Motor home

JohnnyBgood

Supporting Member
Not to sure if this belongs on this site..but it’s got a motor so here we go..it looks like I have to do several cross country trips this year. I’m looking for a older C class or small A class to travel in. I want a older unit because of the cost of a newer unit and if it breaks down I can probably fix it..newer computer stuff is beyond me..anyways I’m looking for advice as to what’s a good unit and what to watch out for..as in good or bad things. This motor home stuff is new to me so I’m kind of fumbling around in the dark... Any advice would be much appreciated..I have found out that roof or window leaks can destroy a unit very quickly..thanks in advance..

Not to sure if this belongs on this site..but it’s got a motor so here we go..it looks like I have to do several cross country trips this year. I’m looking for a older C class or small A class to travel in. I want a older unit because of the cost of a newer unit and if it breaks down I can probably fix it..newer computer stuff is beyond me..anyways I’m looking for advice as to what’s a good unit and what to watch out for..as in good or bad things. This motor home stuff is new to me so I’m kind of fumbling around in the dark... Any advice would be much appreciated..I have found out that roof or window leaks can destroy a unit very quickly..thanks in advance..

You are correct....water leaks are the big problem, just not externally re the roof and windows but also if there is a shower in the unit too.

Check for smell of must and mold. Be suspicious of air fresheners.
Check floors, walls and roof for softness, indicating rot.
Check operation of 3 way fridge on all three modes, as well as furnace, stove and a/c.
If you find a good candidate, consider having it taken to an RV service company for an inspection prior to purchase.

One other thing to be aware of, which I am sure you have considered, is the horrendous gas mileage these things can get. It is nice to have all your stuff with you and be able to get off the beaten path, but you could stay in a hotel for what you will spend in gas. :D

One other thing to be aware of, which I am sure you have considered, is the horrendous gas mileage these things can get. It is nice to have all your stuff with you and be able to get off the beaten path, but you could stay in a hotel for what you will spend in gas. :D

You are absolutely right. Mileage sucks. If it wasn’t for the virus thing going around I wouldn’t need a motor home. I’m just in a situation where I have no choice because I can’t wait for the 2 week isolation time at the end of each trip that I would need if I stayed in motels.

Last edited:
Check the roof for repairs or damage.
Check all the caulked areas,skylights,edges,ac units etc.
Look on the outside for delamination.
Inside again check for repairs and as said above air fresheners are a warning sign.
Check underneath as you would a car for rust,bushings etc.
Engine wise depending on the age then good old big block chess or Fords are as reliable /unreliable as they are in any vehicle they were in.
In newer units the ford v10 is an amazing beast.
An rv inspector is always a good idea if the cost of the unit warrants it.

If you cant take it for an inspection,at least get a moisture reader
(add JT joke here). My cousin inspects RVs,and thats the first thing he checks.
He found a leak inside our bedroom wall in our RV, and sure enough,there was a large crack in the sealant where the rubber roof meets the front siding.

Have you inquired about renting? A local RV dealership is loaning out RVs for free to healthcare workers. You never know,you might be able to strike a deal with someone if it is an essential need.

All the places here are rent and return to the same location. $150 to $200 a day. I need it for 2 months. 6 days drive out there then sit in the driveway for 48:days then 6 days back. If I buy a short home I can drive it around...screwed in a big motor home in Vancouver. .i do like the idea of the moisture meter...

Found a place that rents a motor home with a pickup in Toronto and drop off in Vancouver. Allowing 6 days for driving..for a total including tax...$4927. Plus gas..And that’s only one way..Friggin nutz...this is why I’m trying to buy one...

Called the MTO today..nobody there...just a looong recording..no new plates..no renewals..just drive until they reopen..no trip permits...and no one to ask what I can do...I was going to see if I could buy a motor home I’m BC and drive it back...trying to find out what I have to do and if I have to do it in BC or Ontario....

Does it have to be a motorhome?
Do you own a truck? What about a truck camper, or truck & trailer?

Right now we are concentrating on a motor home...in a few weeks I might start looking for a trailer or camper...my truck would need work to make a cross country trip with a camper on it..then there are the mountains to cross...

Right now we are concentrating on a motor home...in a few weeks I might start looking for a trailer or camper...my truck would need work to make a cross country trip with a camper on it..then there are the mountains to cross...

Lots of YouTube videos on doing a cargo trailer conversion to an RV using a 7ft wide by 14 to 16 ft long cargo trailer with tandem axles.

Sounds like time is of the essence.

This is another less expensive option:
www.gnomehomesinc.com

Based in Sherwood Park AB

Last edited:
Since no way to get plates or any trip permits for a vehicle right now I went and had my truck run through a safety just to see what I would be up against if I found a slide in truck camper. Turns out the truck is in great shape . Passed with flying colours. Only thing they mentioned was the tires where not really truck tires..trying to find LT tires for the truck but they are almost the same specs for car tires...guess I better see if I can find a camper first...ha.

Idle minds can be dangerous! How's this sound? Take the box off your truck, then take the axle out of a tent trailer and put that on the truck. It should be lighter than a camper + box and less air drag, so better gas mileage. Or put an axleless Boler or teardrop trailer on your truck. Hugh?? :D :rolleyes:

Ummmmm...had a tent trailer...didn’t like the set up ..especially when it was raining..do like bolo trailers...if I found a cheap one I would leave it on it’s own wheels...keep thinking though...somewhere..someone will have just what I need...not too sure exactly what I need though..

YkFsBnYl.jpg
. Well this is what I ended up with...going to be an adventure..it’s 4x4x7..

Looks cozy and it beats the hell out of getting bed bugs from a motel, at a couple hundred bucks a night.