Making a headlight bezel

jvo

Supporting Member
Duane has been bugging me for quite a while to make a couple of headlight bezels for his 40 Packard. He bought and installed some hidden sunken headlights, which I shall not name, and told me he lost one after a truck went by him, and it blew off, and made a trip of its own down the highway.

He contacted them to get a replacement, but I guess they didn't reply. So, I have been thinking about how I was gonna do it and I finally got around to it and made a prototype.

The headlight is 8 1/8 inches in diameter. I made this first one to butt up against the original headlight bucket, but he has decided he wants to overlap it to the outside so my bezel must be made to fit over the 8 1/8 diameter housing.

I have already opened the top template up to allow the outer circumference of the ring to be "that much larger". Just marked it and took the jigsaw and cut another 1/8 bigger opening.

I may have to make a larger diameter dolly now, but I won't know till I cut a new blank and start hammering.

IMG_5137.jpeg

Just a couple pieces of 3/4 inch plywood that I already had. The bezel is supposed to be about 3/4 of an inch wide ( wider now) and 3/4 deep front to back.

When I made the first blank, I measured the outer circumference of a 3/4 inch shaft, in order to make the blank big enough to wrap half way around it. I do not remember the measurement of the outside diameter of the first blank, and it's irrelevant now.

The next try will be just that much bigger. Another day.

I drilled a hole through the plywood and used a jig saw to make the circular cuts. If you use a good blade, and go slow enough, you can follow the line right around very nicely. It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, just close.

IMG_5138.jpeg

IMG_5139.jpeg

I use transfer punches a lot. It's the only way to do precise work. I bought those female transfer punches from eBay many years ago. That complete set for 65 bucks, and they are worth their weight in gold when you need them.

The chunk of axle in the background I figured I'd use to clamp down the middle of the blank. It absolutely will not shift if clamped this way. You can't have the hammer form shift while you're wailing away on it. I've heard of it happening to people.

IMG_5132.jpeg

I started out with the smaller rod. Hammering away on it, it moved the metal but made a lot of marks which all have to be planished out later.

Tried the bigger one, and it was just a tad too wide for this go round. It might be what I need this next go round though, as the gap I'm hammering into is now quite a bit wider.

Hoping that will make it easier to go down in there as well. You have to hit it quite hard.

Notice how the top of that homemade dolly is mushroomed out? I know exactly how that metal felt, cause I took my eye off the battle for a millisecond and landed a hammer blow that glanced off my left index finger. That was close.

Last edited:
IMG_5131.jpeg

This is the first go round, and I was looking for a dolly that would fit in there with somewhat of a rounded shape to shrink all those puckers down. It was awkward as the dolly wasn't perfect, but it did get done.

The blank is only partially hammered into the hole in this pic. It still had a long ways to go.

IMG_5136.jpeg

Fresh out of the hammer form. It's pretty rough yet, but all that can be planished out. No point in spending time on that till you know you have a winner.

BTW, I hole sawed the hole in the middle of the blank so the axle flange would fit in there.

IMG_5133.jpeg

I tried the first blank in the hammer form after I cut it out a big bigger for the next try.
IMG_5135.jpeg

That's the business end of the homemade dolly. It works much nicer than the smaller round rods I used at first, and doesn't mark the blank up nearly as badly.

IMG_5132.jpeg

Here you can see the cavity the next blank will be pounded down into. I'm hoping this same dolly will work for the slightly larger diameter. I think it will. I won't be able to update this for a bit, but I will show the finished bezel afterwards.

In case I didn't mention it, the only reason for the flat middle part of the blank is to hold the perimeter in place. The complete flat part of the blank will be removed once it has been properly shaped. Wish me luck.

I have no idea if this is going to turn out, but I have hope that it will.

Last edited:
John: My shoulder hurts just looking at the pics!

BTW: You didn't mention the material thickness, I'm guessing 18 or 16g?

Not that I know anything about metal shaping but I’m thinking with all of that shape 20 gauge would be more than strong enough and way easier to shape…maybe?

Actually, its 19 gauge. I still have a one more sheet of that 19 we all bought many years back. You were a part of that James, or don't you remember that far back? It's actually some of the 19 gauge from Doug Walter's metal meet way back in I can't remember when. Bob Andrews and I attended that and we all had a group buy on some 19 gauge that was drawing quality. So it works nicely for this. I would need a sledge hammer to form 18 gauge cold rolled I'm thinking.

John: I remember group buys, but I was never a part of that, but possibly Ken got in on it? And as far as the WHEN, it would have been prior to the first Meet that you and Tal put on in Lethbridge, and that was in 2008 (and Doug and another fellow drove up from Chilliwack). That's all the details I can currently access from the rusty memory banks:)

And if 19g DQAK is fighting you that hard, 18g would be a b!tch to work with in those tight confines!

This is an excellent post along with the other metal fabbing posts…..keep bangin and I will keep watchin

I'm curious and trying to learn. Could you have used a router bit with a similar radius to what you need, and pound the metal right down against the form?

