Mig or tig.

JohnnyBgood

Supporting Member
I’m toying with the idea of purchasing a tig welder. I have a mig but I’m not very good at it and I don’t know if I can get any better...and like someone said in another thread..I’m a grinder..not a welder . So..to all of you welders out there that can mig and tig weld...even those like myself that can weld..but not very well.. anyways what is easier for the average guy and what gives better results..should I learn how to mig weld better first or is it a lost cause if I can’t mig to think I could tig....?

Anything can be learned. Whichever method is just practice, practice, practice.
The key thing is being able to see the puddle of molten metal and run a bead.

Mig welding is a one handed operation.
Tig welding is two hands that need synchronized movement, like gas welding. One hand has a torch to heat/melt the metal, and the other feeds in the filler rod. There is also a foot pedal to regulate the power.

If you have an oxy acetylene setup, I would recommend practicing running beads on some scrap metal every day before buying the tig.

Personally I have only attempted tig, I have done tons of Oxy/Ac but had trouble with the added foot thing lol. I could likely get use to the hand control unit but haven't got the time or money to buy a tig anyway so... having said that I don't think it gets any easier than mig! Not that I am welder by any stretch but I like you can stick two pieces of metal together. ;)

I get your points...I was good at brazing ..about 45 years ago..couldn’t stick weld to save my life. Mig welding is still a mystery to me. One day I’m amazing..next day not so much...now as you say..tig is a 3 handed process...one for the rod..one for the torch and one for the regulator... having said that ..I can rub my belly..pat my head and tap my foot at the same time...and I’m pretty good at it...but I think I will search someone local that has a tig and give it a try to see if I can handle the 3 handed process...thanks guys..eh.

Maybe see if Niagara College has night courses.

If they don't, maybe you could round up a few like minded friends and approach them as a group to see if they would set one up for you.
We did that here about 35years ago. They went so far as to let each person choose what they wanted to learn or practice, (after they went through safety and basic welding). Some were doing gas, some were mig and some were tig.

I chose tig as I had already done gas and mig for autobody. Spent the whole course learning and practicing tig.
Haven't touched a tig torch since. lol.
No reason other than the price of tig machines at the time (compared to my wage). Just how life works sometimes.

TiG is my favorite…I can hardly stick weld and my MiG is horrible…all sticks, but TiG is way prettier and much more satisfying. Yes it is more difficult, and I do strongly suggest as Scotty did, take a course first…either at a school or a buds shop.
Good luck with your research.
Greg

I have had my Tig machine for over 30 years, it's old scratch start AC Dc High frequency. I also have a Miller 130 XP mig .Its at least 15 years old and has maybe four hours on it. Mostly all done this year. As I age (77) my ability to free hand the Tig torch has diminished. If i can support the torch somehow I can do some great welds, for structure and body work.
Practice for Tig is key ! My Tig machine is not the best for you to learn on, but if you want to visit some time at my place , you are more than welcome to give it a try. It would give you an idea if Tig is right for you.
What are the reasons for your wanting a Tig machine?

Brian

The reason I’m thinking of getting a tig is because my mig welds are terrible. I’ve had a few lessons and for some reason I just can’t lay down a good looking weld. Now I don’t weld every day but in the 20 years I’ve owned that welder my welds look the same today as when I started to mig . I think a big part of my problem is I really don’t see the weld very well when I’m welding. I’ve tried several helmets but it doesn’t help. I’ve never had a weld fail on me but I do have to do quite a bit of grinding after I weld to make it look good. The only weld I’ve ever been happy with was on a tractor implement I made out of I beam. Looks great and has taken years of really bad abuse and is holding great. I know everyone say you have to practice..but how long do you practice before you know you will never be any good at it. Funny thing is I know if I get a tig and I get to be good at it...it will still bother me that I can’t mig worth a crap...

I don't know how to solve your problem for you, but I can possibly offer some insight. If you can't see properly, your tig welds probably won't look any better than your mig welds. I have taught quite a few people to tig, that thought there was some black art involved. I tell them if you can gas weld, you can tig weld. Same process, different heat source.
Now my experience travelling to other's shops to do work on their cars. I have a Miller 210, which I am thinking about selling and getting something more portable, such as the new units that have both mig and tig capability. Without naming anyone, or their projects, I have tried to use a Clarke, and a WeldKing, and a couple other off brand mig units. I can do spot welds all day and all night that turn out really nice with my Miller. Not so with these other units.
The trigger response is very important in making mig spots. One of those in particular wouldn't give the same juice consistently like my Miller. One spot it would work instantly, next one there was a slight delay in starting, then burn through then swearing. I'm not going to try to convince anyone their pride and joy they paid good money for is a pos. I've got my constant at home, and if I encounter one of these offshore units, I usually have trouble doing a nice job.
I don't know what brand you have, and perhaps yours is red or blue, but if not, try a different unit and see if you get better spot welds doing that.
With brand new 18 gauge to 18 gauge cold rolled, I can spot very well on setting 3 on my Miller 210 ( old unit, not digital), with the wire feed set about 30. Welding older 19 gauge to new 18 cold rolled, if there are any thinner spots at all, I would probably burn through, and have to turn it down to setting 2.
I always try to spot with a higher heat setting, and low wire speed. Gives a nice hot flat spot with good penetration.

