Greeting from northern New Brunswick...

Floodgates

Thanks for accepting me in your group! I'm the proud new owner of a 1946 Chevrolet Rat Rod truck. I know very little about this truck, but would like to connect with somebody that does. I was told two different stories, the first is that the truck is from PEI, the 2nd, from Saint John, NB. SJ would make sense since there is a performance shop sticker inside the cab. A bit of a long shot, but anybody with any info about this truck, please get in touch with me... thanks! I'm also here to sponge on the wealth of experience you guys have.... looking forward to absorbing :)

53372823446_6b377a7178_m.jpg

53373136414_59cdf9bd8a_m.jpg

53373629325_665dda11b2_m.jpg

53373629820_d2abf42064_m.jpg

53372265497_a180341625_m.jpg

Floodgates :cool:

Last edited:
Welcome . The term rat rod gets tossed around pretty often and seems to cover almost anything that isn't stock . Some are cobbled together pieces of @hit that have no business being on the road . Your appears to be very nicely built and we would love more pics and description .

Welcome . The term rat rod gets tossed around pretty often and seems to cover almost anything that isn't stock . Some are cobbled together pieces of @hit that have no business being on the road . Your appears to be very nicely built and we would love more pics and description .
Thanks. I didn't build it. As a matter of facts I bought it less than a week ago and know very little about it. It has a 355 stroker engine, 4 speed Muncie and a 10 bolt posi. differential, I know that much. I also know that it need a rear disc brakes conversion from the short drive I took. It has ladder bars in the back and it's a fabricated Z frame. I would guess an older (>10 years) build. I'll take some more pics and post them... Good looking coupe BTW!

Welcome, yup that is Cool looking rig! Fun to get personal with new acquisitions, exciting and new. Thanks for jumping in and sharing. I look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing of ‘updates’.
Greg
Red Deer County, Alberta.

We love to give advice sometimes even when you don't ask lol . A couple things off the top . If your engine is a 350 chev a 355 is 30 over bored not a stroker and let us know why you feel you need to switch to rear discs as properly set up drums should work just fine .

We love to give advice sometimes even when you don't ask lol . A couple things off the top . If your engine is a 350 chev a 355 is 30 over bored not a stroker and let us know why you feel you need to switch to rear discs as properly set up drums should work just fine .
The engine... just repeating what I was told it was. And the brakes, good point, I agree, before spending on a conversion, I should make sure that they are properly adjusted.

Welcome aboard the group here. Anything you're mulling over, you'll get plenty of opinions here. Of course you know what free advice is worth.
For posting photos I and some others here use a third party photo hosting service and use links so the storage memory on this site is not burdened. I use Imgur and there are several others as well. This will allow larger and higher rez photos.
As for front disk / rear drum brakes, Your car should have an adjustable brake proportioning valve to allow you to adjust brake balance front to rear. You want to adjust so that the rear brakes don't lock up to early but are still effective. Some valves are pre-set, but if the weight balance on your rod is different from what the valve is for, an adjustable valve is the answer.
Good luck with your project. I say project because these cars are an ongoing labour of love.

Welcome aboard the group here. Anything you're mulling over, you'll get plenty of opinions here. Of course you know what free advice is worth.
For posting photos I and some others here use a third party photo hosting service and use links so the storage memory on this site is not burdened. I use Imgur and there are several others as well. This will allow larger and higher rez photos.
As for front disk / rear drum brakes, Your car should have an adjustable brake proportioning valve to allow you to adjust brake balance front to rear. You want to adjust so that the rear brakes don't lock up to early but are still effective. Some valves are pre-set, but if the weight balance on your rod is different from what the valve is for, an adjustable valve is the answer.
Good luck with your project. I say project because these cars are an ongoing labour of love.
Thanks, the rear brakes do lock up before the front... more so in reverse and I think that the vehicle is tail light, or at least it feels that way. Project for sure! I have a long list of items to sort out both mechanically and esthetically! I started with the grill that was positioned at 90 degrees and sitting higher than the truck's cowl line. Just that made a huge difference in the flow and stance.

Also, thanks for the advice on the 3rd party photo host... I had a dormant "flickr" account (since 2006) and used it for expediting the process. I'll soon check out what's out there now.... haven't had the need to use one in 18 years or so. Cheers!

Thanks, the rear brakes do lock up before the front... more so in reverse and I think that the vehicle is tail light, or at least it feels that way. Project for sure! I have a long list of items to sort out both mechanically and esthetically! I started with the grill that was positioned at 90 degrees and sitting higher than the truck's cowl line. Just that made a huge difference in the flow and stance.
Sounds like you have a good eye! I see way too many of these trucks with the grill shell higher than the cowl and basically kills the look imo. (y)