Considering a move to Nova Scotia

George

We are considering the possibility of a move to Nova Scotia, perhaps in a year or so, but I have some concerns about licensing/insuring some of my cars there. Are there difficulties registering/insuring vehicles that have been tubbed or have roll cages? What about cars that are fenderless? I would assume that you have to put fenders on to get through the provincial safety inspection when you arrive, but are you likely to be hassled if you are driving a fenderless car on sunny days? What about cars with no hood?

I would also be interested in hearing about the car scene in general, and the weather, general cost of living, ect. We would be looking at going there to retire, so work is not as much of a concern. I am specifically thinking about the Truro area, but would be interested in hearing from any car guys in Nova Scotia.

Hopefully Bullet checks in and responds. He moved there from B.C. years ago. I know he had a homebuilt frame that they would not certify and he had to have another one built by a licensed builder.

Scotty is right on. Bullet had to hire an engineer. He finally gave up and sold car

Sorry fellas, I haven't been around, life has gotten in the way. I did see Frank Colgoni and some of the rodders when they came last summer for Tours East 2017. As for George's question about the Maritimes and Registering Modified Vehicles.. I was told when I first arrived in NS, that all modified vehicles needed to be certified by an Automotive Engineer and I was having trouble with the only guy in the Maritimes that certifies vehicles and he's in NB. Even though I had a 2x4 frame made by a guy that builds race cars, the Engineer felt it wasn't strong enough for a 400hp SBC, ( bull shit ) and he wanted a 3x5 frame made or I may as well trailer my car to shows. I found out later that any licenced mechanic can fill out the paper work from the Motor Vehicles after meeting and talking to a fellow rodder at a local show. And once a vehicle has been deemed mechanically sound, and of a certain vintage year, it does not require the MVI that all other daily driven vehicles need every 2 years in order to stay on the road. What I did originally when I moved to NS was to transfer my Studebaker from BC reggy to NS reggy without a problem. To do this I said I wasn't registering the vehicle for the road at this time, as I was still in the process of rebuilding the car. I told them, I was just wanted to transfer registration from one province to another and did not need a plate at this time but I would take the paper work with me and have it filled out when the vehicle was ready for it's inspection. I didn't give up on my Studebaker as PG409 suggests because I couldn't get it registered. The mechanic I met at the show n' shine had no problem filling out the Motor Vehicle paper work for me. I then took the papers in and registered the Studebaker as an Antique Vehicle and received an Antique plate. The car was legal at that point for the road, even though the car wasn't ready yet. I've seen a lot of modified hotrods and muscle cars at car shows here with Antique Plates and the Police don't seem to have a problem with them, even though they're not stock original. I sold my Studebaker to a hotrod in NFLD because I felt I'd never get it finished, plus I was in the middle of a divorce at the time. As for Real Estate, it's cheap here, depending on what you're looking for and where you're looking to settle. Winters can get expensive, if heating with oil. I burn wood and save myself thousands in heating costs every year. I've burned as much as 10 cord and as little as 6, depending on the severity of the winter at a cost of $225 / cord split and delivered. I also own a very large turn of the century house. There's no Natural Gas here, but some folks go with heat pumps, which is fine if it's not a harsh winter and you don't lose power. I have no idea about prices in the Truro area as I'm over on the South Shore / Bridgewater / Lunenburg County area and one of the best areas for milder winters. Go to REALTOR.ca to get an idea of prices. I hope I've answered some question.

