Chopping an early 50's Ford pickup.

Bash and scratch

Supporting Member
As someone once said "there is more than one way to skin a cat". I know some folks like to pancake the roof skin, that gives it a lower appearance, however I don't like messing with Henry's factory lines much. So what I did was maintain the windshield pillar lines and maintain the stock rear window size, while lowering it 2". Which meant the roof would be slightly longer, easiest route is to have two roof panels to work with.

In this photo the tape is the distance it will be lowered.
DSCN9972.JPG

Also wanted to keep the rear window opening stock, so cut was made bellow the window opening.
DSCN9954.JPG

Pillars were cut and welded maintaining the original slope.
DSCN9966.JPG

The 2" was removed from bellow the window and the panel was fitted.

DSCN9952.JPG

DSCN9953.JPG

The panels overlap for now but will be trimmed for a butt weld.
DSCN9955.JPG

DSCN9956.JPG

Rear panel was then welded at the bottom to the cab. A small tuck was need for both bottom corners as the roof tapers. As well as a revision of the body reveal as it tapers also.
DSCN9961.JPG

DSCN9965.JPG

DSCN9970.JPG

Last edited:
There was a bit of damage to the donor roof that had to be dealt with before welding. It was also held into place with screws to mark the final cut.

DSCN9958.JPG

Welded up, still needs a bit of metal finish but did this for a buddy who is a bodyman so he can finesse it and strip the paint off it himself.
DSCN9962.JPG

On to the jamb and drip rail.
DSCN9959.JPG

Inner and rail done.
DSCN9969.JPG

DSCN9967.JPG

So I’m picture #4 there is about 3/4 inch miss alignment from the top to the bottom section. What did you do on that section ..and the windshield posts..I don’t see any pie cuts in the corners.....??.?.

Great work . It's interesting how individual likes - visions differ . Your chop retains some of the things I am a trying to eliminate and changes things I like . But that is why this is a great hobby .

So I’m picture #4 there is about 3/4 inch miss alignment from the top to the bottom section. What did you do on that section ..and the windshield posts..I don’t see any pie cuts in the corners.....??.?.
In that photo the panel is just sitting there, the difference was not that significant, however there was a bit of a tuck involved as the roof does taper. As for the posts because I added length (slightly) to the roof panel by using the donor panel, the pillars did not need to be pie cut as the factory Henry lines remain the same only shorter.

Last edited:
Well this was interesting, my first thought was, so that took you the morning, did you do yard work in the afternoon :p
Very subtle and from what i see i like the look. For the windshield now.....how does the guy cut the original and I assume just the height would have be cut out of the windshield ? The window rubber I figure can be trimmed and butt the ends.

Well this was interesting, my first thought was, so that took you the morning, did you do yard work in the afternoon :p
Very subtle and from what i see i like the look. For the windshield now.....how does the guy cut the original and I assume just the height would have be cut out of the windshield ? The window rubber I figure can be trimmed and butt the ends.
Ha ha Shaune, well roof on Saturday, doors on Sunday. And glass....lol not my desk... lol however I believe it should just be 2" off the top? Possibly a slight grind on the side edges toward the top?

Last edited: