More RBT confusion

57dood

Was thinking bout buyin parts from various sources and building
a 30s rod.BUT from what im reading is if it has no title/ownership
even if its a 1934 from parts it will get an MTO RBV vin assigned and year will be set at current,so emissions test required.
plus,sales tax on total value,say 20000,
thats big buks ...

also i dont think the ol 400 hp small block from
69 is gonna pass,maybe, with catylitics on......is this true?

might be best to get a title(US) obtained by current owner(US) then shes a
true 1934 ,exempt from emmissions and the finished project tax grab.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you profile was filled out completely, we would know what province you were in. That could help you with the reggie process. You cannot buy a title in the US and think it can be registered in Canada. You CAN, import an older car from the US and pay GST upon entry and then get it registered in your province. In BC, before it can be registered it must pass a mechanical inspection.

Each province has somewhat different requirements. There is lots of info on this site on this very subject. late addition::So MTO means
Ministry of Transport, Ontario???

Last edited:

Each province has somewhat different requirements. There is lots of info on this site on this very subject. late addition::So MTO means
Ministry of Transport, Ontario
???

You got it. :D :D

If you can get an ownership, that would be best. Register it as soon as you can, for the current appraised value. This way you only pay the taxes on that amount. Then all you need to do is certify it when your ready.

Last edited:
Yep,been readin the MTO process,wondering if what i posted was true for cars brought into
Canada from USA as parts.
car bought with US title can be transferred in Ontario to unfit no probs.

Is there a way around the ,,current year designation for an RBV
assigned by MTO,,,,,, to say,,,, it is in fact a 1934/35 chevy?

If you are rebulding a 30, then it is a 30...R.B.V.is not a problem, just have to swear out an Affidivate and have it notorised (town hall is the cheapist) That will give you ownership, have your bills to prove you paid taxes on parts. Somewhere on the Canadian Rodder main page is an article on the procedure.
This has also been covered on the forum here for Ontario.
Hope this helps.
When registering, its a 8 cylinder...thats all they ask for, could be a bbc 572ci...does not matter and no drive clean for over 20 years old.

Last edited:
wow,thats way too easy,after reading the MTO crap,i started shakin.

sooo, the form 3 doesnt cause any probs with that procedure?

thanks!

This is what I did being in Ontario (bordeline communist)

Had T body with no numbers (but did find some on cowl) and original frame bought years ago, found numbers on frame. Had buddy at garage do me up appraisal for car that I paid $500 with vin I found(freebie)-They need some kind of dollar value to know what tax to charge you. From there drafted up all info i could relating to car--who you are , where u live where u bought it and stuff for affidavit purpose --took that to township office --held up my right hand swore facts were true and bingo out door with statement $20 and off to MTO office--handed them my appraisal and sworn statement-asked what size engine said 4 cyl since what it originally came equipped with figure so what if u changed it to v8 down the road they dont know that-another $50 i got 1926 model t ownersip in hand unfit of course--total cost $70 --so the guys who charge $300 and up are out to lunch isnt that hard to get one-sure most do the same and charge the 3 beans having never had an original ownership-any questions feel free to PM me--

cheers shane

lol pretty much what sloorider says --didnt see all the b4 started beaking off

thanx Sloorider--gave it a shot --seems to come up quite often and isnt near as difficult as everyone thinks--not breaking any rules or laws ........lol maybe bend them a little to suit our needs is all