derusting with molasses

I'm glad this came up again cause it gets me thinkin about when Davey Jo was showing/telling me the facts about the system. I was waiting for the punchline then realized ...HOLLLY CRAPPPP...he's serious !!! The smug cornholer had me again !!!:D[/I]

We decided to give this a try. We are using an old deep freeze. The top seals well and also locks. We have it mixed 4 to 1 right now. Is this too potent? We can add more water if needed.

let know how you make out with the 4:1......if you don't mind what is the cost of mollasses?

Alcan - try a ratio of one part mollasses to ten parts water. That should work fine. Let us know how it turns out.

Can't see where it will hurt. I've heard of guys going 7:1, and since it doen't attack the steel, give it a try, and let us know.

Here are a couple of pics of our set up.

IMG00099.jpg

IMG00100.jpg

Took a couple of things out of our tank today. Results were pretty good. Just needed to scrub a little bit with a soft brush, rinse and dry. Pressure washer would probably be best.

IMG00170.jpg

When you take the part out of the tank, blow it off with your regular garden pressure nozzle. That will take the crud off. Let it dry for a half hour or so, and then take a quarter inch electric drill with a wire wheel, and go over the part. That will bring out the shine in the metal. Time consuming to be sure, but worth it.

i have been using vinegar on some small stuff as well lately. it works just like the washing soda and takes a little more time but the result is the same .....5 days, baking soda rinse and a few minutes with wire wheel and you are ready for paint.

i have been using vinegar on some small stuff as well lately. it works just like the washing soda and takes a little more time but the result is the same .....5 days, baking soda rinse and a few minutes with wire wheel and you are ready for paint.

bct,
Are you using the 10% Pickling/Cleaning Vinegar? or regular white vinegar(4 -6%) acitic acid?

I also hear that if you warm it up some the process will be somewhat quicker.

I need to bring this back up. I got me a 250 gallon fishing tote, filled it with a mix of 7 water to 1 molassess. Put in some sheet metal and walked away for a month. Came back, pulled the piece out, hosed it off and watched it flash rust in mere minutes. So I tried it again, this time a A deck lid. It came out like new metal, shot it with the hose and very quickly hit it with WD40, and watched it flash rust before my eyes...What am I doing wrong???

I need to bring this back up. I got me a 250 gallon fishing tote, filled it with a mix of 7 water to 1 molassess. Put in some sheet metal and walked away for a month. Came back, pulled the piece out, hosed it off and watched it flash rust in mere minutes. So I tried it again, this time a A deck lid. It came out like new metal, shot it with the hose and very quickly hit it with WD40, and watched it flash rust before my eyes...What am I doing wrong???

Pull 'em out, hose 'em off and then scrub in PPG Dx 578 metal conditioner. Keep it wet with the solution (mixed 1 part to 2 parts water) for 10 - 15 minutes, then neutralize with water and it will not rust for a long time.

Pull 'em out, hose 'em off and then scrub in PPG Dx 578 metal conditioner. Keep it wet with the solution (mixed 1 part to 2 parts water) for 10 - 15 minutes, then neutralize with water and it will not rust for a long time.

Like as in a dipping tank???

Molassis

There are a couple different types of molasses

Food Grade Molasses has a higher sugar content, and is VERY expensive.

Molasses with Sulfur in it is the type that you can buy at the Feed Store. It's good for Vitamins for the cattle, though, if you put your parts through it, it'll probably be high in Iron for the cattle also - LOL -

But if you Mix Molasses with plain old white sugar, add some Yeast and distill you get Rum - I suggest aging it with Burnt Oak for a couple of months before drinking.

Also, there was a huge Molasses Spill in 1919 in Boston. Pretty gruesome disaster, actually.

Craig

I did my model a sedan this fall with molasses and it worked great parts took one week I did the whole car except frame and a frame....worked great!

I used a electric heater and a small fountain pump to keep the water in the 75 degree range really circulated. My tank was 4 x 5 x 4 feet deep...at a ratio of around 7:1...molasses was $85 dollars at my local cattle feed mixing plant.

Derusting with Molasses

I did my model a sedan this fall with molasses and it worked great parts took one week I did the whole car except frame and a frame....worked great!

I used a electric heater and a small fountain pump to keep the water in the 75 degree range really circulated. My tank was 4 x 5 x 4 feet deep...at a ratio of around 7:1...molasses was $85 dollars at my local cattle feed mixing plant.

hello,i've heard about molasses as a de ruster but not much on how well it de rusts.For example does it get the bad pits out or just light surface rust?Also what is the active ingredient in Molasses that actually removes the rust?
I'm currently de rusting using electrolysis ,washing soda and a battery charger,but a really slow process, that kind of stops once most of the metal becomes exposed.The other way that worked for me was using phospheric acid.The acid works great but getting ridiculously high priced in these parts.I found using both the electrolysis and acid as a final finisher worked out with great results,but cannot as mentioned find a cheaper supplier for the acid.

takes it down to bare metal in seams/pits everywhere the solution touches.to test how it its working just remove a smaller piece and pressure wash it if its clean the rest is probably done as well if not give it a few more days if your heating the solution or weeks if its not heated.

pull it out and rinse it good and dry as best you can to prevent flash rust. I used a zinc rust remover product made by por 15 on some interior panels to stop the flash rust but be aware if your spraying later with a primer expoxy they dont like each other. bonding issues could ruin your whole paint job always read tech sheets that your planning on using