importing glass cars into Canada?

That is correct, it is imported into Canada as a 1932, it gets registered as a 1932, the car has to run "Blue and Whites", the vehicle staus on the registration is "Altered" not U-built.

I think the "make" is ubuilt and the "status" is altered, at least that's what they did on my roadster a couple of months ago.

With all due respect to anyone who has a glass car registered as a 32 Ford or other, do yourself a favor & check the way the laws are being enforced lately. I've gone through that with a few clients in the past year, if you get the wrong adjuster in the event of an insurance claim you will not covered by ICBC. Just because a representative at an insurance broker sold you insurance doesn’t mean you have insurance. ICBC takes the stand & says you misrepresented your vehicle & will go after you for damages.
Trust me, unless you have a lot of time to burn & don't mind dealing with officials who have agendas, register it as a U-built or you will get the shaft.
As for importing a glass car into Canada, you might still be able to get lucky every now & again but more than likely you’ll be turned back. The laws have changed & the enforcement of them has stepped up big-time. I have a few clients in this predicament right now.
I can’t stress this harsh enough, ICBC will find out & you will not be covered if you register a glass car as anything other than a U-Built. It is not a matter of if you will be found out; it is a matter of not having insurance when you get found out.
From what I have witnessed, it is not worth your while messing with.

Totally agree with you on this, and I don't have a problem with that at all. They can call it a watermellon if they want, as long as it's insured right.

Something else to keep in mind. When a car comes into BC from the US, ICBC takes the original title & either destroys it or files it. You don't get it back. They issue you the standard registration sheet with correct VIN# attached to either your storage insurance document or your mod. collector document. If down the road you decide to sell it down south some buyers are leery about ICBC's paper work & want the REAL title as they are used to. Not sure how it settles out back down there but I think it depends which state the buyer does the paper work. Just in case, I photo stat'ed the title & everything else I got crossing the border initially.

Attaboy Al, that's why you're the president!

I met with Riccardo who is the head of the SVA (Specialty Vehicle Association) the other day. This is the organization who helped institute the collector plate program & has been active in keeping our "old clunkers" (ICBC term) on the road. They are meeting with ICBC and our governing officials next week in hopes of resolving these issues.
The SVA is a group of car guys who understand the importance of keeping our cars on the road with original documentation, the viability of modified & glass cars, etc.
I'll let you know what comes out of the meeting. I'm sure they will post it on their website so keep an eye out. www.sva.bc.ca

The "meetings" have been going on for many, many years, but everytime they get close to solving a problem or we get someone in there that can actually see OUR side of it all ICBC does a "cabinet shuffle" and it all goes back to square one. We'll see!

Attaboy Al, that's why you're the president!

The president? Oh, ok, I do have some Lincoln valve covers which I'm Able to use ...I think...jeez, where's the rum..

I think the "make" is ubuilt and the "status" is altered, at least that's what they did on my roadster a couple of months ago.

That may have changed since my car came into Canada, I would not let the local agent do my initial registration without contacting ICBC and that is the way ICBC did it at the time, not from my input or influence from the local agent. :)

**Forgot to tell you that I also had to take mine to the weight scales and get a curb weight slip from them**

You are right about the ICBC/SVA meetings going on for years, you and I had a phone conversation about these points several years ago. That being said we are a strong supporter of the SVA as it is the only "voice" we have.

Last edited: