Joe Dirtier Charger

shane2290

Supporting Member
So I didnt bother posting anything on this car as it is not a hot rod and there is countless sites for this stuff but this is home and will share whats going on and how it all came about. Couple years ago a pal picked up a 68 Coronet and got license plate JOE DURT so I said I was going to get a 68 Charger and call it JOE DIRTIER and our other pal said he was going to buy a 68 Roadrunner and call it JOE DIRTIEST. If anyone has seen the movie will understand but this is a picture of Joe Dirt's car and we had no intentions of fixing them up to be really nice cars---just fun burnout cars.

JOE DIRT.jpg

So the Coronet came from down south (smart thinking) was good shape --patina and dents n dings 318 bench auto --swapped out to a 440/727--- The Road Runner needed quite a bit more coming from Ontario but not so bad --trunk pan and 1/4's. 440/ 4spd --now auto , was actually 1 of 320 . Now the Charger on the other hand from Ontario as well 383/727---looked good from afar but far from good .........was ok to drive around but upon closer inspection and poking at shit with a screwdriver we are into more work then we wanted but we are balls deep now and moving forward none the less. Here is pics of when I picked it up .........

IMG_20200728_172207[1].jpgIMG_20200728_172219[1].jpgIMG_20200728_172231[1].jpg IMG_20200728_172239[1].jpg

Someone has got a whiff of a stowaway ..........somewhere in there........never did find it but was nice nest in headliner

IMG_20200803_172155.jpg

the easy part ....parking it in the garage
IMG_20200803_163226 (4).jpg

knocking out some of the spotwelds to get out the rotten panels ---i might have the order messed up what I was doing but you guys will figure it out im sure lol

IMG_20201205_174320.jpgIMG_20201213_154329.jpg

So typical B body junk ....more rot ...more rot ---we are into rails and pans so built a jig to keep shit in place. Always forget to take pics but a few there

IMG_20201213_091421.jpgIMG_20201206_182200.jpg
Cheers

Man o man, these years of cars scare me for this! Rust and rot into the core… you are a good man for taking on the love and commitment this relationship will need ;-)

got Left rail knocked out ---------ohh my was quite the task --try and leave as much together as I can so dont get into anymore trouble then I have already lol

IMG_20210214_115726.jpg

buzzed off quarter for a patch panel ---but oh ya into rockers and quarter appears to be toast ---wheelhouse etc --1/4 or more filler in it ----here we go :(

Charger in box once all swept up

IMG_20210327_110724999.jpg

Cheers

The jig worked well ---rails slide into place ---did one at a time so had reference ........a little massaging up front but they are in and measurements are all spot on according to Dodge who have tolerances of up to 1/4 inch ---shook my head at that one. That is pretty big tolerance lol

IMG_20210313_183616000.jpg

fitting up wheelhouses but ran into issue that was rookie mistake , minor but lesson learned as I am no means a bodyman (person) but we are having fun !! there is lill things that are done that you dont see but not going to document every detail ---boring. But will keep pics coming as I can !

Cheers

IMG_20210327_152843811.jpg

So to this point we got trunk pan all drilled out and ready to go -----was alot of drilling as I dont have spot welder with 3 ft jaws --I wish but dont do this everyday thats for sure

IMG_20211212_102056265.jpg

Both trunk drops ( piece in between trunk pan and 1/4 panel ) needed to be molested and massaged --where they meet outside wheel house ---aftermarket panels are close --kinda but not quite

IMG_20211227_141951371.jpg

So here is a measure of how much mud is in RH 1/4 ----------so that got removed. This far in now might as well do it . I was able to find a full 1/4 for pass side but nothing on left --COVID shut downs--and still no supply , but did manage to find fenders as the originals were glass and beat up pretty bad .

IMG_20210320_132014304.jpg

Getting pretty naked -at least had a good roof skin lol ------so fixed rocker up it was rotten of course --pulled off 1/4 window regulator and cleaned it up and put in new rollers and bushings ---------looking at the design of this thing thinking wtf ? who come up with this idea? Will show you that one later.

Cheers

IMG_20220130_172637719.jpg

1/4 in place --kinda sorta ----fitment is as expected with aftermarket crap

image.jpg

quite a bit of tweeking needed here

image (2).jpg

Now these little bastards are just evil to get to fit properly ---(rear corner pie pieces ) ---keeping the lines straight and panels flush .....was a harsh reminder why I dont do bodywork. Got shock crossmember blasted up and put back in as well ---added some reinforcing to some of the shady factory stuff while was in there. Had to walk away from the corners for a bit so worked on something else. My neighbor has quite the assortment of stuff that he has picked up at the end of my driveway that I have hurled out the garage door over the years. Parts not so easy to come by these days with not much manufacturing going on soooooooooooo ............deep breath, will come back to that job later.

image (1).jpgIMG_20220227_160508136.jpg

Cheers

Hobbies are for one to create and get away from "everyday stress". This hobby allows one to have little victories along the pathway to creating a project out in a Shop away from family. By the time our profuse cursing and hurling of tools and pieces of metal, etc. is over, there were no witnesses to ask why we build cars, bikes, etc. By the time I get from the Shop to the house, I'm cooled down and "normal" LOL

Good work Shane
I can definitely relate to the walking away and move on to something else scenario . Usually when you come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes it seems to all come together.
When I get discouraged my brother reminds me , as @Scotty said, One bite at a time ! :)

There is a bit of freaky story after buying the Charger ,

My grandfather passed away in 2004 and was a hoarder , being old school never tossed anything out ......may need it one day he always said but that included readers digest from the 50's , newspapers and old auto traders.......... everything. So as we were loading crap in a dumpster I pocketed a old auto trader as it was kinda neat looking back at some of the cars for sale and how much they were. Back in 1992 I bought a Mustang GT from a Italian fella outta downtown TO --same year my wife and I started dating. So last year I needed to put up more shelves in the shop (charger parts) and cleaned out old cupboard I had and there was the old auto trader from my Grandfathers in there , so I started thumbing thru it and...... no way its my old Mustang ad in there but upon a closer look there is Charger in same ad. So I am freaked out and call my wife out to the shop to come and look at this as I think its the Charger sitting in front of me ...she thinks I am nuts .........in the meantime I call guy I purchased Charger from to ask where he had bought it ........guy downtown named Mario back in 92 ---no way cant be really? but ya it is it ---its the car in ad along with my Mustang same wheels and tires were still on it when I bought it as you can see in the first post --has 69-70 stripe on back not 68 --silly trac bars -and same guy " Mario" as in AD and on the used vehicle package that I got when I plated Charger. --Whats the odds me picking up the particular auto trader out of a stack and keeping it all this time only to have purchased both cars at different times ........Mustang sold couple years after bought it , not so practical in winter. Spooky story none the less .....and my Dad had identical option Charger back in the day but not this one --this one came from Sarnia originally --that would have been too crazy if turned out to be his !!

Cheers

IMG_20201204_201219.jpg