Fibreglass fender protection

hemrod

Hi Everyone
I was just wondering what people use for protection on their fibreglass fender wheel wells? Bought a beautiful hotrod with fibreglass fenders and drove it very slowly down our gravel road to get it home and wound up with two star cracks on the one rear fender. It does have some kind of undercoating on them but obviously that didn't work. It is a very hard undercoating so not sure if a rubbery one would work. We do want to drive this thing but if its going to keep getting cracked then......
This is our first fibreglass fendered vehicle and its going to suck if we can't drive the thing

I have glass fenders on my '32 Ford.when i was building it I glued high density 1/4 inch foam to the underside of the fenders where the stones would hit.Even with that after about 50,000 miles in 6 years I still had to repair the stars and repaint them.I got the foam from a place in St.Catherines,they suggested this would be best.If you decide to do this or something like it get the best contact cement you can buy the canuck tire stuff just doesn't work long .

I know a couple fellas that have sprayed box liner in them the trick is to have enough cushion between the rock and the glass/metal. I use a real good thick coating of rubberized undercoating on my steel fenders (no different when it comes to rocks and starring) only its in the paint not jell coat. Even at that it depends on the size and speed of the rock too... :D but my coupe has been on the road for 25 yrs plus and no stars.

Bash

... on my old dually rear fenders I used to use high density spray foam and then box liner over top ... worked real well for me and lots of gravel roads:D