582356_138761649592185_1874237116_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry fellas, I haven't been around, life has gotten in the way. I did see Frank Colgoni and some of the rodders when they came last summer for Tours East 2017. As for George's question about the Maritimes and Registering Modified Vehicles.. I was told when I first arrived in NS, that all modified vehicles needed to be certified by an Automotive Engineer and I was having trouble with the only guy in the Maritimes that certifies vehicles and he's in NB. Even though I had a 2x4 frame made by a guy that builds race cars, the Engineer felt it wasn't strong enough for a 400hp SBC, ( bull shit ) and he wanted a 3x5 frame made or I may as well trailer my car to shows. I found out later that any licenced mechanic can fill out the paper work from the Motor Vehicles after meeting and talking to a fellow rodder at a local show. And once a vehicle has been deemed mechanically sound, and of a certain vintage year, it does not require the MVI that all other daily driven vehicles need every 2 years in order to stay on the road. What I did originally when I moved to NS was to transfer my Studebaker from BC reggy to NS reggy without a problem. To do this I said I wasn't registering the vehicle for the road at this time, as I was still in the process of rebuilding the car. I told them, I was just wanted to transfer registration from one province to another and did not need a plate at this time but I would take the paper work with me and have it filled out when the vehicle was ready for it's inspection. I didn't give up on my Studebaker as PG409 suggests because I couldn't get it registered. The mechanic I met at the show n' shine had no problem filling out the Motor Vehicle paper work for me. I then took the papers in and registered the Studebaker as an Antique Vehicle and received an Antique plate. The car was legal at that point for the road, even though the car wasn't ready yet. I've seen a lot of modified hotrods and muscle cars at car shows here with Antique Plates and the Police don't seem to have a problem with them, even though they're not stock original. I sold my Studebaker to a hotrod in NFLD because I felt I'd never get it finished, plus I was in the middle of a divorce at the time. As for Real Estate, it's cheap here, depending on what you're looking for and where you're looking to settle. Winters can get expensive, if heating with oil. I burn wood and save myself thousands in heating costs every year. I've burned as much as 10 cord and as little as 6, depending on the severity of the winter at a cost of $225 / cord split and delivered. I also own a very large turn of the century house. There's no Natural Gas here, but some folks go with heat pumps, which is fine if it's not a harsh winter and you don't lose power. I have no idea about prices in the Truro area as I'm over on the South Shore / Bridgewater / Lunenburg County area and one of the best areas for milder winters. Go to REALTOR.ca to get an idea of prices. I hope I've answered some question.

582356_138761649592185_1874237116_n.jpg
Thanks Bullet, VERY informative, and a little scary. I have already been checking real estate, compared to Greater Vancouver, where I live, INCREDIBLY cheap! I own a house here in Surrey outright, and a 2 acre property in Maple Ridge I own with my brother. There are several places around the Truro area with 5-6 acres, nice house, nice shop, beautiful rural areas, around 350-400K. I could buy one cash, pull the pin here and be free and clear with a mill+ in the bank, and get the hell out of this god forsaken city, that’s a very very attractive proposition.
My niece is attending Dalhousie right now, that’s what started us thinking about this. The winters seem to be only marginally worse than here, at least when compared to Alberta or Sask. I will do more research, and would like to hear from more guys back there, feel free to post away, impressions about the car scene in general, the climate, and registration/insurance problems/solutions.
We will wait until next summer before we make up our mind, by that time, my niece will have been there long enough to give us her impressions as far as the climate. From what I understand, the winter varies a lot from the east side of the island to the center and west, I understand the winter weather on the east side of the island is pretty harsh?

Bullet, nice looking Stude!

Last edited:
Does anybody know what year a car has to be to qualify for the vintage plate?
EDIT: found it on the internet, 30yrs old.

Last edited:
What about fuel? Is Chevron 94 widely available?

Chevron is strictly BC only although at one time far ago, Irving colours were very similar to Chevron..

List of Truro gasoline stations:
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...Truro+NS/RK=2/RS=6Owt0UlRgOcDXBQQDvL0K_U36Yw-

Petro-Canada has Ultra-94 but there is no P-C stations in Truro that have it.

Esso has Octane 93 but only available in the Greater Toronto area.

Shell only has V-Power Nitro+ premium gas but doesn't mention the Octane rating.

Last edited:
Chevron is strictly BC only although at one time far ago, Irving colours were very similar to Chevron..

List of Truro gasoline stations:
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...Truro+NS/RK=2/RS=6Owt0UlRgOcDXBQQDvL0K_U36Yw-

Petro-Canada has Ultra-94 but there is no P-C stations in Truro that have it.

Esso has Octane 93 but only available in the Greater Toronto area.