I'd like to add, I use my mig a LOT, but if I have to do any hammer and dolly work afterwards, I always use the tig. Much more malleable after welding.

So this is my mig. it’s been a good unit for everything I’ve done...it’s just my skills that are lacking.
898CFB3A-ECD0-4413-AF7B-BC4D601CA877.jpeg

If you can't see well enough to MIG weld you are going to have a nightmare with TIG welding. It is critical to be able to see well as you need to be able to place the rod into the puddle. You need to get that sorted out before you do anything else. Make sure you don't have any lights directly behind you or above if you are leaning over. Back glare inside the helmet is what I find it the most troubling for vision. You can get glare guards for helmets but I find just properly positioning in relation to lighting sources from behind helps a lot. If it's not that perhaps you need a cheater lens to help with vision.

Well I just got glasses a little while ago to help me when I’m reading stuff...haven’t tried them with my helmet yet...I know the helmet I have is kind of obsolete ..and the lens is pretty pitted..maybe I’ll start with the new glasses and a better helmet...yeah I guess the tig is on hold until I get my vision straightened out....thanks for all of the advice....

I guess I'm a fossil as I used to make my living gas welding pipe for BC Gas (hydro) in every condition possible. From zero tips to #5. but never tried TIg though I'm told it's much the same.. Oxy/Acet test used to give us a 4" pipe & take 3 coupons out to a vice, cut & if your weld didn't crack you got your municipal license . Never failed so guess I could do it IF my eye sight would allow!!

I have had my Tig machine for over 30 years, it's old scratch start AC Dc High frequency. I also have a Miller 130 XP mig .Its at least 15 years old and has maybe four hours on it. Mostly all done this year. As I age (77) my ability to free hand the Tig torch has diminished. If i can support the torch somehow I can do some great welds, for structure and body work.
Practice for Tig is key ! My Tig machine is not the best for you to learn on, but if you want to visit some time at my place , you are more than welcome to give it a try. It would give you an idea if Tig is right for you.
What are the reasons for your wanting a Tig machine?

Brian
Thanks for the offer..I just might take you up on it..

I guess I'm a fossil as I used to make my living gas welding pipe for BC Gas (hydro) in every condition possible. From zero tips to #5. but never tried TIg though I'm told it's much the same.. Oxy/Acet test used to give us a 4" pipe & take 3 coupons out to a vice, cut & if your weld didn't crack you got your municipal license . Never failed so guess I could do it IF my eye sight would allow!!
Ha..bad eyes..you and me both...if I ever win the lottery..it’s eye glasses for everyone...

I didn't read all the replys so this may have been stated. As much as possible I weld on practise pieces. Similiar pieces in similiar situations. I noticed the word PRACTISE!! mentioned. I found mig to be the easiest for me but as my eyes have weakened, and small arcs on thin metal Ive had to go to lighter lenses to see the job. If you went out to the garage for an hour a night and put passes on a piece of plate in different positions in a week you'd be getting comfortable with your mig. Thats how I learned go stick weld under Mr Halls guidance at tech high school in Saskatoon.
Still like stick welding/ angle grinding,, lol.
Fred

Last edited:
Do the lighter lenses offer the same protection? I don’t want eyes any worst than they are already.

Im no expert but if I dont see the light flash when I take the helmet off then must be the same as a darker lense and a strong arc. Anybody else have an opinion?
Fred

JBG. The darker the lens the more protection you have. shade 10 is normal. I have my auto helmet set at 9.5
My eyes are getting worse with age and I an using 2.50 readers to weld but after hardsurfacing a bucket today I had a few stray beads off the diamond pattern I was trying to achieve. I think I'd better look into some 3.25's to weld now. Getting old is a bitch and the tired eyes is all part of it for most people.
To comment on your original post, I wouldnt recommend taking up tig welding if you are struggling with the mig. As someone else mentioned, there is a lot going on with using a tig torch properly ,machine settings,gas pressure , using both hands and a foot while sitting comfortable to access the weld joint and most importantly constantly sharpening tungston if you are stick dipper. I am guilty of that myself even though I used to see better and lay down a decent bead. Getting old sucks sometimes :confused:

I’m going to buy a new helmet. PA has one on sale that looks decent. Yeah I think the tig might just be a pipe dream..I’m going to get some cheap reading glasses also...as far as being a stick dipper...that’s just too personal for me to comment on...eh...