Kijiji classic ????

EDITED:
Back in the 60's some young fellas thought these were cool.
025d.jpg
(photo stolen from another thread)

I doubt that the seniors of the day agreed that 10 year old Hillman and Austin 4 doors were very sporty. But some young rodders did. The hobby will carry on and the older folks won't always see that what the younger folks like is worthy of appreciation.

Cheers, John

Is that not Ed Bressler's Hillman in it's early stages?

That's why it's starting to be difficult to sell 1920's, 1930's or 1940's vehicles.
Even some early 50's stuff.
Younger folks can not afford it and look for newer type cars.

EDITED:

Is that not Ed Bressler's Hillman in it's early stages?

Yes I understand it is. Curious about the Austin behind that looks like it's getting the same treatment. Anybody know more of that story?

Over the years, I've observed that younger car enthusiasts will usually work with cars that are cheap and readily available. In alot of cases, this usually means that the cars that you see geting modified are anywhere from 10-20 years old, depending on their condition, and those cars generally have fairly decent performance when stock, and are usually well supported by the aftermarket. For the current generation, that usually means cars from foreign manufacturers. The philosophy hasn't changed, just the kinds of cars that are being modified.
As already pointed out, younger folks can't afford the older cars, because they're just getting too expensive to buy and fix up, so they turn to the newer "classics".

Over the years, I've observed that younger car enthusiasts will usually work with cars that are cheap and readily available. In alot of cases, this usually means that the cars that you see geting modified are anywhere from 10-20 years old, depending on their condition, and those cars generally have fairly decent performance when stock, and are usually well supported by the aftermarket. For the current generation, that usually means cars from foreign manufacturers. The philosophy hasn't changed, just the kinds of cars that are being modified.
As already pointed out, younger folks can't afford the older cars, because they're just getting too expensive to buy and fix up, so they turn to the newer "classics".
i think it's always been that way. In the 50's kids were rodding cars from the 30's, in the 60's it was cars from the 40's, in the 70's, cars from the 50's, in the 80's, cars from the 60's and so on. Generally, 20 year old cars are cheap so kids get them and hot rod them. This, to me, is REAL hot rodding. the year make and model of the car is irrelevant. I remember when I bought my 57 belair 2dr ht in 1979. I thought it was cool as hell. My dad just saw an old POS. I sold an 85 firebird last year. To the 16-20 year olds, it was cool as hell. To me it was just an old POS. Gotta remember, cars from the 70's and 80's were around before these young hot rodders were born so they represent a long ago era to them, just like the 30's, 40's 50's cars did/do to us old farts that are in our 50's, 60's or 70's.

Quote "Is that not Ed Bressler's Hillman in it's early stages?"

I was wondering the same thing. Obviously b4 he switched in the straight 8 Buick out of that big chopped sedan. Interesting photo & history!

Sorry spoil everyone's fun -- I dare say that none of our member cars are classics -- they may cool and old and loved and in impeccable condition BUT they ain't no classics No fords, no Chevys no dodges or plymouths are on the list. No resto-rods, no hot rods, no customs -- that pretty much takes all of our cars out the "classic car" definition. We love our cars, they may be old or vintage but they ain't classics.::mad:
The CLassic Car Club of America has a very defined list of what is a classic, and we don't make the list. It a whole different ball game to have a restored 30's Packard or cord or Chrysler imperial or one the other true classics. For the ordinary Joe like me and my car- it's just a loved old car just like chevette of k-car:D:D "Collector plates" may be put on any old vehicle meeting the regs but my plates don't mean it is a classic.

Sorry spoil everyone's fun -- I dare say that none of our member cars are classics -- they may cool and old and loved and in impeccable condition BUT they ain't no classics No fords, no Chevys no dodges or plymouths are on the list. No resto-rods, no hot rods, no customs -- that pretty much takes all of our cars out the "classic car" definition. We love our cars, they may be old or vintage but they ain't classics.::mad:
The CLassic Car Club of America has a very defined list of what is a classic, and we don't make the list. It a whole different ball game to have a restored 30's Packard or cord or Chrysler imperial or one the other true classics. For the ordinary Joe like me and my car- it's just a loved old car just like chevette of k-car:D:D "Collector plates" may be put on any old vehicle meeting the regs but my plates don't mean it is a classic.

Pretty much sums it up. ;)

I have been in this hobby since 1957. The term "classic" has been misused for 50 years. Kiijii ads, and others refer to classics.

Most of us old car guys just tune out that phrase and keep on going.:):)

.. what do you mean tune out Keith .. I for one am a classic in my own rite .. :D

Last edited:

AMEN.!!!!!!!!!!