Dodge transmissions

dodge41

I was wondering if any of the mopar experts out there could tell me exactly what years A500 and A518 transmissions were used in dodge trucks? And also what should I look for to identify one? Any help would be appreciated.
TIA:)
Matt

Transmissions A500 A518

Ok, I owned a 91 Dakota with the A500 and the Truck had the 318 Throttle body. I know the 92 and newer with the magnum were suppose to have the A518 because the hp was upgraded from 175 to 230. I would suspect the 360 would also have the A518, but I would double check.

Thanks Mopar yak, I ask because I have a friend with a wrecked 96 2wd full size truck with a 318 magnum in it and was wondering how to identify if the tranny was a 500 or 518, or neither. One of these trannys would be ideal for my truck project.
Matt

Thanks Mopar yak, I ask because I have a friend with a wrecked 96 2wd full size truck with a 318 magnum in it and was wondering how to identify if the tranny was a 500 or 518, or neither. One of these trannys would be ideal for my truck project.
Matt

Matt,
The 96 Dakota with the 318 should be a 46E Tranny. This is a electronic Transmission. If you took the whole setup computer engine and all it would be ok, or you would need to find a aftermarket tranny controller for that one.