Engine oils

dennis

Any suggestions on the best oil to run in the early style flat tappet engines,such as the ford flathead

Maybe ask 'flatcat", I use lucas racing oil (I think, I'm at work now, oil is at home) that has a lot of extra zinc.

... Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car has the highest zinc content by far that I have run across so far .. I add a jug of Lucas oil stabilizer as well:)

... Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car has the highest zinc content by far that I have run across so far .. I add a jug of Lucas oil stabilizer as well:)

I use that now too....10w30 Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car motor oil.

Edelbrook has something very similar too.

(note: use to use Shell Rotella 15w40 Diesel Engine oil but they have reduced the zinc content and will be further reduced in the future.)

I use that now too....10w30 Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car motor oil.
Five quart jug is around $40.

Edelbrock has something very similar too, they also have a zinc additive supplement.

(note: use to use Shell Rotella 15w40 Diesel Engine oil but they have reduced the zinc content and will be further reduced in the future.)

Last edited:
I've been using Case number 1 10-30 that has been used in their products both gas and diesel and has remained high in zinc content for decades with no adverse damage to any engines with flat tappets I run. Last year it was 82dollars gst in for 2 -10litre jugs. Any Case dealer has it. It comes in most viscosities.

I've been using Case number 1 10-30 that has been used in their products both gas and diesel and has remained high in zinc content for decades with no adverse damage to any engines with flat tappets I run. Last year it was 82dollars gst in for 2 -10litre jugs. Any Case dealer has it. It comes in most viscosities.

I had forgotten about this.

Good price for 2 x 10 litre jugs.

Synthetic

I have always used synthetic even in the 1967 mustang. Hopefully I'm not making a mistake. Oh well, one can always rebuild or upgrade a small block Ford. In fact I know of a low hour marine 351 that could be had for a song. Might make the Mustang jump. Think the wife would notice if I changed the motor in her car?:)

If you're running a flat-tappet engine without extremely high valve-spring loads, the best engine oils are heavy duty engine oils, which have both diesel and gasoline engine ratings (eg, API CK-4/SN, CJ-4/SM, etc). Racing oils have high ZDDP levels but are weaker in engine cleanliness additives than HDEOs. See Corvair Oil Article.

The amount of ZDDP in the oil isn't crucial because the microscopically thin, antiwear film doesn't depend upon the concentration of ZDDP in the oil. ZDDP is consumed with wear so greater amounts of phosphorus extend the useful life of the oil. Phosphorus is the antiwear component of ZDDP and a good phosphorus target concentration is around 1200 ppm (0.12%). Excessive amounts of phosphorus can cause increased engine wear (1400+ ppm) and camshaft spalling (2000+ ppm). See Engine Wear and Engine Oil Myths - GM TechLink .

I use Petro-Canada Duron SHP 10W-30 in my engine. It has the same additive package that the 15W-40 (API CK-4/SN) and meets the WSS-M2C171-F1 Ford spec for 1000 ppm minimum phosphorus level (1150 ppm).

As for reduced phosphorus (ZDDP) levels in diesel oils. This is absolutely not true. The API CJ-4 spec limited phosphorus to 1200 ppm max, which is the same as the current CK-4 spec. There was no phosphorus limit on the older CI-4 & CH-4 specs and those oils has phosphorus levels in the 1100-1400 ppm range. API SN limits phosphorus to 600-800 ppm for ENERGY-CONSERVING (Starburst, ILSAC GF-5) grades (ie, 20-grades like 5W-20 and 30-grades like 10W-30).