If you’re really into motorsports history and are willing to volunteer some time to help build an archive collection for this community, please get hold of us through the contact form on our website.

Marcel: I think it's great that some people are making an effort to try and capture some of our CANADIAN Motorsports history, which is pretty fractured and didn't often get the exposure it deserved from Canadian Media.
One small lead for you, for Motorcycle stuff (and other), you should contact the Reynolds Alberta Museum in Wetaskawin, as they have a substantial collection.
I donated many years worth of Cycle Canada Issues quite a few years back, and there were plenty of competition results in all of them, MX, Road Race, Speedway and more!

Good Luck with your collecting!
Cheers!
James