If you didn't build the car...

Well i'm not welding my frame,not painting,not doing upholstery or powder coating but !!!!
its my ideas and input from friends and forumers that 'make' the car so did i build it? no.is it mine?? Yes.

Let it slide... if everyone knows the car, they know who really built it and that gets around.

I personally give credit where credit is due, but some people aren't like that and are only kidding themselves.

Well, UHH Gee, I never had that problem - my cars will probably never make a magazine feature. I try to do most of my own work, but I know I'm not an upholsterer or a body man so that stuff gets farmed out. If anyone asks, I tell them too. But I don't think I'd really care if some guy who owns one of my old Rods takes credit - after all - I got the cash! You know what they say Money talks Bull**it walks. These guys always get found out.

Johnny, you also know that in Langley, or any smaller town, every one knows each other. Word spreads when some one buys a car, so all the car people would know anyway.

I think alot of us are like "general contractors" , you know, the guy who lines up everything when you build a house.... the house would'nt get built without him or the car without us.... bottom line is 99 percent of us cannot do everything, but I do agree you have to give credit where credit is due, those who help us along the way will always be on my list at the show & shines...

I built a complete car once..... out of lego! haha.:) I've dabled here and there on a few of my vehicles getting the nerve to do a whole build. the first engine i built was a 454 chebby with ls6 427 heads. that was at 14 years old. It went into a 77 chev pickup that was turd brown with orange interior! yummy. I have had alot of jap crap and big ol' four bys. Had a 89 5.0 mustang lots of fun, too many tickets! All of which i did small things too. My major job was the 77' f100 that i have everything on that truck has been rebuilt replaced by me except the trany which was done at Parkhill transmisions here in P.G. Interior was done at Lightning in P.G. and the body was finished and painted by Arnold Bolin in P.G. but all assembly, electrical, mechanical was done by me. It is not that i didn't want any help, its that all my friends were too busy chasin tail to worry about cars.:D But now that i have all of the friends on this forum for help and all my new friends from the saturday brekkys ive gotten more help, and im sure that there is more to come then ive gotten in the past 12 years. I'm proud of what i have driven. If it has been boughten or built by me, or even if i just change the oil in it! just dont take credit for what you didn't do.This hobby is about the love of hotrodding and the friends you have to enjoy it with! jim

The 50 chebby pick up i bought offa a friend of mines widow . He owned if for like 20 yrs . He bought it from some dude in the Satans Choice club in Toronto . Its sposed to have and feels like it a 68 Vette 3fiddy 40 over dble bump heads Toronto. A Pacer ind frt suspension . Borg warner super t10 and a Chevelle posi rear . The guy who I got it fronm didnt ever do much to it , I doing some upgrades and mods to make it the way I like it . Thats what I tell anyone that asks me about the truck ..77.

When I first moved to and bought this 100 yr old historic house in NS, people would say, you bought the old DeLong House and I would say yes, but I'm only the caretaker of the community's heritage.

If you have to say anything, and this would be a subtle slap, if asked if you liked the article, say yes, however, it would have been nice if the builders name was mentioned in the article. And leave it at that.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied here. I wasn't pointing to anyone in particular on the board, but I think you all figured that out anyway. It seems we are all on the same wavelength here, that is credit where credit is due. The ones who "clip you" as John in Oz says are found out very quickly. The same I guess is true of those who pretend to build stuff. Thanks for the cool down, and I'm glad this sparked some pretty intelligent and thoughtful discussion.

John in Oz, b-bob didn't paint my car dusty rose, the guy prior to b-bob did when he restored the car in the early 1990's. Before he sold the car to me, his plan was to get rid of the dusty rose and paint the whole car red. I just happened to get it before he got that far.:D

hey 77
is that truck yellow or was it yellow with black interior long box with a sun visor? if so i put the motor and the front end in that truck years ago

johnny same kind of guy, that trailers his car to the show and unloads a mile away,

then tells everyone he drove the car all the way from his home town:eek:

This has happened since the start of hot rodding. How many George Barris cars were later found out to be done by Dick Dean or others. How many cars did Boyd actually get his hands dirty on. Sometimes the magazine is working from poor notes or a tech sheet only or the writer is an idiot. Like Bullet says, if confronted make a lighthearted comment and move on. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are directly involved. The fact that a car I've worked on deserves recognition means more to me than whether I actually receive credit. I know that I've done a good job and that's what matters.

Sometimes building a car is a team effort. Even Chip Foose has people helping him build his cars and does not do every tiny piece himself. I don't think that it is a contest to see if you can build a car yourself, but the comrodderie of friends. Friends that spend a saturday evening putting that motor in one more time, only asking a couple of cold beer in return.

Russ:D

Hahaha, this just happened to me, TODAY!:mad:
About four years ago I built the chassis for a "friend", gave him a smoking buddy deal too.
The car is in Canadians Hot Rods and Classics this month.
The model A sedan, I built the whole chassis at my shop, Z'd front and rear, mounted the diff, mill, trans etc etc.
He promised me he'd bring it to our Invasion Hot Rod Weekenders as he was building it to show off my work.
And guess what, hes never even brought it to even show it to me!
My buddy just called and told me about the feature on it and my friend Daves truck,and said there is no mention what so ever of me doing anything on the car. Heck I even built and set up the tri-power on it too:rolleyes:
I guess it would have hurt for him to mention anybody else actually workin on the car besides himself!

-Shiny

Hey Shiny, now I have to get the magazine so when I see the car at a show, I can say"wow did Shiny ever do a good job on yer chassis".....think I'll get a good reaction?

Ya mean I didn't build it??????

I been tellin the story of how I built my car so long I actually belive myself LOL:D

A great Quote for us all to remember is;

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's" Jean Paul Richter:cool:

Magoo