Flathead Distributor

Stan

I am going to convert my 46 Mercury pickup to 12 volts. It has the stock flathead V-8 with a crab type distributor. I have been looking on the net for conversions to eliminate the points and go with electronic, like the Pertronix units. Not many options. 49-53 distributors are common, but not the earlier ones. Speedway has a Mallory distributor but won't clear the stock fan. There is a fellow on the HAMB who markets rebuilds, but with shipping gets pricey. Anyone have suggestions or know of a kit that will work? May have to go with the HAMB one or stay with points.....
Stan. ........

Despite the bad rap that the Pertronix seem to have, I have one in my truck. Its an old original motor that smokes blue, so I'm sure its on its way to fouling the plugs. Motor is worn out with no oil pressure at idle and it still fires instantly when you turn it over, even in the winter when I start it up on warmer days.

I run one on my Chevelle, points and a MSD6AL, I shift at 7500 with no point bounce, ever! The msd doesn't care about point gap or dwell, all it needs is the points to open and close. The points are just a trigger for the box, and with only millivolts going thru them the points will last forever without corroding or pitting. I ran the same setup on a sbc in my daily for 6 years and never changed the points...

...Thanks for the input there guys. I like suggestions that are tried and true. Less grief for me when converting the Merc. The truck still has a lot of the original wiring in it, so that will all get an upgrade also. Making it a little more dependable...Plus temps next week so it comes out of storage. Put the charger on the battery tonight. When we actually hit spring, I will tackle it.....Meanwhile, here's the ol girl............
Stan. ..............

Picture073Large.jpg

Like the one ton in the back ground Stan. A freind in Victoria bought one out of Salt sprind Island in the 70s with 21000 mile on it. Drove like new.

....I found the Merc One Tonner about 10 or so years ago. They finally sold it to me a couple years ago. Runs but not well. Excellent Mercury parts truck and a rebuildable flathead to me. I filled the top end with oil before I put it away.....
Stan. ...............

miscpictures001Small.jpg

Picture007Large.jpg

[QUOTE
Picture009Large.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Did you get your dist. figured out ?? Mark (mbog) is right on about the msd box even bubba thought it a great idea when i asked him about doing that on my 53 merc 1/2 ton.

...Still running stock 6 volt system... still planning here...
Stan. .........

Stan call Pertronix Tech line direct.
They can spec out a part number
I have a 1951 Mercury flathead and they were very helpful. I purchased their recommended 12 volt coil as well which was about the same price as the local NAPA store.