Greetings all, glad to be here

BC_Blowby

Hello,

My name is Eben, I’m from BC and reside in the Columbia-Shuswap region near the kootenays. I just did a lengthy post and tried to submit it but I had to log in again and lost it all.:confused:

I’m mostly into 1930’s - 1950’s cars and trucks. I’m a lover of all things Flathead related and plan to tackle my first full rebuild in the not so distant future. I’m a welder/fabricator by trade and have done a fair amount of my own body work over the last decade. I try to do as much mechanical and mods as I can on my own with occasional help from shop mates and friends.

My current driving and on going project is a 1950 2dr Ford Shoebox with a Flathead V8, a car I’ve always wanted to own. I picked it up off a gent from Kamloops in “driveable” condition back in 2015.
I listed all the work I’ve completed in detail in the post I lost which took a while and will just summarize it this time. Since 2015 I have gone over almost everything and rebuilt, replaced or renewed parts front to rear.
- rebuilt rear axle (with help from an experienced friend)
- rebuilt 3spd Borg Warner OD
- all new suspension front and rear (except rear springs I had re-arced)
- all new kingpins, bushings, bearings etc (replaced driver spindle)
- re-done dual exhaust with porter mufflers and vintage Fenton headers
- new clutch throw out bearing/clutch disc
- renewed steering linkage etc
Other goodies include rechromed bumpers, stripped and powder coated rims, all new WWW tires from Coker tire. There are a ton of odds and ends.

Most recent during winter 2017/2018 was a full front disc brake conversion, new dual res (under floor), hard line, flex line, residual valves (2lb for front 10lb for rear) and proportioning valve. One of the best upgrades I’ve done so far.

The 50 was converted to 12 volt at some point in its life but was never done quite right and I continue to have unreliable charging.
Currently in the process of tearing down a good spare gen to convert the field coils to 12 volt, clean up armature and install a new 12V voltage reg.
Bunch of holley 94’s to rebuild and a deuce offy intake to go on, I plan to update the distributor but I’m unsure which way to go....
Either a Bubba’s conversion or one of Mallory’s mechanical advance unilites they just released for the 49-53 flatheads?

Of course I’m no guru. I have lurked forums for a while and it’s time I join up and share what knowledge I can. Aside from the obvious chance to learn and expand my own knowledge, I’m also in search of a good reliable machine shop that can do Flathead work preferably near me as well as good quality parts suppliers (carb kits etc).
I have had luck south of the border with a lot of parts but with the CAD in the toilet for the foreseeable future I’m getting tired of paying all the additional costs. Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

This has turned into a long post again haha, but as far as I see it an introduction of this sort is the proper way to do it.
Cheers!

Eben..................thanks for the great introduction. Sounds like you are already a hands on guy. There is a member on here from Regina who rebuilds flatheads for folks in the three western provinces. Perhaps he will see this and chime in. :)

Welcome to the group Eben. Your project car sounds like a good one. Good luck with it and keep us up on the progress.

Thanks guys!

I will take a good look at some of the older flathead posts as well, thanks Keith.

Will do John, I plan to do some build posts when I can. I understand photos need to be hosted on an external site in order to add them here? Any preferred sites?

Cheers.

I understand photos need to be hosted on an external site in order to add them here? Any preferred sites?

Cheers.
Many of us are using Imgur for this, but any photo hosting / sharing site should work. Keith has posted a thread how to on this if you need help. If you have any problems, members here can help.

Welcome to the site. Glad to hear you are running the flathead. I am running a flathead in my pickup and really enjoy it. I may be planning a trip out to Radium in early April, can I contact you when I'm in the area?

Many of us are using Imgur for this, but any photo hosting / sharing site should work. Keith has posted a thread how to on this if you need help. If you have any problems, members here can help.

Hey John, ok great thanks. I will look into imgur and take a look through the threads regarding posting photos.

Welcome to the site. Glad to hear you are running the flathead. I am running a flathead in my pickup and really enjoy it. I may be planning a trip out to Radium in early April, can I contact you when I'm in the area?

Hi Neil, thank you.
Right on, that is great to hear you are running a Flathead too. Yes, feel free to get in touch if you make the trip. I’m in the Revelstoke area which isn’t to far away and radium is a nice area to go cruising in.
I have plans to travel to Ontario in April so the timing might not be the greatest. I do try and make it to some of the car shows, cruises and swaps through out the year which is always a great time to meet up with other car guys too. :):cool:

Well if we can't hook up in April, Wagu and I are travelling through Revelstroke on July 16th on our way to Deuce Days. We are planning a stop in Revelstroke to fuel up and stretch the legs. Maybe we can make that work.

Welcome aboard.

Great intro and from the looks of the avatar, good looking shoebox too.

Brian

Welcome! I too am new to the forum and have already met a ton of good guys and had some great discussions. You won’t be disappointed.
Kimberley has a new anual car show once again, it’s not huge but it’s a ton of fun. Maybe see ya there this summer!

Cheers

Brian.

Sounds good Neil, that would be great. Keep in touch about April anyways, if you come out earlier in the month I should be able to meet you in Radium. I’m not heading out east until the 14th or 15th.

Welcome aboard.

Great intro and from the looks of the avatar, good looking shoebox too.

Brian

Thanks Brian.
I’m going to get on imgur shortly and try to figure out posting photos. When I do I’ll start up a build thread so guys can get a better look at the car and see some of the work that’s been done. It’s no show stopper but it is a solid driver.

Welcome! I too am new to the forum and have already met a ton of good guys and had some great discussions. You won’t be disappointed.
Kimberley has a new anual car show once again, it’s not huge but it’s a ton of fun. Maybe see ya there this summer!

Cheers

Brian.

Right on, thanks! I also just saw your intro here, good looking projects you have going on. Thanks for the heads up about Kimberley! If I can make it work I’ll come check it out.
Is it listed on Harrison’s Auto Event list page?? That’s usually my go to for tracking shows and swaps.

Cheers.