Considering a move to Nova Scotia

George !

If living cheaper without much snow is your main goal (hard to do in Canada) , I would think a small hamlet in the Okanagan would work with a lot less stress, ..........and 94 octane and no need to transfer cars.

I have considered that, but the prices in Nova Scotia are astonishingly low, even compared to the okanogan. I am also attracted to the idea of trying something really different, and I have a child who will be attending university in ten years, and we would like her to be able to live at home while she does that.

George, I hear you. I sold my acreage on the Chilliwack River / Yarrow and moved here in 2001. What I found here is that the summers are fabulous, with blues skies most everyday. There's plenty to see and do. The scenery changes from county to county, from dairy and orchard farm to rocky shores, to white sand beaches. The Atlantic is crystal clear and cold, compared to the Pacific. NS is quite spectacular for such a small province. The fall colors are something to see, which are in their full fall color show now. Fall weather can also last sometimes into Christmas, and other times winters can be brutal, more so up Truro way and the Annapolis Valley / Bay of Fundy. West of Halifax and the South Shore is where to be for milder winters .. Lunenburg and Queens Counties and the deserted white sand beaches. Give it some thought.

Man, I gotta say, that sounds great, and really fits with the positive side of my hopes/expectations for a move there. GREAT feedback. I think what we need to do is 1) wait until spring and get feedback from my wife’s niece on her impressions/experiences, and 2) make a trip back there to visit her, and to see it first-hand. My daughter and I are both very outdoorsy and LOVE nature, I grew up in a heavily forested rural area. My wife thinks she is a committed city girl, but I think she really hasn’t had enough experience with a rural lifestyle, and doesn’t really know what she’s missing. Man, I long to get back to living somewhere where I can still see the stars at night.

Sorry I haven’t logged in to this thread for a couple days, I have a kid in elementary school, and weekdays can get a little hectic, with all her extra-ciricular activities. GREAT feedback from all, thanks for your responses!

Am currently in Truro. Great small town. 14000 or so I think

Saw a house at realty store photo. Newer home on one acre full basement and double garage and heat pump. $345,000.

Am currently in Truro. Great small town. 14000 or so I think

Saw a house at realty store photo. Newer home on one acre full basement and double garage and heat pump. $345,000.

Yes, that pretty typical of the kinds of places I am finding, and LOTS of them in that price range are lakefront properties! I have been looking at properties up to about 400k, and the places available in that price range are really nice. It’s really amazing what your money can buy you back there.

George ... I paid $85,000 for my turn of the century home on 10 acres back in 2001. Worth approx. $220,000 now.

Last edited:
George ... I paid $85,000 for my turn of the century home on 10 acres back in 2001. Worth approx. $220,000 now.

1150149_10151891718473593_713669400_n.jpg

12671649_10153989343853593_5580379012843279720_o.jpg

1098032_10151891718493593_2133421107_n.jpg

402603_10151597221228593_1886188013_n.jpg
That is BEAUTIFUL. That’s what I want.

Thanks Bullet, !
George, if you're wanting / looking for mild winters and beautiful ocean sistas and white sand beaches, the South Shore Lunenburg County is where you want to be. Prices are starting to rise, so you'd better decide soon or it won't be worth the move. Be prepare to suffer through the odd hurricane though if you decide on NS
.. lol .. no biggy, I've lived through a few in the past 20 yrs. Yes the Studebaker was beautiful, I only wish I could have kept her. Thanks

Last edited:
bullet, as a side note to this thread, I know Glen, the buyer of your Stude, although I haven't seen him in about two years, pretty sure it has been worked on but not on the road yet.

Yes, that pretty typical of the kinds of places I am finding, and LOTS of them in that price range are lakefront properties! I have been looking at properties up to about 400k, and the places available in that price range are really nice. It’s really amazing what your money can buy you back there.
Hi George, did you ever move to NS?