Flathead Date Code

Is there a difference in how Canadian date codes were marked different then the US? I have a '49 8BA with a date code of 'I E C 9' stampled on the intake manifold, according to the best I can find this number doesnt mesh with how it was to be coded, could be a screw up code too though.

"It consists of a series of a letter, a one or two digit number, and a second letter. The first letter is the month. The number is the day, and the second letter is the last digit of the year [http://flatheaddrag.com/birthday.html]
The letter code is M=0, G=1, B=2, L=3, A=4, C=5, K=6, H=7, T=8, R=9, S=10, E=11, F=12.

G 20 B would be manufactured on January 20, 1952."
Thanks,

Thanks Slim, yes it is the number stamped on the intake gasket face as you said. The "C8BA" is stamped on the top where the bellhousing bolts onto the block.

Ford Canada wasnt one to follow U S numbering systems so i would guess that the stamped date code would of originated in the windsor/ essex plant . Ive all so read not sure how true it is that Ford Canada offerd the 221 cu" flathead as an industrial engine up to the 80s. And no im not mixing it up with the french verson/ simca allthough its posibble thats who was supplying them with blocks.Im sure ford also supplyed replacement blocks into the 60s and god knows what would of been stamped in them. Maybe some others will pipe up and let us know whats stamped in ther canadian blocks. Seems hard as hell to find good information on Canadian production. do you Know what the engine came out of ? Wondering if the I E stands for industrial engine

I know the engine came out of a truck in the mid 50's and was sat in a barn and sat there till 2 years ago when they drug it out and the guy I bought it from took it home. I do not think it is it original truck engine though. It had one 8RT water pump and one car water pump. From what I can tell rough measuring the stroke and bore it is a stock bore and 3.75" stroke.

I had read that Ford used an I instead of a 1 for most codes and numbers. Thought that the C in the date code was to go first on a Canadian code from what I had read.

I will agree on finding good information on Canadian Production, as I have been chasing the date/production number on the body of my model A, all I know is its assembled in Winnipeg.

Is the stamped number on the intake gasket face of the block, the serial plate? Or is the Serial plate somewhere else?

Wouldn't the truck engines be date coded the same as the car?

The serial plate would be on the A piller or firewall. New the engine number on the serial plate would match the number stamped in the block. Saved the dealer from cralling all over the car to get information. truck numbers? Ive got a merc site bookmarked someware Ill try to find it when I get a chance should be the same...maybe