Converted to 12 V neg grd.

shaune

Supporting Member
But I have a couple issues, not sure who is here to help anymore.
Issue one, signal lights turn on but don’t flash. Aftermarket from SoCal and it all worked before on 6 volt. New 12 volt flasher installed. Hmmm not sure why no flash.
Issue two, wiper motor doesn’t work. Well it moves real slow about 2 inches then stops. Installed a voltage reducer from Vintage Auto Garage, experts in the field. Jumpered it all back to 6 volts and it works fine, tried 12 volts bypassing the reducer and Jimeny they thrashed around so motor is all good. Waiting to hear back from Vintage Auto Garage on this issue.
Issue three, gas gauge has a resistor from same company. It works well I guess but when I turn the key on...sometimes the gauge registers, other times it doesn’t. So I start the car and it registers again. Hmmm.
Issue four, electric rad fan. I think I have this one sorted out. Don’t by cheap shitty plastic switches from Princess Auto. Bought a 20 amp metal switch from Cdn Tire.
Issue five, ammeter doesn’t register. Troubling again because I switched the wires as instructed. Not a big enough snag to keep me from driving it 800 miles but I would like it to work. Installing a volt meter under dash for the trip for now.
Any input ?

Are the turn signal bulbs 12v. led?

A permanent mounted voltmeter is much safer the an ammeter, .... (its a long story)

Not sure on the rest.

Yes the bulbs have all been changed to 12 volts, but not LED.
I can imagine the issue with a defective ammeter.....i was nervous when i turned on the power the first time.

Check the voltage at the wiper motor with the voltage reducer (resistor) connected and the wiper on and engine running. I suspect it is too low. In which case the resistance value of the reducer is too high for your wiper motor. If this is the case and you take the resistance of the reducer with an ohmmeter then you can calculate the resistance needed. Then shop for a resistor with a 40 amp rating of the correct value. Sometimes you have to use two resistors in parallel to get the correct value. If this is the case, you may be able to use an adjustable pot in parallel to fine tune the voltage at the wiper.

Best option in my opinion would be to replace the wiper motor with a 12V motor adapted as necessary.

I looked around for a 12 volt wiper motor as reducers and resistors are not permanant fixes in my view but there was nothing affordable to fit. $280 US isn’t an option right now. Found a heater motor for $40 from Napa, but no wiper motor. I suspect the voltage drop is too much too, tough to measure as this reducer does weird things when turned on. Waiting to hear back from the supplier.

To follow up with my wiper issue....
The reducer drops the voltage to 2 volts, well that ain’t enough to run 6 volt wipers. The company hasn’t answered my emails asking why. I ran it a little at 12 volts for my last ride but sparingly.
I think my next try will be a resistor instead of this $40 reducer.