Shell only has V-Power Nitro+ premium gas but doesn't mention the Octane rating.
That’s a BIG negative. I have used (or attempted to use) the petro-can 94 before, and was THOUROUGHLY unimpressed, loaded with ethanol, ran hot and had to jet up. Did not like it at all. Shell is 92, never even bothered trying it, I would have to pull timing to run it. It could just be the yellow pages, but all the stations I looked at on the link you posted are regular and diesel only. No Chevron 94 could be a deal killer for me. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
That’s a BIG negative. I have used (or attempted to use) the petro-can 94 before, and was THOUROUGHLY unimpressed, loaded with ethanol, ran hot and had to jet up. Did not like it at all. Shell is 92, never even bothered trying it, I would have to pull timing to run it. It could just be the yellow pages, but all the stations I looked at on the link you posted are regular and diesel only. No Chevron 94 could be a deal killer for me. Thanks for the info.

There is definitely no Chevron 94 in Nova Scotia.

Strictly BC, and who knows how long that will last....they were bought out, including the Burnaby refinery, by Parkland Industries (Red Deer), who owns the Fas Gas label, plus Race Gas independents and
hauls petro to all Esso independents in Western Canada. Outside of the big three (Petro-Canada, Esso, Shell), they are the #4 player in the market.
I hear they are already transitioning to Fas Gas suppliers.

The big pluses of moving - housing is inexpensive compared to Surrey.....you can live like a king.
The downside -- heating bills and winter weather. The snow dumps are horrendous.

Last edited:
There is definitely no Chevron 94 in Nova Scotia.

Strictly BC, and who knows how long that will last....they were bought out, including the Burnaby refinery, by Parkland Industries (Red Deer), who owns the Fas Gas label, plus Race Gas independents and
hauls petro to all Esso independents in Western Canada. Outside of the big three (Petro-Canada, Esso, Shell), they are the #4 player in the market.
I hear they are already transitioning to Fas Gas suppliers.

The big pluses of moving - housing is inexpensive compared to Surrey.....you can live like a king.
The downside -- heating bills and winter weather. The snow dumps are horrendous.
Man if we lose the 94 here, that would SUCK, and make my decision easier. How bad are the winters? What part of Nova Scotia are you in, east, west, North?

Man if we lose the 94 here, that would SUCK, and make my decision easier. How bad are the winters? What part of Nova Scotia are you in, east, west, North?

sorry, I don't live there.

Info is from the weather network and the news of the major storms that hit the Atlantic provinces each year.
Some of the storms can be 30CM or more at a time.

However, here is a link, just srcoll down for the info.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr.../ca.aspx/RK=2/RS=xaBZaTXRtCuKmRB.uEaibHJszOI-

George !

If living cheaper without much snow is your main goal (hard to do in Canada) , I would think a small hamlet in the Okanagan would work with a lot less stress, ..........and 94 octane and no need to transfer cars.

Thanks Darryl. Sorry I got the outcome wrong.
Thats quite alright keith, no problem. I felt I was never going to finish the Studie even though it was close, and I didn't want the car to deteriorate while it sat waiting for me, so I let it go to a car builder in NFLD to finish. I was hoping he would have kept in touch as to the cars progress and completion, but have yet to hear from him. All is good.

Bullet, nice looking Stude!

George, I hear you. I sold my acreage on the Chilliwack River / Yarrow and moved here in 2001. What I found here is that the summers are fabulous, with blues skies most everyday. There's plenty to see and do. The scenery changes from county to county, from dairy and orchard farm to rocky shores, to white sand beaches. The Atlantic is crystal clear and cold, compared to the Pacific. NS is quite spectacular for such a small province. The fall colors are something to see, which are in their full fall color show now. Fall weather can also last sometimes into Christmas, and other times winters can be brutal, more so up Truro way and the Annapolis Valley / Bay of Fundy. West of Halifax and the South Shore is where to be for milder winters .. Lunenburg and Queens Counties and the deserted white sand beaches. Give it some thought.

Last edited:
Darryl. Currently in Toronto taking train to Halifax
Would like to connect with you as we will be in NS for ten days
Did not bring my laptop which has our fb
Connection on it. Pls email me your phone no and other
Details. Thanks

Mail is robinski63 at hotmail dot com