How do you title a fiberglass car in Ontario?

Chad

How do you title a fiberglass car in Ontario? How does it work with the emissions and such..I have worked on lots of glass cars but never owned one...I have a guy that wants to do some trading on some stuff I have for a fiberglass 32 roadster body....

Chad, have a look a this:

http://www.canadianrodder.com/features/fyi/registering.htm

I published this a few years ago after conferring with the Ministry.

Look for the section on "Kit Cars". In fact when the Model is KIT, there is no requirement for Drive Clean despite the model year. And, specialty insurance brokers in Ontario recognize replicas and the insurance is no higher than any other hot rod / custom vehicle.

This process requires that you apply for a VIN using Ministry paperwork and accompany it with an affidavit.

Like I said I have worked on lots of glass cars but never owned one.......I am still not sold on the roadster idea LOL.

Chad,
All my cars have been steel cars, might have something to do with the fact that I'm a welder:D:D Having said that, two years ago, I bought a project car, '34 Ford Roadster, that was started by "Homer" (Lemon ice) some years ago. It's an old Norglass body. I've been driving it the last 2 summers and working on improving it the last 2 winters. Diane & I drove that car on the Points East Tour. This Winter, Cooter & I are swapping the 302/C-4 for an LT-1 and 5-speed. The point I'm trying to make is this. When I'm pulling the bugs out of my teeth after a brisk ride down the hiway, the feeling is the same. A TOTAL BLAST!!!! In fact, last summer the all-steel '34 5-window gathered cobwebs while we were running the wheels of the roadster. My advice is .....go for the deal and build the car. YOu can always sell it if it doesn't meet your expectations.
Good Luck,
Mike

I've had a few glass cars, and have to agree with Mike.... the fun factor is the same. The price of nice original steel parts these days has been a factor in my choice to go with 'glass, and since I was lucky to list Dick Williams of Poli-Form as one of my best friends, there wasn't much that couldn't be accomplished. I've helped stretch, chop, widen, shorten, and narrow glass bodies at his shop, so I got a good schooling on fiberglass in general. Somewhere recently I saw a 32 three widow body, hinged, power windows installed, front and rear glass.... and it looked good... on the pallet for $8800 US. And if you don't like it when you are done, you can sell it...
Clarke

I'm not sure about that. Someone on the HAMB said "Fiberglas cars are like wearing a condom, you do the same thing, but just doen't feel right":D:D

That's the part I am having a hard time with..I love doing the roof chopping and building custom floors, chassis and all that stuff,,,If I go this route it'd like working with Tupperware or a Corvette to me....No offense to the glass car owners...To me it's like skipping a whole step...I am still on the fence,,,,

Last edited:
:)

For us, a lawyer signed an affadavit to acknowledge the year, make and model of the car. He even gave us a copy because MTO needs a copy - both included his seal. The vehicle was not even built yet. We showed him the pics of the parts and a pic of a complete car similar to our project.

Note: an appraisal and insurance are not needed when it is not in a driveable condition.

Take the letter to MTO where they create the VIN for the project or a car that does not have a VIN. As the VIN is created, the clerk asks questions which determines the letters and numbers that are used in the VIN. The letters RBT (rebuilt) are included in the VIN - especially if the vehicle is not on their list. This means that the vehicle is too old and MTO does not have a record of the information for that particular vehicle.

Sorry to ruffle feathers...BUT...the arguement about steel vs. glass is getting old!
I'm building a glass car (34 Ford) and will challenge anyone to tell me that it's not a real car. A car is about the 'spirit' and nothing else.
Sure, I could have gone and bought a 'cookie cutter' 34 that was red with a SBC, but that is not what I wanted. I have spent insane amounts of time, making many, many things that will always identify my car as being mine; instead of opening an account at Speedway or the like.
Would I rather work on steel? For sure, but the price is out of reach.
Plus the fact that steel doesn't make you itch is a bonus.
The guys on the HAMB mostly have their heads up their ass when it comes to this arguement, guess that I'm just getting sick of hearing about it.
The car is about the build, the build represents the spirit or soul of the car.
I guess coming from a background of nitro-burning, fibreglass 'cars' has some advantages. Fibreglass does not bother me.
Sorry to rant, but come on....
I find the info on titling a glass car, very usefull.

Frank, I think the comments made here about glass and steel here are just that - i.e. comments. But yes, it's tiresome when it becomes an argument.

I want to comment on something Beatle said though about VINs.

According to the Ministry, the prefix RBT should only be used in conjunction with a vehicle that, in fact, an actual vehicle of a specific year - not a new vehicle constructed with a replica body. In that case the VIN prefix must be ASD (asssigned) with KIT as the model. If RBT is designated as the model, it WILL trigger Drive Clean if the year is within the limits of testing.

Frank cleared up a world of questions I had..I was "told" That you MUST title the car as a Rebuilt or home built Vehicle..Then it would have to go through emissions..I didnt want to get into any of that...But 32 fords are good sellers...I could always build it and sell it and get a "Glass 41 Willy's"...Now I would be into that !!!...Really when you think about it most "steel" 28-34 ford's have glass fenders on them anyways ..so who cares LOL....

Last edited:
:)

For us, a lawyer signed an affadavit to acknowledge the year, make and model of the car. He even gave us a copy because MTO needs a copy - both included his seal. The vehicle was not even built yet. We showed him the pics of the parts and a pic of a complete car similar to our project.

Note: an appraisal and insurance are not needed when it is not in a driveable condition.

Take the letter to MTO where they create the VIN for the project or a car that does not have a VIN. As the VIN is created, the clerk asks questions which determines the letters and numbers that are used in the VIN. The letters RBT (rebuilt) are included in the VIN - especially if the vehicle is not on their list. This means that the vehicle is too old and MTO does not have a record of the information for that particular vehicle.

I'm glad to see this post myself ... it seems to simplify things a bit more ...
I was just getting confused when reading the origional posting at :-

http://www.canadianrodder.com/featur...egistering.htm

Especially when trying to get an Ontario Ownership when you've finished working on an early car ...

I hope this means that you can go to the MTO and get a vin and unfit ownership for one of the early Barn Finds or as Found ... such as an old Model T or A that we may of come accross for sale in a farmers field that doesn't have an ownership ?? Even sometimes being a collection of assorted parts to make up a whole car that have been accumulated from years of searching ???

I had thought ... incorrectly I hope ... that you had to do most of your work fixing up the car ... then apply for a vin / ownership ... then get an appraisal ... then go to MTO and pay taxes assessed value on the assembled/completed car in order to transfer/obtain ownership ??

Would this work if I were to buy an old Model T / TT or A that had been rusting out in the field or back of the barn for 20 or more years ... without an ownership ... just a bill of sale ??

I've looked at, and considered a few such cars, but chickened out when I started to wonder if I would ever be able to get it on the road with ownership and licenced with insurance ...

Ontario Safety rules

Since they [MTO] INSTALLED new Safety Standards EG even how dark the tint can be on front windows .The stations have a gauge to see the darkness and if to dark no pass .Well I have a T Bucket for sale [with a 1923 Ford ownership] and went to different garages until I emailed MTO AND they said 10-15 days .Than called local scales MTO and talked to a inspector who said he also has no REGS to help me. He also got in touch with head office and waiting .He said a T Bucket type car is not a 23 Ford and should have kit car ownership .And fenders and wiper a must. Please only relaying what I was told so not wanting to argue .And 2016 MTO rules have been redone that is true