Hard rubber streering wheel finish

randaroo

I'm painting the steering wheel on my '47 Merc and would like to finish the outside ring as black, the wheel looks to be hard rubber and i'd like to do what is best for this.
Anybody know how I should do this?
I will be color painting from the grip ring to the centre, its the grip ring(wheel) that I'm thinking about.
Hard "clear" over it or what?
Any ideas, help, greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Randy

I don't know, ... but that never stopped my before. I think a clear coat of some kind might work or what about Plasti Dip, it's a rubber coating at Canadian tire etc. It would be fun if it came off doing a hundred around a corner at night ! :D

I have painted them with single stage and flex agent. That way when it wears through it will wear to the original color not just through the clear coat. That could cause issues for repainting?:confused:

Ok I done done it

Just to let y'all know.
I sprayed it with the color urethane as previously described and am waiting, overnight, to see what it hardens out like.
Since I color sprayed the whole darned works if I don't like the touch or color I can opt for a wrap as a compromise. The whole thing is a compromise as I really liked the touch of the old hard rubber natural of the old bigger 18" wheel. Reminds me of old trucks we learned to drive on as youngsters, (before the folks found out). "Wait a second, I thought I left the truck over there..."
Everything is a work in progress.