Yes, I could have used a router to gouge a channel with the proper radius, but if you pound too hard, you can make a lot of dimples also. The wood will pound down if you hit it hard enough. That is why I work on an old table top, as opposed to a steel workbench. Pounding on the formica surface with compressed sawdust under it gives a nice feel when you work it. Steel is steel, it doesn't give, there's no feel to it as far as I'm concerned.

If you watch closely with each hammer blow how the metal is moving, you don't really need to have a perfect channel. I try to go round and round with many many hammer blows with the same effort. Just keep bouncing the hammer back up after each blow and move sideways an eight of an inch or so. Just like a pullmax would do it, only a pullmax doesn't break a sweat, just eats up your bank account and about 40 square feet of floor space.

Always in awe of your metal fab talent John. I started out as an autobody apprentice after a course at VVI in the 60's, where we learned to shrink, pick, file and dolly, but after a few years of masking, sanding and filling with bondo. The standard yell was "is that the same car? get it out of here." Nice to see how it should be done. Thanks!

So back to my thoughts…which I seem to have less and less every day…would 20 gauge still be suitable or too thin?

Yes, I think 20 gauge would be just fine for this application. I don't have any around the shop, as I won't use it for regular body panels and this is the first time I've ever thought I would maybe need to. Yes, it might be a lot easier, but I think I've got it now. Only thing is, I have to make one more exactly light this one.

Round 2. I used a piece of masking tape to measure the distance. Needed to figure out the outside diameter of the new blank.

1 1/2 inches plus the diameter of the centre piece which is 6 3/8.

IMG_5144.jpeg
IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5147.jpeg
IMG_5148.jpeg
IMG_5149.jpeg

Cut the new blank and made the hole in the middle to register the axle stub.
First pic shows a couple rounds. of hammering then I started to tip the outer edge up so as to facilitate it dropping down into the hammer form.

Then progressive rounds of hammering and it begins to not look quite as futile.
IMG_5150.jpeg
IMG_5151.jpeg
IMG_5152.jpeg
IMG_5153.jpeg
IMG_5154.jpeg

The outer perimeter is still far too big. The hammer and dolly on the outside circumference is actually shrinking all those little pucker into submission.

It ends up shrinking a LOT, but if you could see behind that dolly, it just happens to be resting against the edge of the axle, which makes it rock solid.

Thus, when you tap down the "tucks" or puckers whatever your terminology, they actually shrink down quite quickly. Lots of light rapid taps and its just like watching a planishing hammer.

I made quite a few rounds with this old kingpin with a nice radius ground into the bottom of it.

At this point, I am using whatever I can think of to push it further down in there, and it finally came after quite a few rounds of shrinking the outer edges, and hammering down into at various angles.

You will find you'll need to hammer towards the inner edge, towards the outer edge, and straight down in the middle. Whatever makes it move, and you'll feel it moving while you're doing it.

IMG_5156.jpeg
IMG_5157.jpeg

It's still just a little bit too big on the outside.

So I got this little hammer off the wall that I reground the ends of a while back. It's just the ticket for tapping it down inside now, as it finally hits the bottom of the hammer form.

I can feel now when the metal contacts it, then move over until you have done the whole round.

It still needs to be planished out properly, but the outside diameter is very close now.

I'm still going to planish it out more with that hammer, then take it out and find or make a dolly on a post so I can do the final planishing.

I'm confident now that it will work out, but it's Friday night.
IMG_5158.jpeg
IMG_5159.jpeg

BTW, today's episode was over 3 hours of persistent hammering.

Did you get both pieces done?..want to see them side by side…gotta be very hard to get them same..

Maybe not applicable here but some years back we were stuck for a rim until one of the then club members came up with a chrome rim from an appliance store! A little tweaking & it was ok.....from 20' away! I always look for easy 1st b4 work!

That is as far as I've gotten with that project. I have other fires that are burning brighter. Just wanted to get that far so as to satisfy my mind that it actually could be done. Later this summer I will finish them.
As far as having them look the same, it shouldn't be that hard. Once the inner part of the blank has been cut out, the inner and outer circumference should both be a lot easier to manipulate.

At that point, the measurement has to be exact, then its just a matter of tapping and bending it with a bunch of patience till it measures good, but most important is that if it looks good, it is good.
The human eye can detect very minor defects. It just takes a ton of time to get it right.

The human eye can detect very minor defects. It just takes a ton of time to get it right.
Truth! More so if and when you train for it. “Train for it”, using it regularly or even being aware. The tough part is that it doesn’t seem to stay in one’s discipline… I am not a brick layer but a glance at a wall or tiled floor will “tattle”… however when done well, it does show! Thanks for the efforts of sharing, so much to take away from your ‘discussions’.
Cheers

I had some time to mess with this again. I finally found a much better "dolly" which I ground out of this old bolt I picked up somewhere in a previous life. I tend to save stuff that looks like it could be a good candidate for this sort of stuff.

We're all junk collectors aren't we? I ground this down several times until I got the shape skinny enough that it would push the metal down into the bottom of the hammer form.

It ended up much thinner than I first thought, but it worked well enough that I could finally get the dimensions sized right.
IMG_5195.jpeg
IMG_5221.jpeg
IMG_5222.jpeg
IMG_5223.jpeg

It isn't perfectly smooth yet, but smooth enough that I could measure them.