Copper head gaskets

dennis

Rebuilding my 255 merc mild street engine. Theres a bunch of material on advantages disadvantages on the hamb and ford barn sites on using copper or composite . Cant decide whether to go with the copper, apparently theres galvanic reaction issues with aluminum heads .Any suggestions ,experience on which is best to use.

Last edited:
Ive read some more info. Basically the copper gaskets are great for high compression applications. Not as good in sealing coolant so some of the old timers say . As well I didnt like the fact that using copper and aluminum will set up electrolysis which might bugger up the aluminum heads. This kind off influenced my decision. Will go with the composite and copper spray the faces unless someone out there has more info on the advantages of using copper. My engine is a mild street engine so this should be sufficient for me.

Last edited:
Don't use copper anything with aluminum!

Use steel faced gaskets. With sealing spray. Copper and water is a frigging battery! Aluminum and cast iron expand at different rates. The aluminum will tear a standard gasket. I have composite gaskets for my Plymouth flatty. One side is steel faced for use with aluminum heads. Fel pro specials.

Hey Dump', good info...to make no mistakes with your stated info; the FelPro 'special gaskets have only 1 side with a steel face? Now with that choice, if understood correctly, what surface do you mate the steel side of the gasket to? (I would assume to the cast iron face)....so i will ask to get the correct answer. Thanks for the good information and explanations.
Greg

I would have to look again but if I recall the steel side goes against the head.

Cast iron doesn't expand when heated(that is why frying pans are made out of it) aluminum expands quite a bit at even low temperatures.